The Alpha Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 17, 2013.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

But I love the Theta!

Those linked images look cool, but they're all kung-fu mecha. What makes them cool is that they prance about and dodge (while flying).

Compare those pictures to this one;

[​IMG]

Badass, but not athletic in the slightest. That's what I like about Theta (and all of the PA commanders).
    archcommander, cmdandy and Ortikon like this.
  2. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Ya this is more of a chunky robot kind of style game. Not a big fan of the sleek anime robots these days.
    More hardcore, projectile firing, clunky death machines; rather than romantic anthropomorphized humanoid bots.
    The delta is probably the most conceptually strayed away design despite being the first model to appear. I do really like it though. I find that the two available are still a bit rigid in comparison to the relaxed poses of the concept art.
    cmdandy likes this.
  3. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Same here, really not loving the prancy anime robot look for PA.

Ortikon is right, give me some hardcore, chunky, heavily armoured commanders any day.
  4. taihus

taihus Member

Delta is probably the most anime-esque the commanders are going to get.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

After playing AirMech I really have no issue with Gundam-style mechs, but I'm not really a fan of them.

In all honesty, just look at the Commanders and you can see that they are much too TOPHEAVY and ROBOBUFF to be anywhere near Anime. I think the closest you get is the Alpha's uncanny resemblance to an upright frog.
    cmdandy likes this.
  6. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I admit that I like sleek robots better than those that are chunky. But I would just like another commander that is about as streamlined as the Delta commander. And even if they dont maybe there is a modder out there who want to make a visual mod.

And or course I want some more variation, but I heard that already planning to do so.
    4 Legged
    [​IMG]
    Hover
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
  7. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Garat,

I really hope the Alpha commander gets more love not really digging the model and I hope the units in the game are place holders... I really hope you guys add some kick *** looking units that don't look to blocky... It feels like I am playing a lego game instead of a kick *** RTS game that has sweet looking units that mean business... I would love to see different factions added and I wish I would have known about the kick starter on this game way before it ended if not I would have provided more funding where my word will matter more in how the game is developed... I only found out about this game through a friend where I was telling him my ideas of the type of big scale RTS game I would love to see get developed and he told me about this game and how it somewhat comes close to the ideas I have... I am all about big open RTS games with deep rich strategy's... By the way how can I upgrade my steam PA game? Should have first checked out your website before buying it on Steam especially since I am not a big fan of Steam... I guess the excitement for this game hit me pretty hard lol...
    Thank You...
    sinhosie
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yo dog don't dump on LEGO;

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Frankly I think a LEGO Alpha looks better than the current ingame model;
    [​IMG]
    Of course, I might be biased in that.

Mike
  9. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

I would say the second one looks like a dox, so not the perfect commander. If any I'd pick the first one.
    Of course it does, the real world has a far better rendering algorithm ;).
    taihus likes this.
  10. galactuskahn

galactuskahn New Member

So like Titans form Warhammer 40k
  11. digger514

digger514 New Member

Wow, I can't believe I never saw this before.
    Last edited: October 9, 2013
  12. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Those are pretty sweet, a little awkard on the super huge ones, but conceptually awesome.
    Been meaning to fork out a good 800 bucks for one of those forge world ones to paint up. Probably the smaller teir ones as they:
    -are cheaper
    - a little cooler to pose
    -dont take up toooo much space haha.

I like how our robots are blocky, and a little cartoony.
    I dont want to go full on realism clunky. The stylized look of mindless machines led by a superior command intelligence is relatively fresh to me.

I guess when it comes to sleak anime robots. Sometimes it reminds me of seeing those smooth body sedans from the 90's. Where i think to myself, "when was that bubbly smooth stuff cool? Why did it appeal to me?" I am starting to roll back into the 80's style of hard edge bevels and virtually cubic cars. Like the Trueno Aspec, or some of those older BMW's.

Another example would be how I prefered the vaeger ships in homeworld. Or take a look at the rigid designs of russian aircraft. Some of it was smoother, but still used alot of square edges.
  13. KNight

The thing with 40K art is that the time period the artwork was created has a large effect of the design intent of whatever is being shown.

Just something to keep in mind.

Mike
  14. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Knight,

Now I wouldn't mind seeing quality models like that in PA...

Faction 1:
    More hardcore, projectile firing, clunky death machines...

Faction 2:
    Anime stile looking bots like the ones you posted Knight...
  15. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Variation is the spice of life.

Just make many many difrent kinds
    Clunky heavy armored commanders
    Anime style commander
    Many diffrent kinds legs: 2legs, 4legs, 6 legs, hover, tanktreads

It would be fun if you could choose the parts for the commander. Diffrent abilities based on the parts. But complicated isn't alway better gameplay wise. For starters I just wanne see a couple diffrently styled commanders so I can get a feel of how far Uber wants to go in making the commanders unique.
  16. taihus

taihus Member

Could be interesting if we had a wide variety of commander styles, but we've got to ask ourselves: is (insert idea here) consistent with the rest of the art style?
  17. KNight

You can stretch a style quite a bit, a lot of things like proportions and such play a big part in how something is defined. Do something in A Gundam's Proportions and BattleTech Proportions and even if you still use the same style they'll still feel different.

Mike
  18. blaze2500

blaze2500 New Member

One thing I've noticed while playing (this may be personal experience) is that the Delta Commander has a faster torso turn ratio that the Alpha commander and therefore is a better "frontline commander" because I've had it where my Delta could shoot down aircraft where-as my Alpha just kept trying to track the aircraft which had already passed overhead and were gone. The Alpha seems to be "smarter" in that it can move into position to lathe a building faster. This may just be personal experience but this is what I often base my gameplay off of.
  19. kagaku

kagaku New Member

I bought the game a couple weeks ago (after beta started) and have the Delta commander. Not a problem, looks great, works fine. The odd thing is my friend just bought the game two days ago, he's got an Alpha commander. Is this a glitch?
  20. taihus

taihus Member

I think right now it depends on which team you're on. You can't choose at the moment.