The Alpha Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 17, 2013.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Noticed, just never commented. We've been shown why Alpha's proportions are that way. Now we have to see what happens with the other commanders (my beloved Theta).
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I honestly can't see the Theta being able to use that Rig and not undergo a complete redesign. The Progenitor is a problem too for that matter; the hip location and arm length would be a serious problem...

So... What's your bet Bullet? Will they have a separate Rig for the Theta or the Progenitor?
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't think this is the case, as I showed with the side by side comparison, this is not simply some "test the proportions on the Rig" Model, it has the same level of detail put into it as the Delta.

If you're lucky, it'll be the first design made using a new Rig, so it'll work out fine as it's the commanders that use the Rig afterwards that will suffer.

Mike
  4. nanolathe

Considering the other Commanders shown in the files... and only 4 Rigs made for now...

I'm thinking Theta is later... or is going to look janky.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Now I feel bad for pulling someone's work apart. But I suppose that's what they put it here for - feedback.
  6. BulletMagnet

7. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

+1 to basically everything Mike has said.

I also really hope we get different fabber/gun designs for each commander (even though it has been hinted we wont)... I think it would be a great shame if we didn't. I agree with a few other posts in regards to this commander not looking special enough.

I do disagree that the pose of the commander is important though: this is a robot here, it's going to stand in the most efficient position. It's never going to stroll around/stand around with its gun/fabber pointing at the floor (unless its shooting/building something there)!
  8. BulletMagnet

You assume that upright and perfectly rigid is more efficient.

If it were true for people and apes/monkeys, then we'd see it in nature as a result of evolution.
  9. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I wasn't really thinking of efficiency in terms of bio mechanics, I was actually thinking in terms of the direction the weapon/fabber would most likely next need to be pointed in.

Less time moving to build/track target that kind of thing.
  10. nanolathe

This is a Sentient AI that has existed (if he's been lucky) for hundreds if not thousands of years. How was he created? Does he have a personality engram? What has shaped his loyalties and beliefs? How does he conduct his theatre of war and what modifications has he made upon his own frame over the years?

Also... even just artistically, robots don't need to behave and look like a plank of wood. Don't pull the "It's a Robot" bullcrap.

The robots Boston Dynamics make are mimicking human-like and animal-like motion because OUR motion is amazingly efficient. "Robotic-like" motion is very inefficient.
    That causes a huge amount of wasted time. This is easily provable in game just watching the Delta's posture and insistence on only facing forwards. How much time does he waste turning around on the spot and moving the WHOLE upper torso when moving just an arm in a 90 degree arc would be quicker and easier?
  11. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Yes, perfectly valid questions here - but ones which I highly doubt will end up having any effect on game play.

Well I didnt say they needed to look like a plant of wood did I... Improved commander animation such as rotating arms, and torso rotation would be very welcome! I am simply saying that his idle position (weapons forward) is what I would expect.

Again, I'm not talking about bio mechanics and therefore not talking about efficiency in terms of energy consumption. This is a war machine, it will act in a way which is most likely to improve its survival. Walking around (personality or not) with your guns pointed at the floor does not seem like a good strategy to survive.

Also, I'm pretty sure you have misunderstood here - when your idle having your weapons pointed forwards, instead of down, is in fact likely to save you time acquiring targets...
    Last edited: July 18, 2013
  12. KNight

Something I wanted to talk about but forgot was post/posture.

Pose and Posture obviously play a part in how something is perceived, but that's just it, it only plays a part. Even with the Model was posed just like the concept art, it'd still look noticeably different due to the things already discussed but in particular the Proportions. Proportions are one of those things that you don't actively notice(unless that is your intent) but can still play a huge part in how you perceive something.

A good example is the UEF ACU from SupCom2 as shown by this pictures I made years ago;

[​IMG]

Between the 2 of these which one 'feels' better? For me it's the one on the Left(highlight to view) and the funny thing is that the one on the Right is the original from the game.

Basically the Current Design has more fundamental problems than just it's pose.

Mike
  13. BulletMagnet

True for the arms, but not for the legs (unless gun-legs are a thing).

But yes, Youtube Boston Dynamics Big Dog, and PetMan.

Soldiers walk around in a way that best improve their survival chances. They're not stiff and rigid... and no, nobody parade marches across a battlefield.
  14. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Yes very good points. I think I should have been clearer in my original post; I mean the current idle arm position (with the fabber and the gun pointing forwards) is what I would expect! Further animations, such as rotating one arm to acquire a target, or rotating the torso only to build something behind is +1 in my book!

Also, PETMAN wearing a gas mask is freaky. GASMASKPETMAN.
  15. KNight

And the newest member of the robo-family, ATLAS.

Mike
  16. nanolathe

So every single Commander is expecting a target directly in front of him 24/7?

The Delta could think like that... he feels like a walking weapon with most of his personality shunted to the sidelines while he's in battle... which is all the time.

But EVERY Commander behaving that way?
  17. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Well... yes. They are all in constant war right? The only time we 'see' the commanders is when they are fighting over a planet/solar system against another commander... and you just never know when someone is going to unit cannon a load of pesky bots into your vicinity do you!

His gun pointing forwards would be less directly in front of him and more just entering his range circle anyway, surely.

Sorry, are we not getting a little off topic here anyway? :oops:
  18. nanolathe

No sense arguing with you then, since you're of that opinion.

And no, we're not off topic. We're discussing Robots. That's fine, am I right guys?
  19. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Since I am of what opinion? Why does that mean we can no longer discuss(argue) things?

Surely when someones opinion differs to your own, that is the best time to argue!

And I just meant we are going rather deeply into the nitty-gritty of weather the robots arms should face forward while idle... while there are many better issues to discuss regarding the Alpha commander model.
  20. nanolathe

Is that not a problem with the Alpha Model for some?

I think it's been obviously shown that it is a problem and a concern for some of us.