The new advanced radar

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by JacksonNL, January 18, 2014.

?

New advanced radar

1. Good hold it like this

25.6%
  2. Bad its view is too minimized

40.2%
  3. Not good nor bad i like the way Uber thinks but there need too balance it more

32.9%
  4. No oppinion

1.2%
  1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

That's true. .. but you now need a ridiculous number of satellites to get RADAR across an entire planet.

Watch Zaphod's streams. It was common as.

Once you have reached that stage of the game there should be too many different fronts on one planet for the other player to be worrying about rushing your orbital. And well, bombers are better off sniping nukes or the commander
    drz1 likes this.
  2. badbiki

badbiki New Member

I'd suggest that their planet view would be larger if their speed is kept the same... Maybe they should have unit visibility the size of t1 radar and the same ADV radar range.

Makes them a little more useful.

The full planetary view was insane.. Too op.

It would be interesting if you had to task a satellite with an orbit that's not geo stationary.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. tohron

tohron Active Member

It would be nice if the radar worked like in SupCom/FA, where if you've seen a unit/building, then lose vision but keep it in radar range, the game will still show you its strategic icon as long as it stays in radar. Do that, and the advanced radar becomes a way to keep tabs on a planet, provided you supplement it with proper recon and don't stall your power.

Right now though, all you'll ever get are blips on a map, so it doesn't really add anything to your other forms of reconnaissance.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  4. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I don't like the radar as it is.The range is so small and that radar is so slow.Playing with multiple planets if guys escape its almost impossible to find out what planet they are.By the time you do that the planet is already taken over. Before you could just launch multiple radars to find them. Now players can just rush orbital and bunker on other planets.
  5. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

i think it should just show you half the planet, and then that would mean that normal radar satellite would be more useful on small planets because it could see the whole plant, but just in little radar blips per unit\structure.
  6. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

The astreaus has a bigger viewing range then the ADVANCED SATELITE. How broken is that.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I had an epiphany at work today.

(I wasn't playing PA, I was on my phone, read this thread, replied, etc.)

I realised that in my most recent game against the AI, I built 1 scout on planetary patrol, then I built 10 hummingbirds, and I put the factory on continuous build.

When I was raiding the AI's base, I needed more intel.

So I grabbed the nearest hummingbird, and retasked it to fly over the opponents base.

Do you see what happened in that scenario?

1. I used a hummingbird, a dedicated air superiority fighter, not a scout plane.
    2. I re-tasked a plane, not a satellite.
    There are very few situations where I would retask a satellite, not a plane, to do that task.

Here's how I think the orbital layer *should* work.

Aim: Achieve a model of true orbital.
    1. Satellites should have a much, greater speed. Sufficient to orbit the planet completely and give updates frequently enough to be useful, not enough to give a constant stream of information.
    2. Satellites should have the same acceleration/deceleration values.
    3. Turn rate should be quite small also.
    4. Only advanced radar satellites and the orbital laser should be capable of geosynchronous orbits.
    5. Laser satellites, defense platforms, orbital fighters and umbrellas should fire beams.
    6. Lasers can fire while on the move. Lasers also use the new "deviation" mechanic.
    7. The orbital launcher launches satellites at full speed.
    8. Orbital fabbers can build satellites while moving, and then deploy the orbital structure.
    9. You can assign specific orders to orbital units before they are fully constructed.
    10. Addition to the "shaded building icons in the fog of war" that Uber speak of implementing. Satellites are capable of "taking an image" of an enemy base. Everything that they saw in their vision is a shaded unit icon, including movable units, possibly excluding certain units, like the commander.
    11. Orbital fighters should not dogfight.
    Reasons:
    1. Satellites are actually satellites. You use them to continuously "orbit" the planet, because slowing down isn't efficient. Put them on planetary area patrol.
    2. It is expensive to change a satellites orbit, but it is possible. It is more efficient to use a scout plane to gain knowledge. However, radar satellite will give you information
    3. Turn rate is small so that "area patrol" satellites actually look like satellites, not aircraft.
    4. It is more effective to build a satellite in geosynchronous orbit than it is to move a radar satellite to the correct location.
    5. Satellites now move insanely quickly. The beam is to cut it down as it flies. Also, it would look insanely cool.
    6. Lasers can cut an enemy base to pieces. However, lasers aren't insanely accurate unless they are geosynchronous. And you have some time to build an umbrella before the laser comes around again. (Never thought I would say that sentence)
    7. This is to make it actually look like true orbital
    8. Make it so that moving orbital units aren't weakened because they were deployed by an orbital fabber (i.e. advanced radar satellite is equally capable of orbiting around the planet)
    9. This is to make previous mechanics make sense. Especially ordering orbital fabricators fabricating non-geosynchronous units in the orbital layer. Plus, you load your fabricator into a fabricating Astraeus, it helps construct it, and then the Astraeus takes off towards the destination immediately. Gives it an initial speed boost which makes the rocket delivery make sense. I think the Astraeus should remain maneuverable.
    10. Satellite intel - photos of unit movement. You want to update it, you have to move a spy plane towards it. Gives you an overview of the situation, not the complete picture.
    11. Air 2.0
    Last edited: January 19, 2014
  8. muhatib

muhatib Member

hello

We don't know whats going on planets and fronts. We need information(maps) and reaction time then we can play strategy. You need scout the enemy bases but near your base/fronts?

Boots too fast?-no just you no reaction time.

You can't protect your scouts near fronts.

I like surprise attaks and sleath systems. But this to mutch surprise.

And where is the huge planets?(over1200) You need 50 radar or 100-150 scout?(this game can running on computers if we follow this metod?)40 players on 10 planets:I dont' know???-1500scout and armyes and bullets and......

Or we can play only 3x"200" moon?

I like huge armyes but i hate lagg.....computer capacity is over

i like the scout and the range/vision system but klick klick klick all time and you know: nothing

(Yes i know this is beta, and we need wait)

Call me Ray Charles, I do't see any enemy....

sry my bad eanglis
  9. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

I would also love greyed-out strategic icons on enemy buildings and units no longer in view. Currently, enemy structures (not units) remain visible to you even after you have no units that can see them. But, they have no strategic icons, so it can be annoying to go find what your scout planes scouted after they've covered the whole planet via area patrol. If you don't catch the death notification and click on it right away, you have to go pan around until you find the structures left in view from the plane(s) that died.

And I think once you've seen a unit but can no longer see it, the view you see should reflect your latest intel, however old, so the units should still be visible but with greyed out icons.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

hmmm, appears to be a divisive topic, given the voting...
  11. JacksonNL

JacksonNL New Member

how so ?
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

About 30% each voting option
  13. JacksonNL

JacksonNL New Member

yes in deed still 60% wants it not like this then atleast
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That is just proof of a bias poll.
  15. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

60% of people dislike changing something that was completely overpowered, to be less so?

I was expecting more frankly.
    igncom1 likes this.
  16. JacksonNL

JacksonNL New Member

idd but now its way too low its a cheap radar now instead of advanced
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You realise that 'Advanced' doesn't mean that it should be downright better, right?

I think the radar, especially the differentiation between its basic and advanced iterations, is a poorly implemented concept in its entirety. 'Radar' at the moment is just a magic way to make your artillery automatically shoot further and make sure you can never be ambushed, even if your enemy tries to 'hide'

Essentially it's an upgrade mechanic for long range units and virtual omniscience that costs energy and requires some not-so-careful placement.
    Last edited: January 20, 2014
  18. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

The adv radar def needs an los increase. Like someone mentioned maybe give it the los of t1 radar or a tad more & it should also move faster. I mean come on it's not that hard to build orbital fighters to take the weak hovering adv radar out..or build an umbrella..are you all that noob? By giving larger los it will help with wasted time trying to build 100 scouts all over 8 planets looking for the commander....
    zack1028 likes this.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I do not want LOS for any of the satellites, as I feel LOS scouting should be left in the domain of in atmosphere units.
  20. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

It's a huge change, yes. But I actually don't think that it's that underpowered considering the big radar range in conjunction with the LOS range.

I'm actually seeing a use for it, even with area patrol commands and air scouts.