The most Overpowered class

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Coverop, April 26, 2011.

?

Who is the most overpowered class in Monday Night Combat?

1. Assassin

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Assault

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Tank

9 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Gunner

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Sniper

46 vote(s)
    46.5%
  6. Support

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

I'm all for adding a flinch whenever the sniper gets hit. It never made sense to me how a sniper should be allowed to headshot a gunner who was firing at him while close up.
  2. Goose

Goose Active Member

While this post has some merit in some regards, the sniper is in no way an easy class. A good sniper uses all of his tools at his disposal and typically doesn't sit back too far from the action unless confronted. I don't doubt these Snipers skills and I do think they should be rewarded for it but not to the extent the game allows.
  3. velo

velo New Member

I play every class and feel that the game is fairly balanced overall (even if I've disliked some of the balance changes implemented since release.)

That said, the Sniper and Assault are without question (in my mind) the two most powerful. Sniper has the most killing power and highest potential/skill ceiling. The Assault, while slightly less deadly, is similarly powerful thanks to his higher versatility and greater "carry" ability in pubs. (Snipers, while deadly, aren't quite the "game winners" that Assaults are.)

Tank would be next most powerful.. followed very closely by Gunner, then Support, then Assassin. The gaps aren't that huge overall, though I do feel like the Assassin can have a really hard time if there's even one skilled player on the enemy team keeping an eye on their bots/turrets.
  4. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

I understand your points, that great snipers don't just need to stand there. But why I call them overpowered if that beginners don't really have to compensate for things like not being the steadiest of aims or dealing with breathing sway or just readjusting after a shot. The shot is true, shot after shot after shot.

When they become proficient in all the other stuff, the Sniper is just a holding down force.

Moving on to my other topic, and yes, it's another poster defending his class.

People keep on going on about how an assault is a killing force. I'll be the first to admit I might be bad at that, but that's not what I play the game for. I play to win, so I don't have that much experience in the killing force game. However, Out Juking someone is such a skill, it's hard to put it into words. Yes, the Assault has high mobility, but it's limited mobility. If Assault had Jet rather than Fly, yeah, it would border on completely unfair. But look at what the Assault has to contend with.

The spray of the Support's shot, if not the instant lock on of the firebase.
    The unrivaled RoF of the Gunner.
    The Charge, Constantly firing Jet Gun, and the instant connect of the Rail Gun from the Tank
    The absolute out stripping of the Sin's speed, Dash, and Lunge.
    The Sniper.

The Assault managing to get away isn't blind luck. The Assault (like any other class) has to make good decisions on the fly. Just because a few managed to get away from you consistently doesn't mean the class is OP. In that case, the Sin is the most OP in the game. It just means you might be fighting against a skilled player.
  5. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

I respect you as a skilled player, but you have clearly never played with zutsumi or snug.
    I have almost never seen either of them lose as sniper. Sniper can annihilate a bot wave in 2 shots from any distance, which takes about a second and a half with gold rof, then they can go back to destroying the entire enemy team.

The only thing they can't do effectively is kill turrets.
    I feel like gunner is overpowered because of deploy. If you have no sniper, a deployed gunner can incur a slow on you which roughly halves your speed from any distance. Even if the damage is bad at extremely long range, the slow is absolutely rediculous.
  6. Kurnuttaja

Kurnuttaja New Member

I voted for sniper, because he is too strong at short range. He is incredibly hard to counter at close range when comparing to sniper classes in other games, that tend to lose against close range classes at close range lol. Also the maps favor snipers in most cases.
  7. Goose

Goose Active Member

You are for the Sniper nerf? This whole time I thought you were against it. Oh well, I still disagree with the Gunner thing. It just isn't very usable most of the time and spamming him with stuff isn't too difficult to get him out of deploy.
  8. killien

killien Active Member

I believe I've played against zutsumi on a few occasions and drove him nuts
  9. velo

velo New Member

I've played against plenty of good Snipers (though I haven't seen any recently), and it's also one of my best classes.

Anyway, I wasn't so much talking about bot clearing.

I was more referring to the fact that Snipers have the weakest juice in the game, and are the worst class to be playing offensively in overtime.

Juice wins games in MNC. The Assault has a very strong juice and is also one of the faster moneyball killers. Not to mention he has the mobility to easily escape when his juice is over (he can stick around for the full duration), and the ability to always position himself well in overtime. These are more the reasons that I see him as a bigger "game winner" than the Sniper.

edit: Maybe I should mention again that I'm not trying to argue that any class is overpowered or underpowered, just making some observations. I will say that a good Sniper is the most frustrating thing to play against in this game unless you're a similarly-good Sniper or Assault. Overall I'd say the game's balance is pretty good, even if it used to be better (I only agree with a few of the smaller changes, like bomb recharge and body shot damage. Sniper's endorsed rate of fire could also use tweaking.)
  10. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

Snipers are exceedingly good at making KDR players not be aggressive. They are also very good at getting poor players to play passive.

Which is exactly the wrong response for countering a sniper. This game rewards aggression like no other. Making the other team play passive means you have won.

This is where the sniper has no equal.
  11. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

In my opinion, if you don't win before OT you didn't actually win. The point I was making is that sniper is very effective (partially due to how the class is made, and partially due to the map designs) at both containing pros and pushing bots, nearly simultaneously. Sniper juice is weak, but they have an instant kill on everything but a gold armor tank (and an additional body shot will do them in) without juice, and push bots pretty well, so the only thing they really lack is the ability to kill turrets well.

I don't think they are overpowered, I just think the map designs give them an (unfair?) advantage.

I get what you mean about assault being a game winner, but I feel like sniper has equal potential, because what he lacks in mobility he more than makes up for in effective range.

I never said that, I said that a highly skilled sniper is a game winner.

Try playing a game against a gunner who sits way back on the map (maybe ammo mule) deployed and just spams his shootygun slow all over your team. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but it is a massive PITA, and from a balance perspective, the increased damage of deploy (from accuracy and crits) should be enough benefit, adding a slow to the already highest dps weapon in the game is rather ridiculous
  12. eternal

eternal New Member

I'd say that the Sniper has the 2nd weakest juice, not the weakest. Support has the weakest. But it is a close match (however the sniper also has a better chance of escaping since SMG has longer range than any support weapon and he can save his flak/ice traps for a get away.)
  13. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Each character's juice strength depends on the situation. If the support gets a clear shot against the moneyball, his is one of the best. Gunner's is one of the worst against the moneyball, but by far the best against turrets. Sniper's is the worst against turrets, but pretty good for clearing out the enemy team and pretty good against the moneyball.
  14. eternal

eternal New Member

You have a point about the moneyball. I hadnt fully considered that. But the support is also one of the most easily harassed by anti-juice tactics thanks to the short range allowing for grapples and level 3.3 rockets to do a ton of damage to him.

If he does manage to get next to the moneyball yeah his juice will do better than sniper by a HUGE margin. But the sniper has a more consistently useful juice (which isn't saying much since his juice is not that useful compared to tank/gunner/assault/assassin). But I'm glad that the sniper doesn't have a lot of uses for his juice since he builds it SO fast.
  15. Kurnuttaja

Kurnuttaja New Member

Sniper has one significant use for his juice: Kill any player who manage to get close to try to kill him. Which makes it impossible in most cases to even try to take that annoying sniper out and this definitely is one of the reasons that makes him OP.
  16. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Yeah but his juice is useless for anything else.
  17. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

As does any other class with the exception of Assassin.
  18. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I wouldn't say that

Like the support, he can do a ton of damage to the moneyball if allowed

He can also fairly easily wipe out the whole enemy team, since his fast movement speed lets him cover a large area and makes it harder to CC him
  19. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Fast movement speed? Maybe it's because I play Sin and Assault so much, but when I give Sniper a try, he feels nearly as slow and immobile as the heavy classes.
  20. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

I just Juice up and shoot RockIts to death.