Tabletop Licenses

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, September 7, 2014.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I've mostly finished a tabletop game. Granted, almost none of it is written down, but most of the mechanics are so largely universal that the system can easily be explained as you play using a few existing rulebooks from other systems. If I wanted I could probably write up a core rules book at this point, but something is bothering me.

The thing is, one of the games it pulls from isn't OGL compatible.

Star Wars Saga Edition has some of what I consider the best unique mechanics for a tabletop RPG from a minis combat character building sense. It's also one of the few games I've seen where it explicitly states that nothing in the game is OGC, instead of claiming the mechanics are and the flavor isn't.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I'd totally rewrite Dungeons & Dragons to be epic sci fi if I were even remotely familiar with it. 98% of my knowledge of D&D comes from an episode of The IT Crowd.

If it's sci fi, I'll give it a try!
    (hey that rhymes!)
  3. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Nope, it's fantasy.

Although the default world is based on a bastardization of Newtonian physics.

Essentially you can move objects distances in dimensions that don't exist in our reality. Fire and water is as much a state of an area as distance and time are, so magic is performed by moving objects along those dimensions instead of the normal x,y,z ones.

The magic system I'm using doesn't take that much into account though. It's just that charismatic people can "push" things along those dimensions more forcefully to create larger effects. Intelligent people can do it more accurately and produce more unique effects.