The Patch Day/Where is my update? Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, August 28, 2014.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Well, i have the crash during my update once again. I tried 3 times already :(
  2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the update just fine. Must be something on your end.

P.S. I pressed 'Verify' to download the update and no crash occurred.
  3. JWest

JWest Active Member

So what's the scoop with the death ray, how is it activated? I'm at work, so no fun for me for the next few hours :/
    spittoon likes this.
  4. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Build some advanced fabricators and you'll notice that they can build a structure known as "Catalyst." Build those on all of the blue spots near one of the metal planet's poles.

I haven't gotten around to actually using it yet, so I'll report back with more info.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You build catalysts on 5 marked spots on the northern pole of the metal planet.
    Once they're built, you click "fire weapon" and witness the magic.

It can also fire more than once (unlimited amount of times?) with no recharge delay which I assume hope will be changed before the game goes gold
    spittoon and drz1 like this.
  6. JWest

JWest Active Member

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info. So they're basically Halley's that you have to build in specific spots?
  7. bastianforge

bastianforge New Member

Hi everyone!

So my first post will be like this then:
    Played my first match a moment ago and loved the performance overall, most definitely better than previous builds. I did notice though that when you order units to use a teleporter that is not connected yet the ever growing stack will cause some noticable lag in sim speed.
    Gas giants are as the name says -- giants, I love it as it gives the game a sense of scale :)
    The new platforms for harvesting resources are really nice as well with a production of both metal and energy and at the same time acting as storage(?).
    The new overly destructive metal planet laser was impressive, would have liked to be able to see the explosion from close to get a really good view.

I did get my client to crash several times (the framerate would stutter but if I pressed F5 within a few seconds it didn't crash. Could it be related to Coherent?) but could rejoin the ongoing game.

Overall this game keeps getting more awesome with every update, awesome work Uber!

-Bastian Forge-
    spittoon likes this.
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

so has this only been released on the PTE so far?
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks for this smart reminder ;)
  10. castortroy99

castortroy99 New Member

You know, I kind of like the idea of each planet having something unique on it that differentiates itself from other planets, adding strategy to which planet you take over.

Now there is a reason to specifically go for a metal planet because you can build this death ray. What if water planets allowed you to build a unique structure in a great body of water (it would have to be a minimum certain size) that would provide a lot of power. Like a hydro station or something that would generate more power than usual. Nothing game breaking but something that would make you want to control a water planet and give you a slight advantage? I can't think of anything for the other planets at the moment but does anyone else think this is a cool idea?

It sounds like they did this with the gas giants, they give you more power or something, so I guess my idea would be too similar to that but I'm sure someone can come up with a better idea or build it out more.
    damnhippie, spittoon and Planktum like this.
  11. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Well, the death stars are a definite "I win" button as it stands. I suppose if you can build 5 catalysts you deserve it, since it's so easy to see someone building them.

The Jigs seem a bit OP to me. You only need to control a small portion of a gas giant to have MASSIVE economy
  12. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Some facts:
    1. Noticeably much less game start hitching/freeze. I used to freeze for like 20-60 seconds on map load, not it's like a few seconds. Also, you start in system overview.
    2. Frigging death lasers, you need five at a cost of 40k (=halley), it completely destroys target planet, while you still have your planet. Effects look so sweet. Awesome. Probably too OP? Idk.
    3. Gas giants. Only for orbitals. One main use. Resource gathering. Platforms might seem to be expensive (6k), but they produce 36 metal and 9k energy. Not sure of other uses, very situational (I transfered my comm there during planet smash, it's safer than ordinary planet, as you see all the orbital with your space radar and guaranteed to have no umbrellas on surface).
    4. You can't smash planets into gas giants.
    5. You can't death ray gas giant.
    6. You can't nuke gas giant.
    7. You can't death ray planet that is on it's way to smash something. (that's how you fight death stars I suppose)
    8. Lava is no longer floor, BUT game still suggest you to spawn in the middle of lava lake. If you agree, you'd be teleported to shore upon impact.
    9. Smash craters no loner kill units upon contact, which means you can hover over them. Again.
    10. FPS seemed to be much better.
    11. UI improvements, ping button relocated, polished queue order UI, fabrication units/structures show unit currently under construction in build menu.
    12. Gas giant takes like less than one second to generate. Temperature controls color.
    13. AI skirmish added to singleplayer.
    14. System designer improved.
    Remy561, EdWood, spittoon and 2 others like this.
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

AI Skirmish added to singleplayer? that mean we can play against AI without uber servers now? Or did they just simply move that option over there?
  14. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

No. It's basically lobby without going to server browser first and slot pre-filled with AI. Many people had problems with game 'not having AI skirmish, multiplayer only meh'. Now they will see. Probably.
  15. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried naval? Apparently there was a pass done on it this patch.
  16. JWest

JWest Active Member

So no official offline yet? That's probably for the better, I'd hate for this to turn into another Demigod fiasco.
  17. tidder99

tidder99 New Member

No update for UK??
  18. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

It's here dude, just update the PTE via the Uber Launcher and away you go. Welcome to the game/forums!
    MMMMM death stars are yummy.
  19. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Anyone else feeling a bit of a late-game performance boost?
    Just got out of a game where by the end of it I had well over 500 units and it didn't slow down at all.

Not a hint of slowdown, the UI was responsive, it was damn near perfect.
    EdWood and optimi like this.
  20. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Hold up, I'm getting another build on the PTE. 282 mb.