The Energy Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RCIX, September 4, 2012.

?

What sorts of energy generation systems do you want?

1. Fusion Reactors (expensive, no external influence, high generation rate)

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. Air-ite reactors (SupCom style, pulls energy out of thin air)

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Metal Processors (SupCom style but consumes metal)

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Solar Power (cheap, consumes lots of space, generates based on light strength)

40 vote(s)
    95.2%
  5. Hydrocarbon/Geothermal/Hydrothermal (average cost, ramp up generation, must be built on a deposit)

38 vote(s)
    90.5%
  6. Hydro Power (must be built on some sort of special water feature)

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  7. Wind Power (cheapest available but unpredictable generation based on ??? factors, see entry)

35 vote(s)
    83.3%
  8. Other (please comment)

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

I do not think they plan to implement limited resources other than reclamation of surface features (like wrecks).
  2. JWest

JWest Active Member

I'm not sure why we can only pick one option here, both SupCom and TA had variations of all of these in the game, so my option would be, at the very least, "some of the above". SupCom had power generators of varying strengths, and demonstrated resource conversion as well through the use of mass fabricators (though that is energy to mass). TA had solar generators, wind generators, and fusion reactors. In fact, didn't TA even have tidal energy generators? Anyway, this poll doesn't really cover everything...
  3. thedbp

thedbp Member

may I suggest a two point generator, where one part would be on a planet, and the other would be on the planets moon, generating energy from the moon spinning around the planet?

it would be expensive and difficult to build, easy to stop, but the energy it would produce would be massive as it would take the force from the whole weight of the moon.
  4. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

What about units that are able to transfer to make it possible, energy generation through solar. Like defensive buildings can turn off to save energy, why not units that are mobile solar power generators.

when a feature is implemented, that different planet have different solar power, it would be maybe interesting to use, or even the sunside of a planet gives more solar power than the shadow side.
  5. thorneel

thorneel Member

If there are ways to boost metal production with energy (metal makers or ZK-style overdrive, for example), then metal-consuming generators should be avoided.