Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

Awesome! cant wait to get some game play in with this. I like the idea of gates using fixed energy rather than per unit, the idea of being able to steal and enemy gate is annoying and painful to balance. The idea to me would be to make a foot hold on a planet and then build your own gate assuming two gates can be active on the same planet.
  2. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

This is one of the best comments I've ever read on our forums. It makes all the late nights working on this feature worth it. Thank you. :)
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Is this really terribly important? Everything needed to use the gate is already paid for. The units that travel through must be built, the gates themselves have to be built, and if it's on an asteroid there is the arduous task of making sure it reaches the destination. That's a lot of trouble even before running energy is taken into account!

A steady running cost means that you won't be bankrupted by a billion dox running through at once. That's okay to work with.

Protip: Anytime you aren't happy about how good a structure is, just make it a little bit more explosive. Pretty soon the problem will solve itself.
    Last edited: December 20, 2013
  4. atharol

atharol Member

Wow awesome! :)
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Im thinking a massive energy cost....like 50k

or something less to make it more viable :D
  6. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

[​IMG]

Enough Said
  7. nobrains

nobrains Member

Damn, only 8 chevrons. We can't dial the Destiny :eek:
  8. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

This is what is going through my head when I saw it.
    karian, Devak and LavaSnake like this.
  9. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

i know right ? I want Destiny
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

The Nydus Canal from Starcraft 2 is free to use.
    Even with speedlings, the fastest units in the game, it is not overpowered.
  11. bobucles

The Nydus Canal is probably the closest comparable unit from another RTS. Don't forget that the canal and Zerglings have to be purchased, which is no different from the obstacles to using this gate.

A flat energy cost is workable. There's no immediate reason to believe it should be changed, made more expensive, limited, or free. Even if energy was a gravity-well-centric mechanic, it'd still work out okay. So the energy use is just a thing for now.
  12. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Looks awesome!

Fixed energy cost seems like it would be LESS micro, not more. Otherwise you'd have to turn off a bunch of stuff to prepare for the unknown surge of energy usage when moving an army through the gate. Better to have it just drain a fixed amount and if your economy cant support it, then turn it off. Simple.
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Wholeheartedly agree.

The cost to send a unit should be dependent on the distance as well as the physical size of the unit – not whether it's on or off.

Another thing this doesn't address, what if it's a water only planet? Can we not teleport units? How will we be able to invade water planets? Will there have to be some new special thing for transporting ships?
    zweistein000 likes this.
  14. bobucles

Walk the boats through the gate, obviously!

Wait, that means you need some walking boats.
    Infrabasse likes this.
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Connecting a naval teleporter to a land teleporter would be awkward, and that's really the only way such a dilemma could occur to begin with, since you need to have built a destination teleporter before you can use the originating teleporter. (Which also means that teleporters are probably the worst way to invade a planet, since you need an operational and well-protected T3 base before you can build a teleporter there.)

It'd be funny if you could use teleporters to drain one planet onto another.
    stormingkiwi and timp13 like this.
  16. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Lol, yeah and just extinguish all the lava on a lava planet. Turn it into a desert planet or something!
  17. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

I agree with the distance between teleporters should cost more energy but I think once the hole between two points has been opened the energy should be a constant to keep that hole open and not just a user pays per unit system. I dont want to be stalling my energy just because I sent 200 levelers and not 100.
    timp13, corruptai and Timevans999 like this.
  18. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

But that's the thing. You should stall energy because you sent 200 levelers instead of 100.

The more units you send through, the greater the energy cost should be.
  19. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Thats just adding alot more micro management into end game battles when I should be concentrating on defeating my enemy. Why make planetary invasions harder than they already are?
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I think we want to avoid random economic fluctuations. Having a fixed energy cost (and perhaps not being able to turn it off), would be preferable to a energy cost per unit basis.