Tank not very.. Tanky?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Daichiko, February 8, 2011.

1. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

My Tank got a lot better when I realized I wasn't charging enough.
  2. Goose

Goose Active Member

Tank is underpowered at the start of a match simply because he is only dangerous to many classes fully upgraded. Gold Armor + Passive 3 means that only a Gunner can easily take you down and makes you one hell of a beast. I recommend taking it slow until you get funds to upgrade passive to 3 and then going in for kills. The next skill you should upgrade is Charge because it is a free kill regardless of class once it connects at level 3.

Product bombs are important simply because they can take out a swarm of bots from a distance so i typically upgrade that next. Deploy is good but i never upgrade it past 2.

I recommend running:

Gold Armor
    Silver RoF
    Bronze Skill Rec.

I used to have another class with silver Skill recovery becaue I loved having my jet charge ready whenever i need it.
  3. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Except when you get those freak charges that launch people halfway across the map. :shock:
  4. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Yeah, charge knockback is horribly inconsistent, for both tank and assault
  5. Providence

Providence New Member

To play well as tank, you must be smart and think tactically. You won't overpower everyone with your firepower like a gunner, but you have a wide assortment of skills. Assess situation and use the appropriate skill combos.
  6. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

If I want to play Tanky Tank, I go with health regen/armour/whatever. Silver armour is good enough to survive any engagement unless you get caught horribly out of position. Gold regen is just so sweet for keeping the pressure up. It removes the need to deploy to recover quickly, and if you do it anyway, the recovery is just through the roof. And if you stick around your own bots, you should be able to survive engagements with gunners and assaults, because their bullet weapons can't hit you behind bots. Be careful of grenades and mortars, though.

Also, railgun tank is definitely a valid playstyle, but I don't recommend botfarming with the railgun too much. It builds juice so incredibly slow and juice is one of the Tank's greatest aspects. For the same reason, I almost never DB bots, it's just a waste of juice potential. Only when it's absolutely needed and the only way to get rid of bots right there and then. Personally, I don't bother too much with the railgun and I just focus on closing the gap and positioning. Skill regen is one of my favorite endorsements on the tank, rather than RoF. I nearly always pick at least bronze and often gold (especially on Spunky). Instead of railgun farming, you can nadefarm which builds a lot more juice and is just as reliable, IMO. It has the added plus of clusterfucking everyone near his friendly bots.
  7. Goose

Goose Active Member

I agree. When charged in the air, it should launch you far. From the ground, it should do what it is supposed to do. I think the problem is that people attempt to jump right when you charge and it doesn't recognize it correctly.