The Pokemon Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sensitivepsycho, February 28, 2011.

1. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Re: Does anyone have Pokemon SoulSilver?

Lucky. I gotta wait about 12 hours or so for my store to open so I can buy the damned game.

EDIT: by the way, don't forget to do the mystery gift stuff, they're giving away the 'liberty pass' which lets you get a level 15 legendary early on in the game.
  2. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Yeah, Victini or something. I don't know if I'll use it because I have never used a legendary in any team I have won the league with. The first time, that is.

In Emerald, I used to do the league with 5 cloned Rayquaza's and a Pokmon I wanted to train :roll: :lol:

Btw, I heard there was a difference between Black and White? In trainer battles or such thing?
  3. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

The major difference is Black City and White Forest. Black City is a Pokemon Black exclusive area with a bunch of trainers and some pokemon to catch, whilst White Forest is a large area to catch Pokemon, but with very few trainers (at least that's what I gathered.)

For more info on those two areas, check out http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/black ... rest.shtml
    and http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Black_City / http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/White_Forest

For more exclusives to each side, serebii has another page for you; http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/exclusives.shtml
  4. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

I'm not going to Serebi nor Bulbapedia. I don't want to get spoiled on any new pokmon :D

That's kinda gay. I recall you can get way more exp. from trainer battles, so people with Black have an advantage.
  5. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Now, call me old fashioned. Or dumb. But I always enjoyed R/B/Y and G/S/C, and never moved on from there. I was contemplating moving up to the new black/white, but I would have to buy a DS to do it.

Some questions I have that could make or break it for me.

When playing strategically against friends/random people, are people still fine with sharking max stats/stat xp?(NEVER during the rpg part, that's just wrong)
    Is Snorlax still the best pokemon in the game, or at least good enough that I could run him?
    Have the ruled changed drastically since I've left(will I need to relearn pokemon strategy)?
    Do people still insist on stupid clauses in battles(evasion clause, ohko clause, no splash clause, pretty much anything other than no legendary)?

And finally, is it worth buying a DS just for pokemon?
  6. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

1. I think GameShark went out of business, but people are fine with "maximizing" stats with pokemon editing software, as long as it doesn't surpass the pokemon's potential stats.
    2. I heard you can only catch Gen 5 pokemon ingame until you beat the Elite 4, but online I'd say it's still a good pokemon. It has fallen out of style quite a bit though.
    3. Rules? Not really.
    4. Yes, because they feel it makes the game more enjoyable and less based on luck. If they agree to it beforehand it should be fine, but a lot of people follow the battle guidelines of this website:
    http://www.smogon.com/
    5. That's up to you. I personally play nothing but Pokemon and Advance Wars on my DS.
  7. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

If Gold/Silver was the last pokemon game you played, they introduced abilities in Ruby/Sapphire which added quite a bit of difference in strategy.

Snorlax is still good in my opinion. He just has competition from 599 other pokemon for being a physical brute and wall.
  8. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Each game has some kind of 'battle tower' type thing, every game has since Crystal, so there will be plenty of fights. I find the 32 or so pokemon you can get in White Forest (that literally DO NOT APPEAR in Black) as being the better deal.

1: If people know you cheated your pokemon in, they'll probably be angry and turn off their DS as to not battle you. No matter if your pokemon is in the correct power level or not. I don't think i'd play against someone who maxed all of their stats, when I raised my pokemon the hard way.

2: Snorlax has kind of fallen behind in terms of actual power, but he's still a good Pokemon. He's a decent physical sweeper or physical wall if you really need it; but there are quite a few pokemon that can do his jobs better. (check out this for more on Snorlax.)

3: Short answer yes.

Long Answer: Since gold and silver, a lot of things have changed. Special and physical moves are now different, and using special moves with the same type as your pokemon gives it extra powerful, there are abilities that each pokemon has that affects the battle and how you would choose to fight them.

4: I'm sure some do, but typically the only rules you run into are 'hey, no legendaries, bro.' and occasionally "No using moves to increase your accuracy to 100% then OHKs!"
  9. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I'm kind of behind on this one (haven't played a Pokemon game since Sapphire I think) so excuse this.

Is it still a viable tactic to just use your starter Pokemon for the entire game without ever having the need for anything else in battle?
    I ask this because I have beaten every Pokemon game up to Sapphire with that tactic and I read some stuff about the newer games were everything appeared to be so technical and complex (almost like WoW).
  10. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

With types, abilities, STABs, and new mechanics, it's quite impossible to beat the game with only a single pokemon anymore.
  11. Vlane

Vlane New Member

[​IMG]
  12. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

I demand updates.
  13. arseface

arseface Post Master General

What I have gathered so far.

There are still both groups of people who believe in the catch-breed(9000+ hours(not kidding) for max stats in GSC, and the DV's are now 32 bit.) system, and those who don't.
    Curselax seems outdated, but I can't find anywhere that says if it still has the strongest detonate. Stab-Selfdestuct>Nonstab-Explosion.
    Pokemon have weird species-specific superpowers that I have to look at.
    There are still those that hate 'Ol Fish(Tauros /w Rest, Sleep Talk, Fissure, Horn Drill), and those who don't.

It looks like I have no choice but to buy a DS. Pokemon+Golden Sun is becoming too much to resist.

Stab has always been around. It's why Splodelax cleaned house. And so has type advantage. This is why bolt/beam has always been a viable tactic on my Lapras.
    Level plays a direct role in damage calculation, if you tack on stab, diversified attacks, and stat difference a level advantage can tear up everything(thus the juggernaut approach). I don't know what the new mechanics are though, so you may still be right.
  14. vortexcontinuum

I wouldn't doubt a solo run. I've seen someone do a solo run with a slugma on Platinum version.
  15. Totally Not Grec

Totally Not Grec New Member

The funny thing about solo runs, every kid that just started playing pokemon probably only trained their starters. I know me, my sisters and my friends did when I was a kid.
  16. vortexcontinuum

It made me mad when other kids did that. I always kept my starter a few levels above my others, but didn't neglect them. I really enjoyed the anime series back then, and attempted to recreate it. :roll:
  17. Totally Not Grec

You wanna fight about it? :cool:
  18. vortexcontinuum

I challenge you to a duel of pogeymans. :geek:
  19. Totally Not Grec

I choose you, Jon Stewart!

Jon Stewart, use witty, satirical remark about the stupid conservative Americans that everybody hates as to get more views, but still not be as funny as Stephen Colbert!
  20. x Zatchmo

x Zatchmo New Member

HEY!
    Jon Stewart is awesome.

Black and White are the ugly step children of the Pokemon series.