The Galactic War Begins!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, May 22, 2014.

1. tomanak

tomanak New Member

Ya just spent 3 hours playing galactic war and then i tried to back track planets and game is just stuck, commander wont jump to a new system at all
  2. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

I hope so. I dont really see the point of it as a single player only experience. Makes it kind of worthless to me =/
    Taxman66 likes this.
  3. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

FYI,;)
    >>> PSA - What Galactic War actually is. <<<
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  4. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Gonna be nice ey, when they finally gives us the options for save and load games. to avoid stuff like this.

Assuming that they are actually gonna give us such functionality. F5 Quicksave, F9 Quickload. Ah yes :p if only.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

The UI looks much more crisp and the sounds affects are pretty cool and galactic war is here but....

Not only the fact that galactic war gets ruined when i get into a real engagement, MULTIPLAYER DOESNT WORK! im perpetually stuck on 'Generating Planets'...

there's a tournament tomorrow, and this is bad....very bad....
  6. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

will we beable at some point throw Galxies at eatch other?
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

This isn't Bayonetta!
    But I hope so...
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Maybe you could launch every planet in a galaxy at once, at all the planets of another galaxy...
    nuketf likes this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I personally think Galactic War should work a bit more like Galactic Conquest from Star Wars Battlefront 2, where as you could use your bonuses only for one attack, also, you don't get random perks and drops; instead you must conquer a certain planet to get a certain tech. I feel this would be a bit less... luck based. :p
  10. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Agreed. The card thing is really cool but luck being involved in what techs you get is ridiculous.

Especially since you NEED some techs like advanced orbital and if you don't have that you simply can't win. That's not luck that's false difficulty.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ok ....played a bit of galactic war ...
    small galaxy cause you know testing and all that

first game metal planet only

me like probably everyone at the begining having just basic vehicle factory along starter turrets eco and recon ...
    first game all nice and easy got even a resource boost , YAY..
    got on the metalplanet spawned at the northpole ... AI on the middle ring had its small base
    i tjought ik this will be mildly easy ...
    build tanks expanded on the upper ring build 2 more tankbases until the AI decided to attack with his com and his tanks , no air no bots ... easy kill done

then the next one ... ... ... no new tech or boost or anything just an additional slot ..
    2 planet system with a pond having a halfisland...
    i thought yeah totaly lets spawn there for a bit protection against ground
    build even some AA ...
    then radar ... BAAM enemy just a bunnyhop to the south shore ...
    send even aircraft to me ... yepp aa good idea ...
    admitedly i played a bit sluggish this time so i didn´t expand that much but tried to build more tanks and harrass his base which didn´t work that well because he set up some good defenses ... no prob make more and attak from the other site! but then i noticed he build naval ... and was even close to finish a pelter ...
    time to get myself out of there!
    then after some minutes half my base gone, barely managed to finish an austreus before my orbital launcher got wiped ... got my com and flew to the moon ... fortiefied it and prepared for invasion with standart teleflooding

first attempt
    army was set up aswell as entry gate, build deepspaceradar, went to take a look as i lost my recon on the planet before
    he just got avangers ... wait air, naval, defensiv, orbital, and me just with tanks and teleports this got quite unfair
    still managed to get fabbers down quicly build turrets then gate but didn´t manga to fully build it after a bombingrun plus tankrush .... well

second attempt
    whole lot more fabbers prepared another tankproduction base on the moon plus second gate for when i get a propperfoothold just in case...
    managed to build towers and to get a good portion of my army through ...
    what happened ? HEAVY t1 bomber + t2 bomber + kestrel rush !!! are you kidding me?
    worse after i barely got a part of the army to the ai´s base suddenly NAVAL MISSILE LAUNCHERS .... a whole fleet in that pond ! .... yea that will take while to finish this match ... if ever ....

TL - DR: the AI basicly got everything available to him which didn´t seem the case in the first game
    and i just won because the ai ran his commander into an umbrella of mine even though it sent satalites
    well THAT was lucky ...

but seriously that was too unfair ... like the next best thing i may could have done were massive austreus+inferno drops over and over ...

yepp galactic war needs some fixing to not run into matches of frustration too many times ...
    of course i could have done better by early expanding ... but the difficultyspike between those 2 matches was too radical ...

as for the concept ... yea it´s pretty intresting as with every campaign starting with a limited techpool and working yourself through the campaign/slowly building yourself up through conquest and getting procedualy more techoptions seems a nice way to go ...
  12. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

yap!(i was thinking about gurren lagann :p)
  13. squishypon3

It would also give a bit more strategy to your choices "Do I conquer this planet for 25% economy boost, or this one for the T2 tank tech?"
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

T2 tank! T2 tank! T2 TANK FOE THE WIN!!
  15. thetrophysystem

I think that is a fairly obvious detail sharpening facet of all of this. For a release, this wasn't that bad. There are ideas like making the tech in the system visible.

I think adding 2 techs per system is a good idea too, but make 1 available at the cost of a turn and 1 available only after you aquire 6-8 systems so you can go back and unlock those later. That way, you have more you can pick and choose from.

There are other problems too, but I don't think getting something you don't have a prerequisite to is one if you can see which ones you get ahead of time, and I think more thought should be fine tuned into "basic" tech because it is missing some tools and some unlocks are pretty strong compared to others, orbital compared to air.

Also, let us travel multiple systems in our own territory linked together. If not in 1 turn, in 1 click where it automates multiple turns in a row?
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Although getting the card for an additional commie is cool, as that commie has the same techs as you, i always loved those missions in Supcom (and Supcom2) SC and others, where you had an ally as well, and seeing how the ai would work in the campaign
    Quitch and kayonsmit101 like this.
  17. hollywoodscum

hollywoodscum New Member

Great stuff! I look forward to what has yet to be added to this feature.
  18. squishypon3

Well if I couldn't see which planets had what there'd be no real strategy in which planet I attack; the point is to make the gameplay feel more realistic I suppose... You actually have missions, and reasons to take out those missions other than "Well there's a planet, my enemy owns it, therefore I should try and take it" this gives the incentive that you must carefully choose which systems to attempt to capture for it's benefits, it'll also pose threats to players as when the AI begins to attack back "eventually" it'll attempt to prioritize planets as well... You could go a route with no extras for a couple planets just to get this really nice extra planet that has a great bonus, risk vs reward essentially, or you could go to a planet with a less amazing feature yet your closes neighbor. What this would create is much more imersive gameplay in the sense that now you have a purpose for which system you attempt to capture first, another great addition could be home systems in which is your ultimate goal to take out (Unless that's already present, I haven't actually tried it out yet.) These kind of approaches could be great because your enemy might want to take out a system, not only for his gain, but for your loss- he see's you have a nice 2x economy planet; his mission would be to capture that to hamper you, and so on.
    blacksword13 likes this.
  19. leighzer

leighzer Member

20. thetrophysystem

I basically agreed on all points in my post. It would maybe be best if you can see the tech the system offers, maybe if it offered 2 techs and 1 is a given while the other is rewarded simply with a delay or after you obtain so many systems, and if tech is more balanced.

Either way, this isn't a bad start :p