The Asteroid Update - Hotfix Build 85423 & Release build 85138

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, July 31, 2015.

1. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

2. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

After the hot fix my PA constantly says "New build available: 85423"

I have tried deleting all Steam files and the files from Application Support, but no luck.

Running OS X El Capitan
  3. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Hmm... El Capitan is still in beta, correct? We don't officially support it while it's in beta, but I'll let the team know you're experiencing an issue.
  4. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Are you using the PTE? Because the PTE will for me falsly show up such a dialog when there is a release build with a higher build number but no newer PTE version.
  5. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

Correct, Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan is still in beta. I just didn't expect to be a bug related to the OS version.
  6. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

I was not using PTE, I tried switching to PTE but no luck with that either.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

In the Steam files for PA, there is a file called either version or version.txt. I forget where it's exactly located for the Mac, but I think it's in the same directory as the PA executable. What number is in there?
  8. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

Well it's inside the .app "executable" where there are several folders, its in the Resources folder inside there. Version.txt says "85138". So I assume the error message is right that there is a newer version, but in that case Steam doesn't seem to download it no matter what I do. I can try changing the txt file, but I assume that might cause a lot of weird bugs :p.
  9. DeathByDenim

Yeah, that will probably result in Bad Stuff. :)
    It's kind of odd that you can get only the previous version with Steam though... Can you try verifying the integrity of the game cache? Instructions are here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

If that doesn't work, you could try it with the UberLauncher instead. Download that from https://store.uberent.com/download/pa and see if that works. That's completely outside of Steam.
  10. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

Steam successfully verified the game cache without errors and still no luck :(

I have already tried the UberLauncher with no luck. The launcher crashes on startup before even showing a window. Normal usage gives no error message. By starting the executable through the Terminal I get this:

Victors-MacBook-Pro:~ victorzimmer$ /Applications/UberLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher ; exit;

[21:41:40.837] INFO Log file /Users/victorzimmer/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/UberLauncher/data/UberLauncherLog.txt opened

[21:41:40.837] INFO /Applications/UberLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher

[21:41:40.837] INFO Loading fake embedded: /Applications/UberLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/ui/config.json

[21:41:40.837] INFO /Applications/UberLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher

[21:41:40.837] INFO Loading fake embedded: /Applications/UberLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/ui/cacert.pem

Segmentation fault: 11

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]
  11. DeathByDenim

Uh... ok. Uber might want to look into that once El Capitan stabilizes. In the mean time, you may have better luck with the alternative launcher. https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alternative-pa-launcher.68233/

(Also, since you made five posts now, I think you are allowed to post links now. :))
  12. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

They probably want to have it working BEFORE El Capitan is released to consumers since Apple users tend to update during the first days of a new version being available. El Capitan is already stable, this i s after all a Developer Prerelease to make sure apps work correctly.

I tried your alternative launcher now (Good job btw :D) and that worked perfectly :D

(Because I can http://www.link.com or link://link.link.link)
  13. DeathByDenim

Well, good to know my launcher is compatible with El Capitan. :)

And, yeah, I didn't realize El Capitan was already so close to release. Rumours say next month already, so good point.

I still wonder what's up with your Steam though and why it won't update PA to the latest. You're the first Mac user I heard about that has that issue. But if you are happy outside of Steam, then that's fine too of course. :)
  14. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

I forwarded all logs to Valve, seems like it affect hot fixes and minor updates in all my games :(

The UberLauncher surely doesn't work in El Capitan and Uber should probably get that fixed before release.

Your launcher works perfectly, it even works with the new split-fullscreen features :D
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  15. victorzimmer

victorzimmer New Member

Oh and your launcher is WAY faster than Steam at downloading, tested it 4 times now and with a 400 MBit/s connection your launcher uses 4 min while Steam uses ~10 min
    DeathByDenim and cdrkf like this.
  16. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Kay feedback about two uber systems I played.

I've played the ROC system and I really like it I've heard rumors of this one getting into ranked which I do recommend. There is however one thing that I think should be changed and that is the spawntime of the asteroid. One spawns in at 13:30 and the other at 25 minutes.

I recommend spawning them both in at the same time (around 15 minutes). You won't use the smash simply because you can't get your commander safe to the other asteroid because it isn't there. Its a huge gamble to actually smash that first asteroid without getting your forces safe to the other asteroid or into space.

Also played on Medea and never even got to the point of seeing asteroids spawning in. Not a big deal because the game only went on for 16:30 minutes however it would have been nice to see one asteroid being spawned early in the game on that map (i think like around 10 minutes would be nice). People already have orbital by then and they can already form a plan to start smashing. Not my favorite system though. I dunno why but I don't like the nile planet the moon on the other hand looks really cool! You could use that one for 1v1 too I think with multiple spawning options.

Could you pass this on to @tvinita @mkrater ? Hope its helpful!

Edit: Just noticed that you can't spawn in two asteroid around the same time? whats the variance for? creating some randomnes in spawn times?
    Last edited: August 12, 2015
  17. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Variance adds a extra random delay to each spawn time (the max random delay is equal to the variance).
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  18. Vernam7

Vernam7 Member

hi
    on the last few builds i notice the launcher windows doesn't scroll anymore to read the entire patch text, when i use my scrolling wheel from the mouse. i hope you will fix that in the next build.
    thanks
    Last edited: August 14, 2015
  19. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Thanks for reporting this. I'll see if this is something that can be adjusted.
    Vernam7 likes this.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

just gonna throw that in here but please look into tacmissile ballance ... bluehawks feel barely usefull but against orbital
    catapults feel pretty much useless and stingers get beaten by leviathans in everything ... i say increase range across all tacmissleunits .. .. they should have a use in busting structures or high hp units but not track units .. maybe add tmd to the leviathan as a bit of a counter .. maybe also add a new tmd turret
    also some people report issues with hornets running into aa by themselves still and requiring micro to stay out of range
    Last edited: August 14, 2015