The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I doubt that Trump has much to do with that, getting rid of that law has been talked about long before Trump.
    But yeah stupid law.
    elodea, tunsel11, tatsujb and 2 others like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

There are a lot of throw back laws in EU countries that essentially make no sense these days... case in point:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568475/Ten-stupidest-laws-are-named.html

I especially like numbers 8 :p
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@thetrophysystem
    wow shiet man

facts don't get me in enough of a twist I have to go through the trouble of TPL-block-ing them x'D you're killin' me
    Last edited: January 26, 2017
  4. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Have to admit i'm not too familiar with german politics. You guys have so many parties it's hard for me to understand the scene.

Anyway, for you americans you should be extra vigilant about all the talk of tariffs that trump is going on about. Especially if you're a trumper, because when he fails to deliver on his economic promises as he will if he pursues this, you're going to lose the next election right back to the democrats.

5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

[​IMG]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Show

"The Daily Show[3] is an American news satire and late-night talk show television program hosted by Trevor Noah. It airs each Monday through Thursday on Comedy Central. Describing itself as a fake news program, The Daily Show draws its comedy and satire from recent news stories, political figures, media organizations, and often uses self-referential humor as well."

How does one take Tatsu seriously here. He just posts stuff trickle-down style from his subscriptions. He doesn't make arguments, just copy-paste from videos because everyone else is evil. If ever there were a "kool-aid", he's drinking it. It's not even a "good flavor" either.
    mered4 likes this.
  6. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Are you trying to take away tatsu's entire argument and discussion foundation? Poor guy.

Watch out though, he'll probably through an exx dee and then some unrelated accusation or comment.

If he's feeling really vigilant, he might even try to use proper grammar. That's okay though because he's French and we're forgiving. Right? Nah.
    mered4, elodea and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

A satire-focused show is completely incapable of making factual points, yep. Just like comedians, the fact is never used as the basis for anything.

I bet you think video games have nothing to do with the concept of politics, either :)
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  8. xankar

xankar Post Master General

No, but the fact that it advertises itself as a fake news channel makes it just a tad bit unreliable I would think. I would think even more so when you rely on the "fake news" to continuously make the argument for you.
    gmase likes this.
  9. tatsujb

they literally take excerpts from other news channels and go dig up sources. I fail to see how that process tampers with factuality x'D
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

11. arseface

arseface Post Master General

It can be used to showcase whatever it happens to be making fun of, because they tend to use real video footage taken from other news sources. Because using real quotes makes it that much funnier.

I trust The Daily Show to supply facts, because what's actually happening is a comedy goldmine. It's in their best interest *not* to lie, because they are in the business of making fun of people who lie. That said, I also trust them to take certain things out of context, so it's best to check the full interviews to get proper context.
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They don't make factual points, they make points based on happenstance. It's ridiculously biased, and "real news" can already be, every time there's a shooter and then they find out it's not a shooter, it's for ratings and to cast gloom and doom on guns. But the Daily Show is ridiculously biased.

And don't act like Liberals don't do the Same. Stupid. ****. Else, I'll quote Breitbart and see how long it takes Tatsu to call out it's legitimacy and bias. It'll be the very first time, btw, and I've given Tatsu the ability to post damn near the entire ******* election season of Daily Show on these forums. You know he has. You know he has posted every week's episode since the election start.

When was the last time you saw a videogame based on exact details of historical events? They're always glamorized in some way, even in Call of Duty Classic.
  13. Gorbles

The difference being The Daily Show isn't a racist sexist news site that masquerades as legitimate news known for its hate speech and controversial headlines that generate pageclicks.

The Daily Show says what it is.

Which is also separate from the argument that both Breitbart can state facts, and the Daily Show can too. But how they use them, and the conclusions they draw from them, are very different things. Neither are incapable of stating facts. But their respective biases colour their interpretations.

Now, this isn't like my bias for a particular games developer, or someone elses' bias against a games developer. Nothing so inconsequential. These are large media presences that colour the opinions of large swathes of people. The difference is, we know one of these things presents itself as satire.

Which means the other is open to more critique, and as such your tired anti-liberal example of "but Breitbart" is incredibly flawed (as I've shown) and demonstrates yet another amusing habit from American conservatives to label anything vaguely left of "the Right" as "liberal".

People take the Daily Mail and the Sun seriously, and they intentionally publish fake news.

As what I said above, it being a source of fake news and satire, doesn't mean that it is physically incapable of using facts to make that satire. People don't use comedy as a factual source as a Harvard reference in an essay. But comedians and comediennes are still more than capable of using facts to make that humour in the first place.
    stuart98, cola_colin and tatsujb like this.
  14. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

It's like some chosen people had liberal vision and they can identify "ist" people where the rest of us can't. Once you identify them you can be sure that everything they say is a lie and everything they do is evil and so is everything people near them say or do.
    cwarner7264 and elodea like this.
  15. Gorbles

So many things I didn't actually say, absolutely fascinating. I'd debate this further but something tells me you're not that interested!

Also: not a liberal :D
  16. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

That's a thing I didn't say.
    Another thing that I didn't say is that you are liberal.
    A thing I DO say is that you are a hypocrite.
    elodea likes this.
  17. Gorbles

Man, you really have a grudge, huh? Did you not like being called out?

And yes, talking about "liberal vision" in response to a post I made calling a site bigoted does, in fact, apply that "liberal vision" to me, the person making said judgement.

Come on, some critical thinking here at least. Move past whatever slight you think I made at you (which I'm not getting into because ye gods I am not making this thread any more cyclic than it already is)
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

And now you talk about feelings... I don't feel anything for or against you.
    You make very little sense to me, and you seem to be unable to understand what I say, so let's stop wasting time.
    elodea likes this.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Especially with what is happening in the US right now. It's like a gift to people making fun of politics. They can literally just talk about unaltered reality and the only thing that might prevent one from laughing is the realization just how sad it is that they are NOT making stuff up.
  20. tatsujb

exactly! the one thing that kept racing through my head this whole time is : "you can't make this shiit up!"