The Alpha Commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 17, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

How so? Given the level of animation the gun/lathe arms have you are very limited in what you can change visually between models using the same Rig while still making use of those animations. Given the Rigidity of the Rigs it stands to reason you can't just sway those out otherwise it'd go against your prior comments regarding the Rigs..

The only way it wouldn't matter is if the animation we've seen for it is nothing more than fluff that won't be present in game but even then you still have some limits enforced by the placement of things like the helpers for the barrels and Nano-spray.

Mike
  2. Daddie

Daddie Member

Can you explain why? I understand Uber wants to make many special commanders in the future. How do you achieve a unique look and feel when the rig is rigid or limited?
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Well Mike, you have your calling then;

"The Commander Overhaul: Giving each Commander a Personalised Model, Rig and Animations"

I'd download it... probably pay money for it in fact...
    Hell, I'd probably get involved and re-texture every single Commander to fit the new models you'd be making.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Mike should be commissioned to do commander rigs

Uber pls.
    Grimseff likes this.
  5. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

I don't see how having the commanders move their arms a bit would be that big of a deal. It's a bit too rigid, in my opinion. If there's no time to work on this kind of stuff now, hopefully it will come in a bit later down the road.
  6. h4344

h4344 New Member

Is the Theta commander the yellow one? I only ask because in the lobby i have the icon of a blue commander. Or is this that same commander and its picture just looks different?
  7. nanolathe

The Theta isn't in the game yet. We only have the Delta (the blue one), and the Delta-Alpha (the yellow one).
    Grimseff and h4344 like this.
  8. nanolathe

Any chance of an update on the potential of how feasible it is to change the Lathe and Gun arms for the Alpha Commander Garat?
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If you haven't seen me post about it yet, the answer is probably "not yet". ;-) Please don't "bump", man. I'll update when I have more information. I almost always do. Unless I forget.
    LavaSnake, archcommander and Grimseff like this.
  10. Daddie

Daddie Member

I hear that knots in handkerchiefs helps you remember.
    Grimseff likes this.
  11. KNight

To be fair, you did say to ask you on Tuesday, we even game you some extra time! ;p

Mike
  12. garat

Fair point, and I did say that. :) I just didn't anticipate getting the crud from PAX, which was foolish. We're working on the commanders right now, and while I still don't have an answer from _our_ approach to commanders, regarding things like the nanolathe and the weapons, keep in mind it is only our approach. Within bone limits, the community will still have quite a bit of flexibility to do what they want. It is, after all, data and content.

Early next week, if he's ready, I'll ask Steve to hop in this thread if willing (or give me a brain dump so I can answer) to talk about his current thinking about the plans for the art side of the commanders.
    retrry and purecaldari like this.
  13. nanolathe

Very much appreciated :)
  14. garat

This isn't forgotten, but we're not quite ready to really go into detail quite yet. I'll update again as soon as we have more to talk about on the topic of commanders, rigs, and related errata.
    archcommander, LordQ and cwarner7264 like this.
  15. KNight

*sits mostly patiently*

Mike
  16. doud

doud Well-Known Member

this. :)
  17. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

thought i would correct you on this point the shoulders are the same as the concept if you look at how the concept art has his arm back then look to the right should of the model you can see the indent which is the same so it is correct but your other points are right
  18. KNight

It's not so clear thought, in particular if you look at the Concept's Right Arm, if it was supposed to be aligned with teh top of the shoulder as you say the arm should be hidden behind the torso, even teh Concept's Left arm isn't 100% aligned with the shoulder as you describe either, I view them as being intentionally put on an angle to line up with the other angles seen in areas like the Torso, to me its kinda weird that you have a torso full of the great non-perpendicular angles then sudden you have then very rigid boxy shoulders.

Mike
  19. Trylobot

Trylobot New Member

I think he needs bigger hips.
  20. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I think that the Delta commander looks realy cool. The Theta commander however is (in my humble opinion) ugly like f.ck. The Alfa commander looks alright but it aint exactly dazling.
    So if I want a good looking commander should I upgrade to Cosmic Edition?

But don't get me wrong I'm a HUGE mecha fan. And I know that the lower the polycount the smoother the game runs. I dont mind simple tanks and simple mini robots. But I want my Commander to look cool, be intimidating and generally badass even if it is just standing still.

I added some pictures of giant kick *** robots. To be honest all are far to detailed. But I hope that they an inspiration so that even better looking commanders are created. The game Front Mission Evolved has many mecha that look very nice even when simplified. (last link)

Gundam
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DloblZZGi7Q/Trarth4_9SI/AAAAAAABabI/8-beXIg3sVM/s1600/13.jpg
    Zaku
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/_...dam/images/a/aa/Fort_Severn_Defense_Force.jpg
    Vagan
    http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/planbgames2010/BANDAI_GUNDAM_HG_1144_GUNDAM_AGE_BAQTO-4.jpg
    http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/023.jpg
    Front Mission Evolved
    http://images.g4tv.com/rimg_606x0/ImageDb3/187578_l/front-mission-evolved.jpg