Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

did i say that you personaly suggested it?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Why would it take more time? I mean sure, putting some kind of limit/Rate of Teleport might be required as a balance lever.

Mike
  3. Avaruusmurkku

Avaruusmurkku New Member

Liking the gates so far. They add a nice little stir to the interplanetary warfare.

4. MrTBSC

actualy there is already some sort of limit by the size of the portal itself ... you could theoretically change how broad it is and change the units per second that go through it that way
    i realy like how it allows units to move through it in a fluid manner and i honestly would like to have it kept that way
    as i said before just let it close automaticaly after x ammount of seconds if it knows that there are no units for it to go through to reduce micro of the portal and save energy
  5. KNight

Yeah but it's not really a set limit, it's not quite the same as saying "The Teleporter can only transmit 5 units a second".

Also, if you use Automation/Micro to turn on/off your teleporter as needed, you know what that's kinda similar too? A Per Unit cost.

Mike
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

You replied to me, if you're not speaking to me or my point then quoting me is just dumb.
  7. MrTBSC

how bout i actualy didn´t? i initialy talked to aevs who replied to a question of mine (page 15, post 292)
    YOU then replied to me ... so what the heck? did i personaly attack you or something?
    yeah i gave a general post on your quote but not something personaly to you ... so what?

you know whats more dumb then quoting the wrong person?
    not paying attention to the discussion before you and accusing people with mere assumptions
    please stop at least the latter ...

yeah it IS a difference having a statistical limit or a physical limit ... say you have a car ... in the manual it states it is a 4 person car (statistically) but physicaly you could fit a 5th person in the middle of the backseat and if you realy need to a 6th person in the trunk :D

hmmmmm noooo ... it would be a per unit cost the moment/while the unit gets transfered and you pay the energy cost for it ... switching the gate on and off as you need it is still applied cost to the gate as in energyconsumtion per second while the gate is open ... they are 2 totaly different things
    Last edited: January 19, 2014
  8. KNight

I said it was similar, not that it was the same. The fact is that on a very fundamental level if you ONLY have the teleporter on when it's teleporting it's similar to the idea of paying per unit. Also worth noting that balancing a Teleporter that stays on all the time and a teleporter that is only on when it's teleporting requires a completely different strategy and approach. 500E/s might be a reasonable number(ARBITRARY NUMBER) if the Gate was always on, because it's a constant drain on your economy, regardless if your using it or not, but if you can only turn it on when you need it that 500E/s drain is worthless because you'll only ever have it on for however long it takes to send the units through.

Mike
    Quitch likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

if the timeperiod of energy consumption is the mere instaporting when a unit steps into the gate then yes
    however if its a period of units entering the platform,going through the gate and it running say 5 more seconds after the last unit went through the gate without any more approaching then i think it would be reasonable
    the difference might be the amount of energy you need and weither to rally units in front of the gate or sending them right through it i think
  10. Quitch

Yeah, no. You quote someone only when you're responding to them, their point, or have a spasm on the mouse. The idea that you're trying to sell "quoting you doesn't mean I'm talking to you or your point" is patently ridiculous, unless you like randomly quoting things.
  11. MrTBSC

Yeah there is ONLY ONE way to use some elses quote ... it must be not allowed to use quotes otherwise ....
  12. Quitch

I named two ways.
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Tbh there are two ways to qoute someone (At least two normal ways).

The first one is the normal forum qoute, "You wish to reply to their message".

The second one is the more normal way to use qoutes "Using something they have writen but still give them the credit".
  14. MrTBSC

Reply to to someones massage =/= neccesarily directly replying to them

I used quitches quote for mere context , could have aswell just erased the name
  15. Quitch

But you talked about per unit cost, why my post did not. So what context were you pulling? Hence why I asked you where I talked about unit cost because the only reason to use my post, which had nothing to do with per unit cost, was if you were operating under the assumption that it did, and ergo, that I was suggesting it.

Otherwise you effectively followed my post about how the sky is blue by telling us you like bears, and then suggesting my position on the sky was contextual.
  16. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

LavaSnake likes this.