The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ninja! :)
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I wasn't saying all that complicated stuff you guys are. I was simply saying one thing: A randomly larger playerbase like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty inhereits every sequel even when they aren't really good, like GTA4, has somebody come up and change really hard coded stuff for. PA doesn't have that randomly large sort of playerbase so it doesn't have that.

I wasn't saying it was easy, I wasn't saying it was bad, I wasn't listing it as a positive or negative, I was just making a comment: People rebuild junk they were technically never supposed to be able to all the time.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's happening with PA just as much. However there is a limit outside of which it is unreasonable to "rebuild" and instead you would write a new PA:Spring from scratch, mimicking the technical ideas of PA and using the same resource files.
    stuart98, cdrkf and thetrophysystem like this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Ekanaut sometimes talks about a VR game he is working on, so maybe its that ;)
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Relevant:
    squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

WTF?

PA is a bird that has yet to spead it's wings!
    Zaphys likes this.
  7. tatsujb

what genre? you can't be talking about RTS there. RTS is a genre defined by it's complexity. If it isn't hard it isn't RTS. name one genre that's more complex than RTS.

Complexity in RTS is a plus.

READ : I donnot support adding cumbersome UI and gadgety mechanics in the name of difficulty (≠complexity). however actual gameplay complexity is most welcome.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. doud

doud Well-Known Member

@jables Actually i think many of us feel nervous because (and even if it's not our business) we simply wonder how Uber is able to survive, where you get the money to keep all this cool stuff still happening with PA :)
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Dammit that could honestly make so much money. I can see PewDiePie playing that right now.... then 35 million people buy the game since he played it
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Oh no I completely agree and wouldn't have it any other way. I think PA has almost boundless potential at this point given the capabilities of what has been created.
    When you take that quote on its own it makes me sound like a bit of an *** - it is supposed to be read in context of the whole post.
    What was meant was that I believe that moving on is a good idea, if anything to keep Uber afloat - from what I can tell PA has reached the audience it is going to reach and I'm not sure just how much past players are going to care about amazing new updates given they may (and probably have) already found another game they are heavily into and so the update doesn't really have all that much impact on the player count and overall player base. That is what I meant by the flogging horse in so far as just how much does each update do for the game publicity-wise? (I personally dont know so if anyone does please do chime in) - just how much money is spent on each update compared to new copies of PA sold etc. That is why I hope Uber moves on - so they can survive and keep producing awesome games with a great team!
    Remy561 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

I really don't see a point in making assumptions on Ubers survival. They're not stupid. If they have to stop the project they will. So far it doesn't look like they have to.
    cdrkf, stuart98 and planktum like this.
  12. wpmarshall

If Tom Baker was still playing the Doctor in Doctor Who - how do you think the show would be going? To keep things fresh (survival) it's best to move on eventually
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. cola_colin

you just seem to be pretty set on that you for some reason know that now is the time.
    Even with jables explaining how PA is still going strong.
    squishypon3, cdrkf, tatsujb and 2 others like this.
  14. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I think the reasoning is, if a lot of us are becoming bored, what's going to bring the larger community back? In theory a huge update could replace us all with fresh, eager blood, but honestly seems like the writing is on the wall for PA.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. planktum

planktum Post Master General

I'm not bored... I still love PA :)
  16. cola_colin

That's making judgments based on the personal feeling. I am sure most people are actually capable of suddenly being interested into stuff again and it's not even within their own control if they are or not.
  17. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Just playing Devils advocate for what I think was the reasoning in Marshall's comment. I'm too buried in data problems to play anything at the moment ;)

Edit: for me it feels like a foregone conclusion, i'm just kicking around to watch the band play us out.
  18. wpmarshall

Correct :)

Don't get me wrong guys I am still all for PA, but I'm just thinking the bigger picture despite the optimistic future for those, like us, who will continue to support PA
  19. cola_colin

I don't think anybody but Uber can correctly judge the bigger picture. Too many unknown variables for any of us.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  20. tatsujb

yeah if you take a look at their position in steam sales and such it actuallly looks anything but grim for UBER, I can't find the dev quote, but at one point they even said they were doing just great economically speaking and there was no need for us to worry.
    planktum likes this.