System Designer Map Save Error and lack of features

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Bledadeva, April 8, 2016.

1. Bledadeva

Bledadeva New Member

My main problem is I try to save my map in System Designer and nothing happens. I hit the save button and nothing happens, I try to leave and it asks me to save. I try that and no save.

I bought Planetary Annihilation awhile ago when it was in Alpha and loved the game even more since the switch to Titans and made a lot of maps for people to play. Although two features that diminished my time into the game isn't in the System Designer.

- Rewind feature/restart
    I've made a few collision course maps in the past because I test it out this way. They no longer have this feature in the system designer. I don't want to save my map and re-enter the map just to test it out.

- Game length time
    I also use this for collision maps and when planets get closer to other maps for a faster flight. Without this, I don't know how long the game is going on for. I know it didn't fully work before, but it still gave an estimate time.

What are the Devs thought on bringing these two features back in some way?
    Last edited: April 11, 2016
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Assuming you didn't forget to set one of the planets as a starting planet, then you may have stumbled on a rare but known issue. The saving of maps sometimes breaks when there is an invalid system. If you go to the system list, there may be a system at the end with just a empty box as the name. The main cause for this is when two PA instances have been running at the same time. The only way I know to get around this is to clear the entire configuration. This will however delete any previously saved systems, galactic wars, settings, and save games. You can export your systems first though and reimport them later again.

To reset the configuration, close PA, and go to the PA settings directory here:
    Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment (copy-paste this in the address bar of File Explorer)
    OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment
    Linux: ~/.local/Uber Entertainment
    There should be a directory called "Planetary Annihilation" there. Rename it to "Planetary Annihilation.bak" and start PA again. You should be able to save systems again now. If not, you can delete the newly created "Planetary Annihilation" folder and rename the old one back.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

exporting saves lives
    elodea and stuart98 like this.
  4. Bledadeva

Bledadeva New Member

Awesome, that did the trick. Although I have another problem..

If I change the orbit of a planet to an oval or just change the default path of it, save the game, and then re-enter the game, it won't have that specific path that I created. Is there a system designer mod that I can use instead? It seems that the System Designer is extremely buggy now than it ever was before.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

that's another bug. I don't think anyone has been able to solve this... really annoying :s
  6. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

I gave up on planet customization. My customizations are working as long as the game is running. If I relaunch the game, all my CSGs are gone and all my planets are vanilla. They're there, have names, so something was saved but all custom features are gone and orbits too. What was a moon is now a planet, all orbits reset to circles too.

We need bugs annihilation.
  7. Bledadeva

Bledadeva New Member

This is very disappointing, why can't the devs fix these issues? Did they give up on the game
  8. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

LOL, so I made a system yesterday. Went straight to playing it and the orbits were all messed up: some planets were orbiting other planets instead of the star:/ Went back to the designer and all looked fine!
    Last edited: April 22, 2016