The Latest From Star Citizen (2.6, Star Marine, and More!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 16, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Behold! The Empire's favourite fuel transporter!

tatsujb likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

It's an impressive ship... 4 decks, accommodation for 7 crew. It's pretty much a frigate in size (100m long).
    Geers likes this.
  3. Geers

The fun part is it's one of, if not the, smallest "big" ship.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I fail to see how the bigger ships won't instantly crash everyone's computer when they appear on a server.
    Last edited: March 27, 2016
  5. Geers

Flucking magic.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  6. cdrkf

That is exactly why it's taken them 3 years to get to this point. They have had to create 3 custom parts to bolt on / replace in Cry Engine to make this possible:
    - Full 64 bit conversion of the engine for positioning and camera relative rendering for each client rather than basing the co-ordinates from a static origin point
    - Independent physics grids to enable independent motion inside and outside of a ship simultaneously
    - The 'Zone' system- this is a custom culling system that breaks all entities into zones. When you are inside a ship, each room is a zone, so the client only renders that room. If a door is open such you can see into another room it will load that zone as well. The exterior of the ship is also handled separately. So from the outside of a large ship, chaces are only the exterior is visible, or at most one internal compartment (e.g. bridge if you can see through the windows or hangar bay if you can see in from behind). Everything else is totally culled which really brings the poly count down.

For reference they already have the Retaliator long range bomber in game, which has 2 decks, 2 bomb bays, and engineering section, several corridors, sleeping quarters and discreet bridge and that runs flawlessly thanks to the above. In theory it doesn't really matter how big the ship is with all this. If you are inside a massive ships (e.g. Idris or Bengal Carrier) then any vessels outside aren't drawn. Similarly if you are outside then all the internal detail is hidden until it's relevant. It may have taken a while but they have built some superb tech. The next thing we are waiting for is an extension of the zone system to the physics simulation. That is the current major bottleneck, as all physics information for an entire instance are sent to all clients currently, which causes CPU restrictions client side and also bogs the servers down (it's currently in development).
    Geers and tatsujb like this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah when I put my mind to it these are the solutions I came up with. seems logical.
  8. Geers

9. cdrkf

Well, Squadron 42 (single player) will get released. That I am sure of (which incidentally is the main reason I backed). Chris Roberts knows how to make a good single player game. Also there is already quite a bit of game play in the alpha so I think the 'it's just a tech demo' isn't really doing it justice. Have you actually tried Star Citizen since the Alpha 2.0 release back in December? If not you should definitely check it out on the next free fly (assuming you have a reasonably up to date rig to run it on, specs aren't actually *that* bad- a GTX 960 + i5 or FX 6XXX part and 8gb of ram will do about as well as anything currently).
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Shouldn't we rather wait and see than repeating pointless accusations?
    The development speed has increased quite a bit lately on SC and I think it looks pretty promising...
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  11. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

This guy makes the best SC video's....
  12. cdrkf

Lol, yeah some of the new physical motion stuff in 2.3 is broken :p I've not had any issues with taking off from the pad though, just strafe up, all good.

The EVA landing / ragdol physics is annoying though, it was better last patch. Such is Alpha though, they'll tidy it up with a couple of bug fix patches no doubt. 2.3.2 will probably be much better- then they'll brake everything again with 2.4...

The attitude of 'lol how brokenz iz diz har har' is a little silly though- it is an alpha :p
  13. Geers

Helps to have a map:

[​IMG]
  14. Geers

15. Geers

This is so great:

[​IMG]

"Elite Dangeramen: This is just as good as the noodles we make. In fact, we're all big fans. Stop fighting about it"
    tatsujb, cdrkf and xankar like this.
  16. Geers

xankar and cdrkf like this.
  17. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

18. Geers

19. Geers

The Drake Buccaneer! A ship totally not designed with piracy in mind for the totally not-pirate market!

[​IMG]

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15350-The-Drake-Buccaneer-Sets-Sail
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. cdrkf

Well they've stated they are going to do a concept sale every two months for the foreseeable future- although any ship concepts after the Endeavor last year are for post launch updates so won't be in the game any time soon.

This particular ship might be an exception- it's essentially an apology from the devs to the owners of the Cutlass Black, which many weren't happy with for... reasons :p

edit: Max you really like throwing shade at this project, out of interest you do know the door in question was funded from the subscription budget- which is what pays for community content, and was built as part of a reception area for the regular studio tours they run?
    Geers likes this.