Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

Not a fan of the 1 to 1 mapping of teleporters. StarGates have access to all other StarGates, not just one other gate. I also think it'd be awesome if we could build an orbital gate which we could construct on one planet, and then send to another planet once it's finished. Then units would drop down from the sky when they teleported in.
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

It would be interesting if teleporters were not something you get at T3 and were built by Basic fabricators (effectively make them T1.5). Building a teleport should not be easy by no means(cost roughly the same as an advanced factory), if the system was associated to metal cost per unit, then it wouldn't be to big of an issue for it to be utilized in the early game. Your factory hypothesis could be something that is slower to amass compared to a advanced or basic fabber landing and building the teleport, thus kick starting the invasion with whatever factories are on the otherside of the teleportor.

If we had teleports associated with being randomly generated on the planet, it would be unfair unless it spawned equally distance from all players...which is quite the constraint on a random planet.

Why does everyone assume the teleporter has to be expensive and late game?
    stormingkiwi and timp13 like this.
  3. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

My impression is that they are 1 to 1 but you can relink them to other teleporters when you want
    raygun1, cptconundrum, timp13 and 2 others like this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Which is rather like the concept of the Stargate network.

You can only be connected to one gate at a time.

What would be fun to my mind though is that if all Stargates were able to connect to any other Stargate in system- so if you make one if your base and your enemy makes one as well, you can connect to each other (it would make it a tough strategic decision on where exactly to build a gate as there's always the risk of bad guys jumping through it!)....

There is allot of talk on here about it being hard to balance however I don't see it that way. A good example would be if you build a passive bridge over a ravine. With no bridge there it is an impassible barrier to land units, however as soon as it's built it becomes a passable route. If you build a bridge there is nothing to stop the enemy sending units over it if you loose control- I see the Stargates functioning the same between planets.

I game you would build a gate for your purposes at one point, however later in the game that *could* backfire if you loose control- it's a gamble and makes the game more interesting. It would also avoid the game becoming stagnant at the point that a planet is so well defended it becomes an impenetrable fortress.
  5. gobbygee

gobbygee Member

One thing I do think though is you be able to build a gate at your orbital launcher and send it to another planet where it can land and be deployed, rather then having to actually build it on each planet. I mean you could still build it if you want but the deploy option would be more of a high cost invasion tactic.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

Also another thing that might be interesting to look at is maybe one teleporter per planet
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I thought a big part of the Stargate series was that any gate was diallable by anyone. From watching some of Stargate Atlantis, I got the impression that the Atlanteans were trying to prevent the Wraith/other bad guys from learning both the coordinates of Earth and also the Stargate number.

I'm sure there was one episode where a bad guy popped out of the wrong gate.
  8. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I have no information from the devs, but I am almost certain that you will only be able to teleport to gates that you own. To do anything else would be madness.

Even in Stargate lore it is extremely trivial to block a gate. Just assume that nobody bothers to dial hostile gates because they will always be blocked.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I was interested in this. Cost would waiver it's use, but could you use it for in-planet transport?
  10. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

I mean it could be used in-planet but it doesnt seem right to me :p
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Or use that secret overload thing that McKay uses in Atlantis.

Great.

The Stargate needs to have a fixed running cost so that it is viable for regular gameplay, and not just crazy interplanetary fortress where everyone has maxed eco. If we had some sort of send cost, it would limit the amount of units we could send through. This would make it even easier for the enemy to rip us to pieces on the other side.
  12. sharkxx

sharkxx New Member

I hope they´ll add the WOOOOSH when the stargate succesfully dialed , would like to post a link but cant yet :(
  13. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

14. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

No because starGate is a wormhole. Well. I haven't bothered reading the lore, but it bends spacetime rather than rip you apart and send you at the speed of light somewhere else.
  15. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

We need some spice to be able to fold space time.

Great now I have a desire to play Dune 2 again......
  16. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I just swung by to see what's new in PA and see this thread! <3 <3 <3
  17. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Aah, I see I'm late to the party!
    I'm away for a few days and come back to find another update already and a beauteous pic of a teleporter looking exactly as I'd imagined.
    Love it, fantastic work uber.
  18. superouman

superouman Post Master General

If the system uses a fixed amount of energy per second as it is now and not per unit, it can add a strategic value especially if you are able to dial an opponent gate just to block him and not necessarily send units to him.
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Daa-daa-da-da-da-da-daa (stargate theme).

awesome work!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. scifiz

scifiz Member

Actually... technically Star Trek, is a valid reference for a teleport that you walk though.
    Iconians had the means, though it lacked an terminus node on the other end.

As others point out, 3 may present some issues.
    Perhaps limit it to T1/small Naval and/or Air, so it's still viable on water planets (T2 being too large/long or fragile to send). Sending a bot/tank unit through to water could cause the receiving teleporter to be damaged and the unit lost.

One question I don't see asked. If the enemy overruns your beachhead while you aren't paying attention, will they then be able to make a run at you through the teleporter if you've failed to shut it down?