Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Looks great! However, if no support for naval units how do we invade a water planet that is occupied by player/players? Once the system editor allows i would love to play on or at least have a full water planet in my system. If there will be or are other means then fair enough.
  2. sm31415

sm31415 New Member

Regardless of whether or not they require constant energy.

I think, that the destruction of a linked teleporter.

Should cause damage at the other end of the link. Nothing that would KO a base.

But say some sort of aoe damage around the other gate, that would destroy any unit very close and damage those a bit further out.
  3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I had this same idea. The energy cost of the teleportation would be proportional to the metal cost of the unit.

Now we need neutral (and maybe invincible) teleporters, players would battle so much to control one of these. In this game mode, it wouldn't be possible for players to build teleporters.
    Last edited: December 20, 2013
    Pendaelose likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Is the structure named the O'Neill? I will also accept Asgard, Hammond, or Conundrum (Had to try!).
    karian likes this.
  5. grokmoo

grokmoo New Member

Another solution to avoid teleporter micro - simply have the unit be always on. Once built, it costs a fixed amount of energy, with no option to disable.
    ryan375 likes this.
  6. Telvi

Telvi Member

I don't like the option with the energy per unit. If you have a high amount of energy this option will have no effect to the economy. Maybe only if the costs per unit are 1000 for a t1 and 2000 for a t2 or something else.

To shut down the gate will make it more special and unique. Everybody want's things which nearly take no energy and low metal.

The best will be that the gate can be build realy fast and take just a tiny ammount of energy. Just for the guys who want to build it somewhere in the end of the sunsystem on a moon with 10 or more factorys on it and the waypoint after building direct to the main planet. :D:D:D:D

You should start playing the game and not to let them play for you.
  7. llehsadam

llehsadam New Member

You know what would be cool? If you could shoot a nuke through it.
    thundercleez likes this.
  8. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

[​IMG]
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If mobility was really THAT powerful, then every Zerg Starcraft game ever would be dominated by endless Nydus spam. They aren't, even despite the structure being pretty cheap, with a high transport rate, and having no upkeep. So what gives? Well, it turns out that a Nydus worm is a single point of failure. Players can just snipe it, which stops it from being an infinite army transporter. So even though it's really powerful, it's also really easy to deal with.

I think I'm going to trust the only professionally mastered RTS that has a remotely similar option to what PA is using. It means that the idea has been thoroughly tested before.
    Uber is pretty committed to naval battle at this point. There's no dancing around the fact that water battle has to be implemented, and it's going to have the same problems as land battle. The more birds that can be killed with similar stones, the better.

One could state that there's an upper size limit on what can travel through the gate. Or maybe that high payload nukes are not stable enough to travel through. Nukes also depend on having a nice vertical launch to quickly reach altitude. They can't do that by flying through a ground based gate.

The importance is not about turning games into nuclear slug matches all over again. It's about making sure that the core game of robots vs. robots remains viable and desirable.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  10. cptconundrum

They can't really be that overpowered if the rate you can move through it is limited. You still have to build the units somewhere, and it's pretty useless as an invasion tool if it gets scouted early enough. The teleporter will actually be pretty weak for invading a planet unless we get mobile anti-nukes and better land anti-air.
    zaphodx likes this.
  11. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Why no naval or air units? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Causes a huge imbalance in forces, what's the point in building air and naval units in the late game when the only units you can take off world are land.

You are essentially forcing the game to evolve like this:

Option 1: Build and use land units to destroy enemies on homeworld, then use teleporter/unit cannon to deploy them onto other worlds to win.

Option 2: Build and use nukes to destroy enemies on homeworld, then use planet smashing / interplanetary nukes to win.

There is no point in building swarms of air units or naval units after your homeworld has been conquered, nor is there any point in keeping what little you have built, they'll just all be reclaimed to fuel the ground and orbital factory your planet has become.

Also water planets can become the ultimate turtler fantasy.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. hohopo

hohopo Member

Naval I can understand, and they still have advantages during late play while generating interesting options for taking different planets. (take a water world know its going to be harder to invade).
    however I do think air needs some way to get through, be it land based air transports, orbital teleporters or some other measure... otherwise all my planets will have the exact opposite I will have masses of bombers to take out bases un apposed.
    Altho we still have the issue of building said gate...
  13. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

IT'S A STARGATE!!!! :D SO MUCH AWESOME!!!

Just PLEASE make it dial!
    hyperion13 likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

It encourages you to build up a base on the planet you are invading. It definitely won't be easy, but if we get mobile anti-nukes and better land AA this should be possible in some situations. Cheaper orbital will hopefully mean that we can get at least a small presence on every planet a long time before anyone can fully fortify their starting planet. If they do focus on fortifying their main planet, you will have been able to spread out and get a lot more planets than the opponent.

Obviously games with more than two teams won't work that way, but balance probably shouldn't consider much more than 1v1. This does all rely on cheaper orbital, better land AA, and mobile anti-nukes. Without that, I don't really think teleporters can be balanced.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  15. hohopo

hohopo Member

I feel I should also point out my last post, lacks the excitement I am feeling here... IT LOOKS AMAZING SO FAR!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  16. LavaSnake

Oh, and would you mind adding:
    Stargate activating.jpg
    and:
    StargateIrisAnimation.gif
    Thanks! ;)
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think mobile Stargates really would be pretty interesting, too.
    Basically an orbital unit that just send into orbit and that drops the units onto the planet. Would also solve the navy/land issues.

So make it only be able to move 10 units per second. Moving 200 units will take twice as long as use twice the energy.
    zack1028 and LavaSnake like this.
  18. LavaSnake

That would work quite well for planetary invasions.
  19. zack1028

zack1028 Member

I really think that they should use energy based on when your sending a unit through the portal..... that would be just like a factory..... a factory uses metal and energy when it is building and when it is not building it isn't......

From reading all of the post on this form.... I think that what there trying to do is get the portal working on land and then they may venture out to navel and air.....

If there going to do air and navel.... I think that they should both have there own portal..... basically you have to build a navel fab to build a navel portal and you have to build an air fab to build an air portal..... But the navel can only exit from another navel and so on......

What would be nice is if the made a t1 portal and a t2 portal..... The t1 could of course cost much less but only transport t1 units (and the t2 fabricator)..... This could be used for fast combat and invading a planet..... The t2 portal could transport t1 and t2 units... but of course cost lots lots more..... and is use after you get your "beach line" set up for hard forward advancing......

Also in term of invading another planet..... "Logon" brought out a good point:

"Imagine a scenario where you have 2 very large plants not in each others orbit no asteroids, 2 v 2 v 2 v 2, 2 teams on each planet one team is going to win the planet and have total control, how do you invade?

Nukes- No
    Asteroid - No
    Asteroid w/ Unit canon - No
    Teleporter - Maybe, but it will probably be too expensive to build so it's not viable
    Single unit transporter - (How is this going to work well? no unit is strong enough except the commander and he's to "important" to sacrifice)"

Once they add where you can move small planets to orbit other planets..... this will really help solve the invading another planet issue..... because you could then use your "moved planet" to either build nukes, units cannon, or to have as a back up base while using the teleporter..... to move armies down to the main planet....

My Idea behind having t1 portal and t2 portal, is for having people to be able and start on "expanding quickly" and for it to be cheaper.... than having to build all the way up to t2 to get all of that stuff..... and because of the sentence above in red!!!!!!
  20. zack1028

zack1028 Member

Also I like your idea on that..... as I stated above on having a t1 and a t2 portal (see above).... you could also have the t2 a lot more efficient in term of teleporting.... Like for instance.... the t1 will do 10 units per 5 seconds or 30 units per 1 minute.... the t2 will do 5 units per 4 second or 75 units per 1 minute (and you can send t2 units)....

I really like this idea and would help to make there a plus and a minus for the different portals.... and make it so it isn't over abused..... or become the best item in the game!!!!!

Good thought "cola_colin!!!!!!