The future of ranked

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, January 11, 2019.

1. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Kiwi, Surprised you didn't pull him on the fact hes Uber #1 and he said "Here are the 2 cents of one of the 'most air heavy player right now:"
    NikolaMX likes this.
  2. NikolaMX

NikolaMX Active Member

watch my recent ranked games ;)
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Now dance the Kestrels. Then dance the Kestrels and have a land force engage. Are the Gil-E still useful? Can the Gil-E track as quickly as the Kestrel can circle?
  4. billthebluebot

billthebluebot Active Member

38 gil-es and some accidental comm fire against 50 kestrels, that's slightly more metal on the gil-e side already. Added 50 or so ants to be more similar to your test (which the kestrels would have won if they targeted the gil-es first, let alone flew over them to abuse slow turning speed, which will always be a no-no for aa.)

Now I do get where you're coming from on this, long range aa is more appealing than speedy aa in my opinion as well, but the gil-e needs a complete overhaul to fit this role. Needs an accuracy fix, faster turn speed, new target priorities as you said and maybe a small health boost.
  5. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The better player is usually going to win, it's what makes them the better player.
    cdrkf and killerkiwijuice like this.
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

There will always be a place for larger maps in the ranked pool because it requires a different play-style. This would be the case with or without an air meta.
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

If anything, small maps allow for less mistakes while large maps allow for more, so small maps would snowball faster.
    wpmarshall and NikolaMX like this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Small maps encourage more ground use and large maps encourage more air use, and air engagements tend to both be faster and more decisive so I'd argue that it's easier to work your way out of a moderately losing position on a small map than on large one.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Anything that requires less macro skill (small maps) is going to be highly dependent on making small mistakes because there is only micro skill left.
    Question: assuming both players go the same build order, do you think the player that makes more small micro mistakes is going to get snowballed by the other player faster on a smaller radius? More of a rhetorical question, but the answer is yes if you ask me. People can make up for small mistakes like fabber snipes on large planets simply because there is a much longer travel time and less intel.
  10. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I would argue that you are conflating effect of the mistake vs the time it takes the mistake to manifest.
    Assuming all things equal except that mistake i.e. after the mistake the player returns to playing as per script, they are still behind. It's just that on larger maps it takes longer for the effects of those mistakes to manifest. That being said, I do feel that larger planets can offer more opportunity to re-tip the balance BECAUSE of that time to manifest. i.e. you must proactively hinder your opponent and not just rely on them making a mistake i.e. misclick/mismicro.
    cdrkf likes this.