The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I think you're just assuming a direct correlation with no evidence at all and the way I see it the two aren't related in the slightest.

them caring or not about people thinking they're dumb doesn't have to directly change their voting choice. It might even strengthen their choices as a "**** you".

that's not not caring though.
    Last edited: April 5, 2016
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Your ignorance truly knows no bounds.
    Close. They do care - they just think an insult to Trump is an insult to them personally. Patronizing him by calling the guy a five year old on national television makes the anchor look like an absolute hack to a Trump supporter. As an example.

----------

The majority of voters not voting for Trump do not understand his motives and his machinations. This campaign is simply another move in a twenty year game of political chess. He's studied the primaries before him and realized that the people don't vote for policies - they tend to vote for the guy who shouts the loudest. That's not to say individuals aren't smart here in America. The group is just much easier to persuade due to social proof. It's just a strategy. it's not his policies in office.

He's flipped on issues plenty, but it's comparable to pretty much every other politician in the race. He almost always mentions that he changed his mind after getting the facts straight or some such. He appeals to the rational, educated class by saying that he can be reasoned with. Choosing Trump doesn't make you racist, or stupid, or whatever. It's your choice.

Trump isn't the ideal candidate (Reagan FTW), but he's not an *obviously* bad choice. Hillary Clinton is an obvious bad choice. Bernie Sanders is an oblivious choice. Ted Cruz is still Ted Cruz.

Final point: Go listen (actually listen, don't just read about it in some article or get it from John Oliver) to a press conference or to a debate with Trump. He starts almost every single statement with a direct, personal attack on his opponent. I did it in this post to Colin. It's a distraction. It's meant to throw the opposition off-balance - they respond to his BS instead of participating in the discussion. Thus, he remains one of the few people talking about policy on national television.

And Stuart, I swear to God. Research your posts. Trump's got plenty of detailed policies. Look on his bloody website. Google his foreign and domestic policy. This isn't hard. We aren't five anymore.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well I just think it's funny how people think Trump hates Mexicans. There's a difference between hating our relationship with Mexico and hating its people.

Both sides put words in others' mouths.
  4. tatsujb

@Devak ....as evidenced all around us.
    I'd never have believed it if someone told me I'd hear this being said one day of Cola Colin of all people. yet here we are.

you realize you saying this may or may not have backfired right? (as to how it make you look)
    Devak likes this.
  5. tatsujb

How do you justify the "they're going to pay for it".

How childish would you think it would be if I said to you "you're wrong about american politics so we're all gonna elect Bernie and Drumpf supporters are going to be the ones to vote for him"

you get it?

that's the kind of thing where your only reaction when you're targeted by this claim is to scoff. like "wow this guy's full of it".
    and you'd be right too. it's not because I say you'll have to do something that you'll feel under any obligation to do so. Especially if that thing goes against your interests and your rights protect you from it ever happening.

...and also you'd feel angry. angry is what you'd feel.

and that's exactly how the Mexians feel.

Drumpf saying he doesn't hate Mexicans and loves the Mexican people doesn't exempt him from saying any rascist assoholict thing he wants to to them. it's not a get out of jail free card.
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Billions of dollars get transferred from mexican workers back to their families at home. All the president has to do is declare this flow of money a danger for the economy or whatever.
  7. tatsujb

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrigggggggggght.

BS and also that's exactly what I mean. it's the attitude of a six year old : "nuh uh! no tag backs and I call anti-tag back no quitsies!"

and the Mexican people going : "So Jorge over there got money from his relative in the U.S. but me Pedro and Juan didn't but we all gotta cough up some dough because of a loosely correlated thing that can't be proven asked by a foreign president that has no jurisdiction over us whatsoever..... hmmm here's a proposition: how 'bout you stuff it? that sound good to ya?"
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Blindly hoping that loud screaming equals good politics is what I call stupid.
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  9. tatsujb

seriously though I'm the only one who go the fanta reference?
  10. mered4

Annnnnnd you fell for the whole insult as a strategy thing out the gate. I respect Colin on many different levels - his coding skills, for example. His politics is not one of those things.

Second chance tatsu. Argue the point, ignore the insult. Practice.
  11. mered4

Oooh! Implying that good politics is dependent on your opinion! Brilliant. Colin, it is good politics because it works, not because we want it to be.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

How am I implying that? Loud screaming is a meaningless thing. Voting just based on that isn't the point, you're supposed to vote based on policies that you believe/trust in. How can you trust Trump to follow through with any of his political "ideas" if you yourself explain that he sometimes drastically changes his mind because of new information he is given. Are you not afraid he might be "given new information" on a topic that is important to you and suddenly not represent whatever it is you want anymore?

Also I believe a respectful discussion is a lot more fruitful than wildly screaming insults at each other.
    Somebody who constantly starts his talks with insults gets not much respect from me.
    MrTBSC, stuart98, tunsel11 and 3 others like this.
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Insulting people so you can then claim they got distracted by the insult (and are therefore inferior in some way) is the stereotype of the online reactionary. "you have emotions therefore you're wrong, hahaha go me"

It's pathetic. It undermines your position and it means people don't have to debate the points you're attempting to prove because your points are predicated on distracting your opponents so they won't ever bother discussing said points.

I mean in this entire quote chain you don't have a position. You have no points worth debating. All of this is a complete waste of time that you're reinforcing by literally trolling people (the accepted definition of trolling is baiting people to elicit an emotional response, usually to distract the actual debate at hand) and claiming that your trolling is justified because "you're teaching people to ignore insults".

Something you've no doubt taught yourself so you don't feel guilty at causing other people offense, I'm sure. But as I've just demonstrated, your technique doesn't hold up to critical analysis. You're not teaching anyone anything. You're just being condescending as a veil to cover your satisfaction at offending folks. Reactionary to a fault.
  14. mered4

Whoa. You took it to a whole new level. I'm describing Trumps strategy and nothing that it works, nothing more.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Why is it bad to change your mind? It's better than knowing you're wrong and following through with a bad action.
    mered4 likes this.
  16. tatsujb

it works????! as evidenced by WHAT??

Drumpf's many successes I'm sure...
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

It works very well apparently, people voting for him.
    Then again he's not doing something different then politicians all over the world.
    Promising things to get elected at all costs. He does it just more over the top then most, to get the media attention. And flipflopping so he seems good choice for whatever stance you take on something.

My feeling says he's really more in it for "making Trump richer and greater" then to make life better for the average US citizen.

The contrast with Sanders looks huge from here, who looks more genuine and has been very consistent compared to your normal politician.

But will any of these candidates be able to change anything when they would be elected?

Or will it be like Obama, where everything is voted down in congress?
    Cause that what it looks like is happening everytime. Standstill government, no matter who you going to end up with.
    When Republicans and Democrats are so far off ideology wise, it's going to continue like this forever I fear.
    Maybe you guys need a real third party....
    MrTBSC, stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  18. tatsujb

which itsleft is below knowing what you're on about.

as per his opponents.

which explains why we're puzzled by your choices.

is it better to be able to change your mind about the earth being round ? no. there's no point. we've established it is. is it better to be able to change your mind about elements of big bang theory? most definitely there's too little evidence for either big bang or big bounce to become predominant.

this is exactly Drumpf. he's a child still in the learning process who's gonna have to make all the newborn mistakes before he gets it right and there's too little time in a mandate for that nor is it worth it when you consider there are perfectly competent people available.
  19. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

You not only described it, you implemented it.

But reactionary worldview rhetoric tends to go hand in hand with the ability to reconcile hypocrisy even in the face of absolute evidence, so I'm completely unsurprised.
    dom314 likes this.
  20. tatsujb