Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I don't see why for a cost I cannot increase by bandwidth.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There's no reason to have two different gate types, when the only thing you're going to change is capacity. Use a single gate type, build as many as you want to get the capacity you desire. EZPZ. That's the magic of not having unit caps.

If you aren't dumping whole armies at once, a single gate should do the trick.
    Quitch likes this.
  3. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

If only there was a way to spend resources to construct the thing that would let you teleport units.

Basically, what you describe is called constructing a teleporter. Nobody is stopping you from building more than one to increase your bandwidth.
  4. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

2 Parts:
    Suggestion: 'lower' fixed cost with a per unit cost to move units through, to discourage microing the gate, just give it a spin up time. So that fixed cost is paying for the option to move things NOW! and the per unit cost will discourage large armies (while still allowing them)

Comment: I am disappointed no one has suggested putting teleporter+unit cannon on an asteroid and droping it in orbit around a planet. THAT is how you make a beachhead
    Pendaelose and Quitch like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I've been saying stuff like this for as long as we've been talking about anything to do with unit cannons/teleporters/Planetary Invasions.

Mike
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That is true.

But still, what harm is there in allowing players to spend significant amounts on a single gate if they want to send more then the normal trickle allows?
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Did I miss the part where it's discussed how they are built/captured/deployed?

If they are built:
    * How does this change the game, versus, say, just going to the planet and building a bunch of new factories? I mean factories aren't all that expensive and I bet Stargates Teleporters are. If I have enough fabricators on an enemy planet to build a teleporter, I can probably build 10 factories just as quick?

I mean if they REALLY follow the Stargate model, they are simply somewhere on every planet and it's just a question of going there and firing it up, which relegates orbital transports to backup/secondary status. Which I'm actually okay with.
  8. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Sorry, I meant specifically in this thread. Also, the odds of me remembering anything specific more than an hour or two ago are like the odds of the gate passing through different stars and causing problems. (I.E. only when it's convenient for plot)
  9. zack1028

zack1028 Member

You make a very good point!!!!!
  10. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

There is the difference that you can amass a gigantic invasion army on another planet, then just start to stream in an endless flood of units to the enemy controlled planet via the teleport mechanism. As opposed to building factories and actually starting to build units there, which would take ages. Of course this would mean that the gate itself is relatively cheap to build for quick deployment... operating cost is another matter.
  11. adeets

adeets New Member

If you had a kew with halleys to move it, wouldn't you just smash it into the other planet and be done with it?
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

This is a question I have too. I suppose if you have several enemy planets to take and only a single asteroid, you might want to try to invade first and only smash it into the planet if it looks like you can't take it. That's a pretty specific scenario though, so I hope there is either something I am missing or more gameplay elements that still need to be added.
  13. adeets

adeets New Member

Or a building like a lawn dart that is built in orbital, launches like everything else, hits the offending moons orbit, crashes to the ground creating an explosion with the same power as a nuke but 1/4th the effected area, and off load 30 units. One time use only IE it's stuck in the ground.

Kinda like how I'd like the "EGG" to work.
    timp13 likes this.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Smashing a KEW can only ever work once(per asteroid) and you lose the income from the asteroid itself and possibly up losing all use from the target planet as well. Having a base with unit cannons and factories has much more long term use and is much more flexible. It is ideal in larger games with many planets and many separate opponents.

Mike
  15. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Why not make these stargates universal, i.e. it's possible for an enemy to send his troops into his gate and have them come out your gate. Fortunately as we all know from stargate lore, a gat can only have one active wormhole, so it's simple to block just keep them turned on and the energy pumping.
  16. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

you don't need to be encouraged, a lone stargate will just get killed and then your army will fall without back up regardless of what types of units are in it.
  17. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I don't think that that should be a problem, so far the issue you have Identified is incredibly specific. However that doesn't mean it should be ignored. I do agree that some form of transport should be available in the late-game between planets as an alternative to asteroids+unit cannons, however it seems to me that planets that are not orbiting each other are so distant from each other a lot of the time that no conventional transport would really do it. In that specific case a deployable teleporter would be close to the only use, but it should not be something used often earlier in the game. I can see a transport ship that can deploy itself into a teleporter for a cost be feasable, since it could bring some defenses with it, however this would have to be very high cost.

Essentially, there should be more ways of going between planets, and I can see the teleporter as one of them, but I don't think they should be used to make a beachhead on their own.
  18. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

Oh man if the teleporters worked like stargames did oh my would it be amazing.

Because yes a constant connection would be needed to another teleporter to keep you from being invaded. So if you build one stargate you would in reality need to build 2 so you cant be invaded from the enemy's. You would first need to destory one of the teleporters from orbit. Then could you push your army through their teleporter. Oh man the possibilitys. :D
  19. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

I think the teles shouldn't cost energy, at least not too much. Transporting units from planet to another shouldn't be wearisome, it should be as easy and simple as possible imho. There's enough work in getting engineer to the destination, building two of these things, linking them together and protecting them.
  20. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I am assuming that if one was to select a group of units, and tell them to move to a position that is located on another planet that is linked with teleporters, their pathing (when complete) would be a direct route to the correct teleporter and then from its exit to the location specified? Rather than a load-unload type of function?