The PAG debacle

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, January 18, 2015.

?

BRN vs. PAG rematch with extra icy included?

1. HELL YEAH!

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DOOOOOO THIIIIIIIIIS!

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

You are misinterpreting everything.

I never denied that we SUCK at the game compared to the clan people. I only wanted to explain WHY we suck. Because we are inexperienced silver players playing against platinum and uber players! It's that simple! And whoever can't grasp this is the word that I used on the Twitch stream.

And just as there's no denying that we SUCK at the game compared to you guys, there's no denying that PAG SUCKS at the late game, especially in multiplanet systems.

Them's the facts, clopse, and from my perspective, "saltiness" has nothing to do with it. You guys are the ones who bring ego into this. That's why you are hazing beginners in the Twitch stream, and that's why you are acting like butthurt children in this thread. All I want to do is have fun playing awesome games. And instead of focusing on the game that I am trying to set up, you are saying that the only reason I made this thread is to "call you out".
  2. icycalm

There are countless threads in this forum made for far more trivial reasons than this thread. And there are plenty very interesting and insightful posts in this thread, especially by me, that are worth being made and being read (ergo the popularity of the thread). So I don't appreciate you posting in my thread to ask people to stop posting in my thread while you yourself are posting in my thread. The other users are perfectly capable of deciding which threads they want to post in and which not. Thanks.
    ingolfr likes this.
  3. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

I still don't see any reason for this thread. Am I the only one?
    violetania and elodea like this.
  4. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

It was only a 'debacle' in the sense that you looked set to win because of how good you guys are. It's not about calling you out for losing, rather advancing the idea that a team as skilled as PAG would only need one noob (tactically speaking, sorry icy!) with an affinity for team games and orbital warfare to make you completely invincible!

So if nothing else it's a complement to how strong the PAG players are, which we all saw in the game's opening.
  5. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

Having known icy for some time I would say he gave you the biggest endorsement imaginable - he asked you and even begged you to play with him - and you guys took offence.
    mugendai and ingolfr like this.
  6. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I think all PAG needed was clopse getting hammered and they were set. If they did not have there 4 players all with high 1v1 skill and they had icy then BRN would have probably won just straight up. No offense but at the level there at throwing icy into a PAG team would not mean a 3.25 vs 4 player game. But a 2 vs 4 player game. Icy with lack of 1v1 skill would hold them back probably more then not having a 4th person at all.
    aapl2 and stuart98 like this.
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Try not paint all members of PAG with the same brush please as we are all individuals. I try not to care what any member does as this shouldn't and doesn't refelct on me or the clan, just the person. So PAG is not hazing beginners and not all members of PAG have egos. Defending myself is not behaving like a butthurt child. I understand and know why we lost. I honestly don't care one bit about the loss, it does annoy me when someone comes out and attacks our team for no reason other than to try stroke their own ego. Mr. master strategist, master reviewer and now master coach. I hope someday I reach your level in all of the above.
    elodea and stuart98 like this.
  8. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

while the replies of this topic have mainly been discussing the game that took place, your original topic was hey can we have a fun rematch of those two clans but add myself into PAG's team... that topic could have been discussed via pm's with both clans or another form of communication, while it is true this is not among the worst threads out there the two posts above mine seemed to be precursors to it going down hill... sorry for posting my thoughts overall on this thread instead of one of the other ones out there... oh while I was writing this more stuff happened xD
    elodea likes this.
  9. icycalm

True enough, but once more you are discounting the value of strategy. I wouldn't engage in 1v1 at all in this game. At least not by the time BRN found out what we were doing, by which point we would have outproduced them if all went according to plan, and I would have had a big unit number advantage against them.

When I said "you guys" I meant the competitive PA community as a whole, not PAG. You personally have been among the friendliest people to me in this forum, and I probably wouldn't even be playing in Clan Wars still if not for you.
    darkagentx and Clopse like this.
  10. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I didn't take offense to this one bit, I was only offended by his last post where he used ad hominen to all members of PAG. He was planning on leaving his clan before the last game of the season to come help us out. I merely disagreed with this. I dont mind nor care about constructive criticsim, I will take all on board and we will learn from the mistakes we made. I watch a lot of sports and of course I have called players stupid or idiots even knowing that they are much much better than I will ever be. That's life, so if you put yourself out there like teams in the Clan Wars do you need to expect this.
  11. icycalm

And Marshall could have emailed Uber to set up his ant-naming match with them, but no one complained about his thread because people like Marshall but not me.

I continue to point out the repeated and habitual trolling of my threads by established forum members in the hope that they will stop doing it.
    wilhelmvx, squishypon3 and Clopse like this.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

true enough, my posts were pointless and non productive I shall go back to just reading the fourms until something strikes me to comment, misinterpretations and mistakes happen to everyone, the internet tends to love to jump on negative things and make it worse.
    squishypon3 and icycalm like this.
  13. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

Wow, I guess Strategy communities really are made up of the best kinds of people. Or maybe it's just PA.
  14. icycalm

So anyway, here goes the strategy, since this match is not happening now.

Two PAG players spawn on the moon, while I and the third one spawn on Arrakis on the same spot. The moon players do their usual thing, while the Arrakis player just sits there and watches me as I use both our commanders to rush an orbital launcher + orbital fabber to the ice planet. Once that's out I jump to the empty ice planet and the Arrakis player takes both commanders and does his usual thing. The orbital launcher meanwhile sends another orbital fabber and one avenger to the gas giant, and then we shut down its power for the moment.

So basically I am alone to expand on the ice planet and the gas giant for a significant amount of time before BRN finds out what's up and tries to harass me. You might think that I will suck at expanding because I suck at multitasking, but I can actually handle this reasonably well while I am alone (as I would be for at least a little time). The question is whether this head start on these two planets, combined with the 3 PAG players' superior 1v1 skills suffice to gain a significant resource advantage on BRN to win the game. If it does, it means that the effect of the strategy counterbalances the 25% decrease in strength of the PAG team due to my inclusion in its roster. (And hence that the strategy gives at least a 25% boost to a team capable of using it.)

The above is a modification of two strategies of mine already seen on Clan Wars: the 4-Commander orbital rush seen on our VoW away game, and the 4-Commander megabase seen on our BRN away game. I believe it would catch BRN off guard just like the megabase did, and because they wouldn't know what to expect, they'd probably play it safe with 2 2v2 spawns. Arrakis is big and by the time the two players caught up to the 1 lone PAG player (who would have had 2 Commanders at his disposal), we would have outproduced them (plus the 2 PAG players on the moon would have probably beat the 2 BRN players there).

Of course now this strategy has been revealed BRN or someone else can come up with a counter to it. But if we were playing now I would use another strategy. Or I would say that I would use another one and still use this one (which again would have caused them to hedge their bets as regards to their spawn locations in order to be "ready for everything", which is a pretty bad strategy when facing opponents with strong strategy). And there you have it. It would have been an interesting match if nothing else, but it's too late for it now. At any rate I hope to be able to put on such matches for you with my own clan in future Exodus events.
    Last edited: January 18, 2015
    drz1 likes this.
  15. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I actually agree with everything you said, but I would also just like to defend the design of the map. It was designed that way before the changes to make jigs stupid op; e.i. the silly nuke when they die and also making it impossible to nuke them. I think PAG played super well in that game, and we probably would have lost if it wasn't for those changes Uber made.
  16. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is if I play you, and can hold out for an hour, I have a chance?!?! I HAVE a chance!! :D :p Now I just need to figure out how to survive for an hour :D
  17. icycalm

I don't think the jigs are OP if you have more avengers than your opponent. You just send two of them at a time at random spots among the enemies' rows of jigs. There's nothing they can do to protect against that than rows and rows of anchors or many little clumps of avengers in all the gaps between the jigs. Whoever has more avengers will win this, and PAG would have had many more if they had been making any.

I personally think the jigs/gas giant were OP before the changes.
    Last edited: January 18, 2015
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Og
    Good luck killing jigs when you lose all of yor avengers every time you kill a jig.
  19. icycalm

Are you even reading my posts? You send one or two avengers between each pair of jigs. That's all. One or two avengers for one jig is a good trade. And I already said that you can only win this if you have more avengers than your opponent. Which PAG could easily have had.
  20. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Tl;dr: one person suggests an interesting friendly rematch, other players get a strop on, match doesn't happen. Congratulations all.
    mugendai, chevrage, cdrkf and 3 others like this.