The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Yes, core balance needs to find the sweet spot I mentioned in the OP and then both players and developers can build on top of that. Uber is making progress towards that point in development but there is a long way to go still (some units are completely underused, land and air T2 is not yet viable in 1v1 which causes a lack of unit diversity, orbital needs polish, the intel game need some polish...). Again, I think this will be achieved within a reasonable time margin at the current pace and with the feedback loop that we have at the moment, thus work on that front needs to continue steadily but, as it does so, all the other issues need to be addressed.

Hopefully once the game finds a stable point, with all the mentioned features implemented in a meaningful way, Uber can re-launch or have a big sale along with the final big patch. I foresee many competitive players (including myself) coming back to the game and possibly staying for a long time then.

Until then I will keep an eye on development and will watch @exodusesports events here with the Edinburgh crowd, but I will not invest any more time in becoming better at the game as it is currently nearly impossible to be able to play ranked matches regularly in an schedule that fits my other real life dedications.
    xankar, tomofleeds and badfucatus like this.
  2. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Does anyone know what Uber plans for this game in the future? Will we see more diverse units, more strategic gameplay, varied terrain that directly effects the outcome of battles, more exciting strategic orbital play, varied planets, more tech (stealth, radar Jammers, under water bases,etc)
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I don't see the issue when this was a promised kickstarter reward for backers who paid $1000.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

new galactic war = solution to all problems
  5. tomofleeds

tomofleeds New Member

I'm not a huge fan of the constant balance changes. I don't mind the change but like somebody else said it's a pain re learning starting builds. I remember the 3 mexs build in the beta and its changed alot since then, but that's to be expected from beta. Not so much from release.

As for getting people into PA I think that could happen just by accident one day if the right youtuber picks up the game. But I think that needs to be once the game is fully stable. There are too many crashes at the moment that ruin what is otherwise a reasonably solid game.
  6. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Case in point, played five games to today. Two crashes, one that made the computer restart.
    <Heavy sigh>
    Now could someone explain to me how I am meant to convince others to play this game?

#nolovefordirtymacusers
    elodea likes this.
  7. killerkiwijuice

but, why? How does that even happen.
    corteks likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

9. killerkiwijuice

r.i.p.
  10. jamesw100

jamesw100 Member

LOL
    corteks likes this.
  11. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Yes I too, have no idea how that happened.
    In context, I was playing ranked, planet loaded, all looked good, and poof!
    It was the first time that particular crash has happened, I got a nasty screen with a message from apple that something heavy (or words to that effect) had happened, and that the computer needed to restart.
    It has never done that before.

Without bragging I do have a quite powerful iMac. And yes I should have been working on it, but it was sunday, I hit a couple of deadlines in the week. Don't judge me...
  12. cola_colin

Aren't iMacs the small ones? Small and powerful and under heavy load. What temparatures deems apple okay?
    xankar and badfucatus like this.
  13. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

No, it's the big one: https://www.apple.com/au/imac/
  14. cola_colin

is the computer inside the screen? That's a pretty slime design, matches my concern of small and powerful under heavy load.
  15. killerkiwijuice

Yep
  16. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I personally love the multi-planet approach!!! It adds to the game, doesn't hurt gameplay at all. The console generation has hurt gaming in general, everyone wants their games to play on-rails, things are too hard waah waah.
    nateious and corteks like this.
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

does apple still put HD Radeon 5xxx cards in the mac pro? They were still doing that last year
  18. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Yeah that's why I hated the implementation of symmetrical maps. I love the idea of random maps, and this game really shines in team games anyway, so symmetrical maps don't really matter in team game either.

1v1 with symmetrical maps is always about learning a build order... BORING!!!!
    destravous likes this.
  19. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

2 things that I think are still needed:

reworked GW: In progress last I heard. This will really boost the single player retention.

2v2, 3v3... ladders: This is for the multiplayer crowd, important to get things going again, and will attract a lot to multiplayer who normally aren't interested. I will never play 1v1, but i quite enjoy 2v2 with a friend.
    Planktum likes this.
  20. cola_colin

1vs1 with asymetrical maps just means you need two build orders instead of one per map.
    squishypon3 and elodea like this.