The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

depends on what it does i always pictured that something like the megalith would actualy fit ...
    my take on it though would be to give it fatboycannons and a heavyhitting low rate of fire mediumrangeweapons

no aa, give it the ability to travel between planets but be easily taken care of by antiorbitalweapons (umbrella and tacmissiles) ..
    might not sound much like a superunit but a single surfacesiegeengine for sure ...
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

once again it REALLY isn't a factor of size.

Example : the best "super unit" in SupCom is the Paragon. it has virtually no hp, will create a nuke blast if killed, cannot move and has zero DPS. It is also the most expensive and longest to build structure in the game.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Which is not the super units everyone is talking about. Those kinds of Super Units are already in the game. Unit Cannon as an example.
  4. tatsujb

well I didn't know there was a kind, sorry. I still maintain.

If you need a better argument, take the rambo preset UEF SACU as an example.
    upload_2015-4-7_17-5-7.jpeg
    the unit is yay tall and yay wide yet the little pipsqueak makes mincemeat out of a fatboy and a band of three of them can mow down an ythotha.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

He's a lot taller than a regular old tank though, no? T1 or T2 as measurement.

Oh and we talkin' SC1 or FA fatboy? ;D cx
  6. tatsujb

it think both. since it really is that much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. MrTBSC

something i try to work on Gargantuan.png

i like to call it the Gargantuan

yes it´s a WIP (very much so) yes i am yet horrible with GIMP ... or any drawingprogramm for that matter
    but i thought i share it anyway cause i don´t know weither or not i actualy finish it in the near future ...
    yes i know it´s the wrong default color :(

sooo what´s the point?

as i said before i want to make something of a siegeunit that can travel between planets but is only dangerous on surface
    what i imagined this thing to have is a pair of gatling howitzers (actualy doublebarrelled)
    a pair of particle projector cannons in the form of scissors so it´s an actual crab
    what i hat earlier in mind were the scissors just acting as armsields simmilar to a commander
    with a weapon behind it , but then i though i rather like to have the scissors as actual projetile launching weapons ... additionaly this thing would be amphibius so it would land in water were he would be able to use 4 torpedolaunchers ...
    as you can see the biggest challange i have right no are ts 8 legs (yes 8! not 4 or 6 but realy 8!)
    i will also put shoulders on it so it looks a bit beefier on top and change the size of the scissors to fit with the whole body ...

lastly it gets 2 engines one on back and one on the bottom between its legs
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
  8. tatsujb

upload_2015-4-7_18-51-24.png normally paint skill post accompanied with comment about pain skill. welcome to the internet, you seem new here.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

All I know is that people love experimentals in Dox4Lyf and Ant4Lyf, and all of the other mods that have another tier.
  10. MrTBSC

what matters is that this tier does´t overpower all the others ... yes it´s fun to have large units but it´s annoying (at least to me) when everything else becomes useless against those ...
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
  11. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I wonder if this is an issue with PA specifically, given its scale. PA is designed to have an extremely large number of units, if I understand it correctly. If experimentals were expensive/time consuming enough that you couldn't mass produce them, then having one in your army might not be a big deal. Even if it's super powerful it still has to fight 100 units and can only target one or two at a time. I would like to see huge experimentals, but I would love to see the unit restriction option that I believe either TA or FA had so players that don't want them can opt out of them. More options are always better, both ways.
  12. MrTBSC

depends on what they are supposed to do: basedustruction, destroy army or bulletsponge, be just heavy support or some special role like a nukebot or so ...