The Latest From Star Citizen (2.6, Star Marine, and More!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 16, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Context: The new stuff streams on Friday. That stream (or at least the first few hours) was just them spawning stuff in the hangars, which was apparently a good idea because some people are still new to SC.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I've been watching some of the stream today in the background. It's just going over the current state of things, new stuff tomorrow :)
  3. cdrkf

Well... just watched the Gamescom presentation and wow... they just hit the ball out of the park imo.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

5. cdrkf

Did you see the 3.0 demo Kiwi?
  6. killerkiwijuice

No wat
  7. killerkiwijuice

cdrkf likes this.
  8. Geers

Now, it looks a little janky in places, but holy shite lads.

HOLY

SHITE

Now we have a bigass demo of a typical mission in Star Citizen:

Full presentation here:

And we also get the first ship in ages I actually want, even though the name is really flucking stupid-sounding:

THE ANVIL TERRAPIN! Yes, that is a real animal. Yes, it does sound stupid. But look at it! It's a big hardened shell designed for recon and exploration! Perfect for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/ewj61pen5ezf7r/source/Anvil-Terrapin.pdf
    killerkiwijuice, tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Looks like this from Halo wars kek

[​IMG]
  10. Geers

Last edited: September 21, 2016
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@Geers do you have any idea if this game will have any sort of wall banging? Basically the ability for bullets to penetrate certain surfaces. Like say through thin metal cover or something.
  12. Geers

No idea.
  13. cdrkf

Yes I think that is already possible, at least in ship combat- currently you can under some circumstances *kill the pilot* by blasting through the hull of the ship...

I'm not sure if that same functionality will be available in structures however.
  14. cdrkf

Geers likes this.
  15. Geers

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

I'll copy/paste my reddit response to this:

cdrkf likes this.
  16. cdrkf

Eh that article is rather cleverly written to *appear* reasonable yet at the same time give the reader a sense of 'doom' about the whole project (the constant reminders of 'there is no game' for example, as well as the choice quotes by Roberts that, without context look terrible- yet when you read them in full are actually perfectly reasonable for the most part). I mean to anyone unfamiliar with where Star Citizen is- the 'baby PU' *is* a small version of the *actual game* and it integrates all of the 'disparate parts' the article insists are just separate 'demos'. The sentiment was accurate this time LAST YEAR before the 2.0 launch, when we had separate hangar, combat and landing locations but no cohesive whole, however that all changed with 2.0. What we have now is very much an alpha build of Star Citizen proper- if the developers drew a line under the tech where it is (albeit with a bit of polish) and then fleshed out the content they'd have a superb space sim already imo.

I mean it's evident that a lot of the 'it's impossible' things people are complaining about have in actual fact already made it into the game at this point.

I think the fact is that anyone 'shooting for the stars' so to speak is going to be difficult. I sympathize with Roberts position of not simply accepting 'it can't be done'- and I can also see why he would get unhappy with people who wont accept a final decision from leadership. I mean I work in new product development, and I've had the privilege of working on a number of totally new things. To do that you have to approach these things from the view point that it is possible to solve, it just hasn't been done yet- rather than 'you can't do it'. So far Roberts has been proven right on all counts (local physics grids, large world streaming, unified cameras, clothing system and so on- it's only really the networking code and player numbers that are still up in the air as far as I can tell).
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah i read the article and I found the author even though trying to seem neutral had his mind very made up from the start and wants us to agree with him.

did you check his sources?

I did. for some. at one point he references a forum debate so-called about how CIG should have developed the game more like Elite but I read the thread to the end (and it's a short one it gets closed by a moderator quickly) and there's nothing of the sort objectively speaking. sure it may seem like it in a single post if you're really being anal but that claim is a flat out lie and the source erroneous.

IMHO Kotaku still don't know how to write articles.
    Geers and cdrkf like this.
  18. Geers

I didn't have time. The article was long enough as it is, but you're right, I should have.

I'm always incredibly suspicious of anonymous sources, especially former employees. I mean, if someone asked your ex if you were a good partner, how do you expect that to go?

I also think the allegations that Chris is really overbearing and overcontrolling or whatever might sound bad, but Kojima does the same thing, and he's still basically a god in the industry.

It's also worth noting that pretty much all of the problems and major fluckups were not particularly recent. The worst is probably Ilfonic's assets getting thrown out wasting months of work due to miscommunication but since then it seems they've got everything nailed down.
  19. cdrkf

20. Geers

cdrkf likes this.