The Game's Speed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lizard771, January 26, 2014.

?

Is the game too fast?

1. Yes!

35.7%
  2. No!

64.3%
  1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

To a new player the speed currently is absolutely overwhelming!!! But us old dogs are used to it. Newest update certainly threw me off with it's pace, so yea the learning curve is huge atm. Newest players have absolutely zero think time allowed.
    shootall likes this.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Energy is already ABSURDLY expensive and is by far the slowest part of base building, yet ramping up is still pretty damn quick. No. It's already been pushed to the edge and it does not work.

The only way to not have an explosive late game is to not root the early game on extractor income. TA did this because once upon a time devs could see game problems and respond to them.
  3. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

What you are looking for is a grand strategy game, not a normal strategy game. Normal strategy games require split second decision making, and i know that there is no normal strategy game out there without it. Grand strategy games have this far slower pace that you talk about in all of them.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well the slower pace of the older RTS games gave a little more then a split second to decide things.

But in respect even you have agreed that some parts of the game are fast, some parts are slow.
  5. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Sure, but slwoing down the game to the point where i have time to fap is not what i am looking for in a game.
  6. igncom1

:rolleyes:

You might!
  7. darac

darac Active Member

I feel like the issue people are talking about here isn't just pace, it's also scale.

This is my point of view, take it or leave it:

Pace issues:
    • Unit health is too low - Creates unpredictable early game battles and no time to react before your whole army is dead.
    • Unit build time is too fast - Scales the number of units on the field very quickly. The easiest way to play is to mass a large blob of death and charge.
    • Unit aim is not good enough - Being able to micro bots so they can't be hit in the early game isn't strategy, it is simply a battle of APM and can give a good micro player a huge early rush advantage.
    • Invading planets is complicated and difficult.
    Scale issues:
    • Too much metal - This means the economy scales far too far turning the game into a laggy spam contest by the late mid-game.
    • Planets are too large - Resulting in a laggy spam contest by the late mid-game.
    • Inter-planet travel times are too long - This is just broken imo.
    I'm sure Uber know about the issues and have plenty of plans to address them. The one thing I'm worried that Uber won't address is the scale. The huge scale of metal extractors, planets and systems with multiple planets (small moons would be ok if they didn't have 100 metal spots) is what makes the game unbearably slow to play... I hope they get the engine working well enough to handle these large scales but then aim to reign them in a bit so everyone can experience a reasonable game at a consistent and reasonable pace for the duration of the game no matter how many planets or players there are in a system.

For me the overwhelming issues are these: Planets are too large, metal too abundant and planet to planet travel and invasion too slow and difficult.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It's not an all or nothing deal. There are a lot of different aspects of PA, they all have different field conditions, and they all happen at different speeds. It is perfectly possible to control the pacing of each piece.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yea I don't think the guys who were REALLY good at TA did the +10 thing
  10. igncom1

Its harder to micro at +10, sure, but I usually did it just to pass time if I qued up a long early que for my commander, and then set about microing my engineers to do stuff.

Slowing it down once your past 5-t minutes and once the combat begins.
  11. darac

darac Active Member

I think I plus 10'd in a vain attempt to speed up my computer that was too slow for TA at the time...