"The Egg", off planet bases and Lighting

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by northbehemoth, June 4, 2013.

1. veta

veta Active Member

That's because the contrast between the sky and ground is very high. It's the same reason when you use a lighter to light up an area at night you block the lighter from your view with your hand.
  2. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

I am not quite sure about how I feel about killing indigenous species as I attempt to rule the known/unknown galaxy. What am I going to rule when I am master of all matter if I go about stomping on all of the little creatures, (also it would divert funds I would much rather see put into additional units/a second playable commander [maybe the Kore and Zarm] to avoid copyright infringement that is.) I know there is 4 playable commanders I more or less meant factions since TA did that amazingly well and I found that very balanced play.

As per the other things! Relatively upset about the maybe not some sort of tech on par with the rocket launcher to stop it from touching down. (perhaps the rockets we saw which were rendered to destroy asteroids will be able to stop them from launching or a similar tech at the second or third tier. The lighting was my biggest concern, just because I enjoyed the TA process of the blacked out area, and I saw no mention of anything of the sort or any radar so yeah that is a thing that I would love to know a little bit about, or any intents for that kind of stuff. Or is it just you can see what they are doing at all times and you can see them. So it is much harder to be sneaky?

But over all it seems that the PA team is very very qualified and seem to have done just a flawless job creating this monster of a game. Can't wait to see what the end result is going to be. (Hoping for a huge Esports presence to take star craft down from the top rts for prizes and such. The day of blizzard has come to an end, and now the time has come for uber to rise.)
  3. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Alpha rollout post mentioned that amongst many things, "recon" was included as "rough".

Recon would mean radar.
    There is also a model of it in the early asset list.
    There needs to be a benefit of orbitals.
    The dark side of the planet is not referring to fog of war. its just the dark side of the planet. Hence will have most possibly...a foggier fog of war than any fog that has seen war on the dark side of a planet. :shock:
  4. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

I am certain there will be something like a fog or something that will keep things hidden, maybe not in alpha. But none the less it will be present in the game! 3 days and counting, till possible alpha access. What do you mean by orbitals though, like having a base outside of your own planet? Why would it not also be more risk to have one out there? Perhaps making it given x amount + the normal regen rate + having it be more risky to go about doing? Or is it just alright it's in space not much we can do about it now. Kinda deal.
  5. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I mean, Recon would be a major use for orbital units. Communication and visuals is the sole purpose of the modern satellite. So Im saying if they had actually planned against fog of war then orbital units would be very limited in their range of functions/unit types.
    And when I mentioned Recon as "rough" I was referring to the fact that while not going to be functional in the alpha, it implies that it is confirmed as a feature. Which it definately was confirmed, many many months ago.
  6. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

Ah, I followed the train of thought for the most part. And understand that though many things won't be in the alpha, such as the use of a possible mini map which Jon (Or Mr.Mavor) seems to be very against for a reason unbenounced to me. So, more or less what you are saying is to your best knowledge- Recon may or may not be a huge play factor :p I feel like with the orbital units they are either going to be giving an x amount of resources as an untouchable base, a missile to rain down rocky hell upon your nemesis and or some sort of way to launch troops from the sky. All of which seems to be stopped with missiles of your own creation. All of which is just total speculation. But theory craft is always loads of fun, and who knows maybe something said here will catch the eye of a designer and then they will mention your name in a live stream! :p
  7. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Unlikely that orbitals will be a base of any kind.
    It will be units. Like satellites that shoot lazorzzzz onto the ground, or recon, or anti orbital orbitals, or nuclear defense/offense. So you would have to launch these, and i would assume that they would be mounted to the launch station. These would be low orbit similar to an air unit stuck on an upper level of the planet.

aaand we are now off topic. hah.
  8. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

No, that totally fits in with off planet bases! In the rendered trailer you can see units being created and launched from a unit cannon, and you can see the metal generator pumping like it normally would on planet. So that is something to think about.
  9. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Ya but thats not an "orbital unit"
    Orbital units is a unit class, like air units.

Yes, there will be bases on asteroids.
    But please understand that "Orbital Units" is a CLASS of units.
    As in Land, Sea, Air, Orbital. but not spaceships.
  10. northbehemoth

northbehemoth New Member

I doubt there will be anything of that nature, but hey keys have gone out and downloading has begun! :p
  11. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Orbitals was one of the first confirmed units outside of the normal units. This is mostly so we can utilize gas giants. It was a kickstarter stretch goal.

aaaaand holy crap its download time?! I got a decent backing level, should be in soon.

Running home. screw this, im outa this office.