The Pokemon Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sensitivepsycho, February 28, 2011.

1. xknight2099

xknight2099 Member

Original silver and crystal were the best until the remakes.

Fire red was actually a great remake too, I didn't realize they added some extra islands to explore until recently.

White has been pretty good so far.
  2. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Some of these new meta-game attacks are pretty damn interesting to put into play.

Electroball is an electric attack that's more powerful the faster the user is compared to the target? And this specific pokemon can learn Agility? It's like boosting attack and speed at the same time!
  3. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Yeah, there are some great new moves in Black and White. Although the game seems to be easymode compared to the older ones. Everything is pretty much given to you when you get to gym battles.
  4. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Seriously.

Wild fighting-types to catch before the normal gym. Wild ground-types before the electric gym.

I did have to work for an ice-type before the dragon gym. I didn't want to waste time leveling one of those ice cream cones because I wanted to do that later when I had a Steelix to breed Automatize into one.

So I decided to look for an ice-type I heard about that has a frigg'in 1% chance of appearing. And caught it. Plus you beat an ice gym that hands you an ice attack TM before hitting the dragon gym.
  5. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Not to mention before the first gym, they literally GIVE you a pokemon that's strong against whatever the gym leader(s) decide to use.
  6. x Zatchmo

x Zatchmo New Member

This sounds like more talk that is making me less interested in purchasing Black/White.
  7. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

Loltrade. So Magmar can evolve into something even more ridiculous-looking, who knew?
    Last edited: March 17, 2011
  8. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

It seems the older I've gotten Pokemon games have no real challenge. I beat Black with no losses at all..I'm just focus on completing my national PokeDex now. But to be honest when I was younger pokemon games were really hard. I had no idea where to go and never actually trained so I was underleveled all the time. I think 'cause I'm older now it's just too easy. I'm a proud owner of a sped run 20 hour Leaf Green. I did it in that time straight. But meh, doesn't stop me playing them :)
  9. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

The big thing that keeps me interested is all the theory craft involved in move set planning and team planning.

My Scrafty, which has stuck with me since I first caught it in Route 4, and it has great bulk and Shed Skin. He can get Moxie but I don't think he can really benefit from an ATK boost because he's so slow.

Then I learned you can breed Dragon Dance into him.

So every day I learn about a new and interesting move set I can breed and have fun testing in battles. Let alone building teams to compliment all these move sets.

Dream World isn't even out yet and it promised Pokemon with crazy metagame changing abilities.
  10. x Zatchmo

x Zatchmo New Member

Well, I gave in. I bought White yesterday; it was only 35 bucks anyway. Considering I only buy games every few months or so, this saved me $20 I would have spent for a 360 game. I'll have plenty of time to play on the 20 hour car ride to Washington D.C. Unfortunately, I have to drive half. DAMIT! :lol:
  11. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

I'm kinda bummed that you have to keep your pokemon equal. I got my Oshawott (stupid name) but I really don't want to train a Patrat, Lillipup or Purrloin for teh league.
  12. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

There is actually a sudden jump in difficulty after the league. As soon as you defeat the "champion" (coughspoilers) The levels you see go from 52 to 65. I actually found myself using strategy.
  13. That Dutch Guy

But when do awesome pokemon start appearing? I just don't want a randumb patrat or lillipup in my party.
  14. vortexcontinuum

Pretty soon, I'd say the game is fairly balanced in when decent pokemon appear. Most are hard to find, or require "shaking" patches of ground. I highly recommend you get a Scraggy with the Moxie ability in the grass next to the desert resort entrance, he's a beast.
  15. That Dutch Guy

I hope I don't screw up my Oshawott's IV's for only using him until I get some decent pokmanz.
  16. vortexcontinuum

That's what I did. I hate all the fail rodents they put in the beginning of the game for no reason.
  17. That Dutch Guy

That. That so much.

Although Ratata is awesome.
  18. vortexcontinuum

(Me many years ago)

A Rattata, eh? My Onix can handle this no problem! I'm out of potions so I need to finish this.

*Super Fang, loses half HP*

OMFG
  19. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Lillipup with the Pick Up ability can be a life saver when you get to Route 4 where there's a Sandstorm blowing constantly. It becomes Sand Throw when it evolves and it both doubles speed in sandstorm conditions but also negates sandstorm damage.

Even though Lillipup appears alongside Patrat, I think it's quite good to have for a while.

I prefer Scraggy with Shed Skin since it compliments its bulkiness. I just bred a Scraggy with Dragon Dance and Drain Punch though, which I think compliments Moxie more.
  20. Totally Not Grec

Totally Not Grec New Member