Techniques for Improving Framerate

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, December 5, 2013.

1. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The ctrl+p performance stats are for the client framerate, gpu memory usage, server framerate, and sim framerate.

• Client framerate is a breakdown of what your computer is doing and how long a handful of particular tasks are taking.
    • GPU memory is a breakdown of what is using memory, which often lets us track down non-obvious performance bugs. If this number is larger than your video card's physical memory your graphics settings are likely too high or there's a bug we need to fix.
    • Server framerate is how fast our game history server is running. This should be 30fps. Slow downs here are indicative of how much data is being generated by the sim and being processed and served to the clients. Generally slow downs here aren't going to be caused by your own connection speed, but it can mean we're saturating our artificially limited bandwidth to clients.
    • Sim framerate is how fast the actual game is being simulated on our servers. This should be 10fps. Slow downs here are on us to work on performance optimizations.
    Reduced framerates on the server or sim will appear to be a reduced framerate or stuttering. If your entire game seems to be stuttering all at once, ie: everything moves, then everything stops, then everything moves, that's likely the sim running at a reduced framerate. If the movement of units and projectiles are stuttering at random but not all at once this means we're hitting the bandwidth limit and could mean our history server is running slow.
    Last edited: January 18, 2014
  2. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well 4 me it's the late game that's becoming unplayable, does not seem to have issues early and mid game. I have seen a couple of youtube vids, and it seems others a suffering the same faith as me.
    beer4blood likes this.
  3. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

1080 is low res
  4. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

if you go for a piss without setting high performance the computer is off by the time you get back
    maxpowerz likes this.
  5. mabn

mabn Member

You're not the only one. I don't know if performance was affected by changes in the implementation, but in general it is worse as the balance changes (cheaper units) favor (and make possible) larger armies. All my games end with hundereds of bots running around and hundreds of planes scouting/patrolling. Addition of teleporter also added to this problem - now, once you contol the planet, it still makes sense to keep producing units as you can attack with them another one.

I see "sim" runing at 3-4 fps in every game which makes it pretty unplayable.

(i7-4770, gtx870, 16gb ram)
    Last edited: January 18, 2014
  6. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

low res? Looks pretty good....
  7. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I vote for making this thread sticky on top.
  8. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

`
    there's already one stickeid in the beta bug and issues forum
    FXelix and Timevans999 like this.
  9. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

The latest patch changed balance such that there are more units in the game. Like, a *lot* more units. Several times more. It's now straightforward to build a deathball of 500 bots and march it around destroying everything. It's awesome! But that also slows things down. Especially for the poor client which has to render and animate all those mechanisms of war.

Another thing to consider is that if the last patch improvement performance by 5% (for example, not a real number) but also doubled the amount of stuff in the world the net result is it's slower. Try not to worry about it too much though. There are a ton of optimizations that we have planned that will be coming online patch by patch making sure everyone has a smooth, awesome experience.