The most Overpowered class

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Coverop, April 26, 2011.

?

Who is the most overpowered class in Monday Night Combat?

1. Assassin

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Assault

27 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Tank

9 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Gunner

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Sniper

46 vote(s)
    46.5%
  6. Support

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Fluttershy

Fluttershy New Member

I see what you did there.
  2. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

I figured the joke had already been made, but I'll take it.

Also, you have the Farnsworth effect. D:
  3. eternal

eternal New Member

He elongates your fingers?
  4. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

The Farnsworth Effect: The effect by which you hear a text phrase spoken in your head in the voice of the character it's quoted from.

[​IMG]
  5. Proxus

Proxus Member

Haha I knew you would post here after last night. That **** was so obnoxious. Gd sniper was holding off an entire team due to the ohk spam lol.
  6. Cainun

Cainun New Member

Coming from someone who does almost nothing but play sniper, I feel we do need a couple slight nerfs.

Quickscoping at close range is a bit idiotic, if theres a way to implement a damage increase based on range, and targets in freeze traps, I feel it'd be amazing. Enforce body shot damage on any and all targets at extremely close ranges (Think SMG does **** for damage ranges) UNLESS they're stuck in a freeze trap, in which case they can be headshot for a one shot kill. Results of a change like this? Clever trap placement, and offensive play+area denial will still be well rewarded, and the asshat snipers who just run around spam quickscoping with dots on their screen will be punished harshly for it; It'll force them to use SMGs to do any half decent damage at close ranges (Its intended purpose, I would hope.)

In addition, I feel our ROF, and benefit from ROF perks should be reduced a fair bit for the sniper rifles. Snipers as an image, are not built around spam, they're the embodiment of precise, skillful shot placement. With so many snipers playing the "LOL SPAM LEAD INTO THE AIR, FREE UNEARNED HEADSHOTS" sort of game, its very easy to see where a lot of you are coming from. Its a **** way to play, and completely contradictory to how a sniper should play (Imo). It shouldn't be encouraged via the sheer bonus ROF endorsements give us, nor should it be permitted through them.

Any thoughts on changes like these?

Also, do note that this was written after being awake for roughly 30 hours, and thoroughly exhausted from work lmao. Will probably read this and edit it a fair bit once I've woken up and can think properly again.
  7. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Possible things to reduce sniper spam, mix and match as many of these as desired:
    1. Simply reduce the rifle's rate of fire.
    2. Longer reload time
    3. Reload 1 bullet at a time. Maybe something like 0.6 or 0.7 sec per bullet. Similar to how shotguns reload in TF2
    4. Add recoil so that aim has to be adjusted between each shot
    5. Force zoom-out between shots
    6. Increase damage vs bots and turrets to compensate
  8. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

A fast bolt action would likely do the trick. You would zoom out to work the bolt. Instead of having to hold down the right click to zoom in, it should stay in zoom after a click, then zoom out after a shot/second click.

To compensate, a one shot headshot to most bots (except Jackbots of course), to allow the sniper decent lane clearing abilities.

This one click zoom would favor less spammy snipers more as there would be reduced pressure on the mouse as well as the fact that you zoom out every shot making hit and run tactics more convenient. For players without full blown gaming mouses, having to hold the right click button proves awkward and cumbersome.
  9. MrHTRW

MrHTRW New Member

What you guys are missing to understand is that, if you add bolt action to a sniper in MNC sniper will be useless.

Any other game with bolt action is able to have bolt action souly because people are 1-2 shot. In MNC, people aren't 1-2 shot, unless you headshot them.

Tell me one other game that has bolt action snipers and people aren't 1-2 shot and the snipers are actually useful.
  10. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I don't know, TF2?
  11. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

I do urge you to read my idea. The bolt action function would serve serve to force an unzoom. Fire rate will be fairly fast, maybe about as fast with gold RoF as the rifle is now without endorsements. That should prove sufficient given the time it takes to zoom in and out.
  12. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

tell me one other game where snipers have infinite ammo and anything similar to freeze traps, flak, and a powerful grapple for close range fighting?

also, games like counterstrike where the sniper rifle can get kills off 1-2 chest shots ALSO give almost every other weapon the ability to score headshots and kill the sniper at long range. In MNC, the sniper has very few long-range threats - only mortars and grenades, and most maps have spots that can minimize the effectiveness of those.
  13. Goose

Goose Active Member

How do you not think about Team Fortress 2 when making a Sniper comparison with this game? Not only is the TF2 sniper not useless but it is actually quite effective. The reason it doesn't break that game is because it has reliable counters and the rifle isn't as effective uncharged.
  14. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

less powerful rifle, less close-range capability, more counters, less map advantages.. yet still effective!
  15. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

The sniper's only counter is another sniper.
  16. TNine

TNine New Member

For the most part, the sniper is weaker but most of the other classes are too. Demomen and soldiers can't fly at you, and no one can just charge away and be unhittable, and it is much harder to consistently OHK you.
  17. Vexel

Vexel New Member

For the record, demomen and soldiers can fly at you (bomb/rocket jumping). Spy's cloak makes even LESS noise, and I think the fact that enemies have to use their charge to get away from a sniper says a lot in itself. TF2 snipers have to put up with much of the same things the MNC one does, and he's still very balanced. With that in mind, spammable player-penetrating OHK shots, no recoil, no aim-loss from hits/fire, traps, flak, no-damage-dropoff SMG, smaller hitbox, fastest run speed, and grapples that throw the enemy to the other end of the arena are just overkill for the MNC sniper to have.

The sniper needs to have SOME weaknesses. He can't have an effective strategy against every situation so he'll never be at a disadvantage. And no, his health isn't a disadvantage when he can't be touched.
  18. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

I feel like sniper is overpowered because of how the maps are made (see G3) not because of the class design itself.

After that, I think gunner damage output is absolutely absurd when deployed, considering he gets a ridiculous slow that works from any range and is unaffected by damage drop off.

Then tank is pretty OP. He has a ton of health, can wipe bot waves in 1 shift from across the map, has an incredible long and short range, clutch, and easily the best combat skill (firebase doesn't count) in the game, charge with knockdown AND stun which knocks down people who are above you (how that works is beyond me)
  19. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

If you jumped, and somebody ran into your legs with the speed of a weak jet, would you not fall down?...
  20. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

I think the numbers speak for themselves. But I still don't think they told the whole story.

If it was harder to get those steady hand headshots, how many of us would be celebrating them? I know when someone does a good move on me, I give them props.

Just played a game where I didn't need to move once, readjust the the sight after firing... I just stood there, aimed down the line and picked off people without problems, even though I hate snipers and never play them in any game.

Snipers are OP not because of the one shot kill capability, it's the fact that they don't have to do that much to do the one shot kill. I still vote for adding a sway or at the very least a recoil.