The Console

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stormingkiwi, May 8, 2014.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

How do you open it? My tilde key fails to open it.

To the Devs -

Is it possible to get some console commands going on, for testing stuff against the AI?
    It would be really nice if say, I want to test a hypothesis army unit composition. (Is building 72 Ants better than buildng 60 Ants and 1 Leveller), if I could just play an AI game and spawn those army compositions, rather than trying to explain to some random in a game lobby what I want to do.

We also have the sandbox game mode, where I think this could be really handy to separate stuff into - "cheat" commands enabled in sandbox, but not enabled in other areas.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

It only opens by accident, you cannot open it if you need it.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For now it's "~" key.

This console you see it's jQuery console aka UI console which mean you just run javascript here. There as well number of options for 3D engine debugging ("viz wireframe", etc), but everything else have to be done through normal JavaScript API.

Before when @metabolical show us some tests I seen that cheats enabled on server using it's launch option. E.g like "server.exe --allow cheat". I didn't remember exact flag, but I seriously doubt cheat's will work depend on game mode.
  4. stormingkiwi

Like I said, my tilde key, the "~" key, fails to open it. So clearly that's bugged.

So not the same kind of console I thought it was, ALA The Elder Scrolls. A great shame.

I see. It would be nice if it could work this way.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Basically everything in PA client UI work using JavaScript API so it's quite powerful, but first Uber need to expose functionality you need here. In TES console using scripting language which can control gameplay, but in PA client have strict list of things it's able to do and only Uber can something into the protocol.
  6. stormingkiwi

That's actually who I'm asking, hence why this isn't in the modders forum.
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

As SXX said, the console can't do what you're asking right now. What you're really asking for is that we be given the ability to enable cheats on a server. I absolutely agree, and there are tons of scenarios I would love to test this way.
  8. stormingkiwi

Correct.
    That is my request in a nutshell.

I am making that request of the devs. Sorry for unclarity, I'll update the OP.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I miss the good ol' alt+F2 menu.