The 2nd PA Open - Doubles Championship

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by oxide246, September 30, 2013.

1. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Hey Guys and Gals, it's time for another 2v2 tournament!

http://pa-tournaments.com/tournament/68
    • The tournament will start Friday the 4th October at 5pm UTC and anyone can join.
    • There will be no time limits for this tournament (within reason), It will end once all players have had a chance to have their match.
    • It will be played on 2 planet systems of various configurations.
    • Rules are as defined by the Gentlemens ladder, except the player restart rule, which is decided by the referee.
    • A caster should cast/stream your match - they should be lurking in the IRC channel so just announce that your match is about to start. If there's no caster available then take screenshot of the winner in the same manner as the Gentlemens Ladder.
    • Casters are referees and have the right to restart the match if they think the positions are unfair. If you have no caster, find an impartial referee. Remind your caster/referee of this responsibility before the match
    • You will be able to update the results of your own matches directly on the website. Please feel free to do this. Otherwise let me know and I'll do it.
    • If the game crashes, the referee should decide whether it was obvious who was going to win or not. If it's not obvious a restart should be called.
    • GL HF!
    The easiest way to contact your opponents regarding matches is through private conversations on the uber entertainment forums. You should meet in the #planetaryannihilation IRC channel before your match which you can do here: http://pa-tournaments.com/site/page/view/chat

If you want to keep track of your tournament matches without continuously visiting the website, try this in game mod: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-pa-tournaments.50777/
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
    Clopse and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Count me in! though i might need a partner...
  3. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Pudding Munch just brought up a good point with me about game crashes. I have added the following rule:

If the game crashes, the referee should decide whether it was obvious who was going to win or not. If it's not obvious a restart should be called.
  4. godde

godde Well-Known Member

How is a referee supposed to judge a divided start versus a combined start?
    It would be likely that the divided players have more starting mexes.
    quazzi likes this.
  5. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

This is a really tricky one, and from what I understood on the last livestream uber are still doing work on the metal distribution. Are you finding the metal distribution more even now? From the few games I've had it seems to be more fair than Alpha.
  6. quazzi

quazzi Member

Good point Godde. If players do choose to spawn together than that is their problem imo. All I'm saying is be prepared for up to 10 re's just go get a proper match, let alone player's getting disconnected. Hopefully things do get fixed before hand.
  7. quazzi

quazzi Member

Also guy's everyone should join IRC prior to your matches to schedule times with your opponent.

link is here
    http://www.esper.net/publicirc.php
    join #planetaryannihilation
    oxide246 likes this.
  8. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Thanks Quazzi, there's always something I forget to put in ;)
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I haven't played enough games to be sure of that.
    I do however think it is up for the players to request a restart if they think their starting positions are bad.
  10. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Because of the above, my tournaments will always have refs deciding fairness.. at least until we're happy we can have games that will always be "fair enough" without restarts. One way this could be solved is if Uber implement user defined static start positions, but I'm not sure when or if that will happen.
  11. godde

godde Well-Known Member

While it is relatively easy for a judge to determine starting positions for 1v1 it is much harder to determine in a 2v2 when one team has chosen to start together while the other team starts separated.
    I think option 1,2 and 5 are all right while I'd prefer option 1 or 2.
  12. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Should we have a poll on this? I'm happy to go with whatever the masses decide.
  13. quazzi

quazzi Member

If they choose to spawn together than they can have the same mex as the person on the other team with the most mex.
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Don't think this will be an issue with the current build. A team would be mad to spawn together.

I think it should be judged on initial mass spots. I don't care where I start once I get a 4. Basically if a team has 8 starting mex, 95% of the time this will be fine and the better team should win.

But if a team start on an 8 in a barren area whilst the other team do the same in the honey pot area of the map then a rehost should be called for.
  15. quazzi

quazzi Member

Question, how will byes be decided this time?
  16. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

First round byes will go to teams with the highest amount of 2v2 points, followed by overall points.

Hopefully there won't need to be any byes after that as there's "no time limit" if it gets ridiculous and someone doesn't have a game for over a week, I'll just try to make the fairest decision I can based on who's been communicating best or who's been available to play for the most amount of time.
  17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

For the previous 2v2 tournament we decided that if mex spawns were too unfair it should be a re e.g. two players together have much more mex than two players apart. However if you spawn apart and are very close to a pair that spawn together or both spawn close to you then that is not a re because that is the risk you take by spawning apart.
  18. quazzi

quazzi Member

Woah oxide, I defiantly think there should be a time limit on matches. I don't want to wait 2 week to play 3 matches. This tourny should be done in atleast 2 weeks. I know people have schedules but the first round should for sure be done by late sunday.
  19. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

I'm just trying out a few different scenarios to see how they play out with my system. If you (or anyone else) want to hold a faster paced tourney during the same period then you are welcome to do that on my website too.
  20. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I joined the tourney for fun. Don't expect much out of me though, I'm mainly playing it to get a better understanding of the more dominant strategies as well as have some fun :D.
    oxide246 likes this.