Tanks are OP... Please Nerf

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by nosebreaker, January 5, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think play styles have a lot to do with it, in my experience I tend to play better vs yaegz than you- I usually have quite a long game vs yaegz with a bit of back a fourth until the point he gets aggressive with his com and I wind up wasting all my units...

Against you... I duno I always seam to fail really badly as you drown me in swarms of dox. I think when you get to the higher ranks you get to a situation of some play styles are particularly good against others. My play style is similar to Zykey (also have great lengthy matches vs him too), I tend to fail badly to very fast players like yourself.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

The issue is mainly that the bot factory has 2 useless units whereas the vehicle factory has none.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Skitters. :3
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The scout units?

They are useful, air scouts are just better.

They make great suicide scouts.
  5. squishypon3

They're ususeful for 1 minute in the beginning of fhe game, after that it's exclusively air scouts. In fact most of the time that is my first scout unit. If I'm going to have a suicide unit I'd rather go for the boom, it's faster and can deal damage.. they're both one shot anyway.
  6. igncom1

Booms have no vision radius past their weapon range sooooo..............
  7. squishypon3

Yes I know, but at that point why ever use land scours when air scouts would be much much better?
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. igncom1

Well there are times when mass fighters make it hard to use you own airforce.

Not to mention they are very cheap.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. squishypon3

Land scout and air scout are the same price if I remember correctly. :p
  10. igncom1

Ahh, yeah I might have been mistaken on that.
  11. squishypon3

I just want the land scout to have a weapon again. ;×;
    Obscillesk likes this.
  12. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Tanks are OP? Don't think so...
    I know some good players which always use hard dox spam, but i don't know players which use same tactic with tanks.They are slow and hard for map control(especially on big maps).Only very small maps can give me feeling, that pure tank's spam is good idea.

Anyway, after more than 150 ranked games i prefer good mix with dox+air+comm rush with tanks on most part maps))
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

infernos are fine, they're excellent at soaking up damage for the extremely fragile bolos
  14. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Just two things in general:
    So you do assume that all of you are talking about 1v1 then? I´m not sure, it might be what others think as well---but when I talk about PA-balance I talk about 2v2 at least! And this is important course balance get a lot different when teaming up multiple players...
    2. The map changes nearly everything. When DOX were heavily OP this was easy to see, as they were ultra-powerful on a 300-rad-map as well as on a 1000-rad-map, course they were so fast, could kill air from underwater and reach nearly every damn point of the map they were OP on nearly AND map!
    Try using tanks on a map consisting of small islands and have much fun, unless you are able to place and secure a gate a step away from the enemies base! This is no unit that plays the same on every map, it IS OP on tiny maps, but nearly worthless on medium maps! (Gets it value back in systems with many giant planets at once!) BTW: Orcas rock down Ants like hell, but as nobody goes for naval as there are too few good naval maps/ systems nobody knows... :D
  15. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

I don't log in for a while and I find an amazing title for a post like this... So I thought.. Maybe I should chip in?
    Then I read the first 2 pages.

For the original poster, if he's still around. Rather than keep telling you all these things I simply want to put out one rhetorical question.

If we assume, just for the sake of the argument that tanks are OP, are there any other solutions to fix the problem besides nerfing tanks? Why is nerfing tanks the only solution? Why can't tanks being op mean something like, bots are underpowered instead?

Alternatively, if we 2x bots health, making them die in 2 shots instead of 1 shot. That'd make them almost imba OP against tanks right? Or maybe that'd actually balance it out? Who knows.

At cdrkf as an afterthought, if yaegz is being aggressive with his commander, does it leave the sides/back of his base exposed? I don't know anything about the games you've played- ideally yaegz would have some kind of static defence.

But that'd be my solution, the further he pushes forward, the more exposed he is elsewhere. Look for it and win.
  16. squishypon3

If balance is good for 1v1 it should work well in a team game as well.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Just a little thing to think about.

Buffing tank HP by 20 would actually buff dox as they would enable more efficient destruction of enemy tanks (20 damage is done by dox in one volley and they shoot one volley per second, tank does 84 damage per shot and shoot every two seconds. Ant killing ant without anything else would make the final shot have an overkill of well over 60 damage, compared to 2 if a dox fires at the tank once before the tanks fire)
  18. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

With yaegz it's never that simple... Ignore his com push and I'd lose my base, attack him might force him back but I usually lose more stuff in process.

During all this there are raids going on probing for weaknesses in his defence (and vice versa against me). Thing is he is #1 for a reason :p
  20. nosebreaker

nosebreaker Post Master General

Thank you every one for your participation in my thread

After reading through a couple times.
    I would be comfotable in feeling most people agree with my OP in one way or another.
    To add another solution what if Uber shifted tanks to become a t2 unit, thus delaying its arival on the battlefield
    sufficiently enough to allow dox and grenadier time to be utilized ?
    The fact that so many people are passionate in their posts alludes to the seriousness of the currant problem
    we are all faced with.

The Nosebreaker Thoroughly approves this message