Swirls! Do you like them or not? [poll]

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by solpandan, April 17, 2013.

?

Do you like them swirls?

1. YES, THEY ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER!

53 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. YES, as long they don have big impact on gameplay!

66 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. NO, KILL THEM WITH FIRE!

33 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. DON'T REALLY CARE!

40 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Elijah has worked on games closer than 10 years ago. Aren't you paying attention at all?
  2. stevenside

stevenside Member

No. I don't stalk devs sadly. You should relax abit and be less toxic.
  3. nanolathe

So you know next to nothing about Planetary Annihilation's development team and haven't bothered to watch the Pathfinding Livestream just a week ago?

Classy by the way, implying that I'm a stalker. Maybe it's you who should calm down and lay off the personal insults, eh?
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

To be fair, nano, you are coming off as quite aggressive in this thread.
  5. nanolathe

I guess you're right. I'm just a little tired of people wanting "Safe" (in my mind boring, repetitive, lacking any style or identity, dull as dishwater) gameplay when it comes to map design.

---

There are two, and only two "valid" reasons against their inclusion;
    "I don't like things that are different." and "What if it breaks?"

The first, I find downright offensively hypocritic in a game where people are apparently fine with an entire solar system as your field of battle with multiple maps, that you can literally remove from the system... and yet they have a problem with a artistic flourish that doesn't just constitute pretty graphics but might create a whole different style of play around them?

The second is fear-mongering. They have no idea if it works (partially because it's not been done before) and are willing to shoot it down before it even has a chance to fly.

In this context is either, someones willful acceptance of one idea and willful denial of another, being ignorant of both, or it's someones willful sabotage of something they don't like without an actual reason to do so.
    As for Fear-Mongering, it's someone's ignorance being blatantly obvious, but in their attempt to hide that ignorance they try to incite a witch-hunt against the idea. Not only do they not even attempt to dispel their own ignorance, but actively promote it in other people.

I happen to react VERY badly to anyone promoting ignorance.

---

"Swirls?"
    "They're a weird new thing I've never seen before!"
    "Somebody think of the children!"
    "Let's never let them happen!"
    Last edited: April 19, 2013
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Oh I know how frustrating debating on forums can be at times, and tone of voice doesn't often carry well in text either, which doesn't help.
  7. nanolathe

My tone of voice within this topic isn't supposed to sound particularly aggressive...
    more condescending.

Try to imagine I'm talking to people who don't know, nor understand, what they're talking about, and yet seem able to take a viewpoint and opinion on it (against it).

Hard to imagine, I know... :roll:

---

To be utterly clear, my stance on the topic is not;
    "I know they will work and they will be awesome!"

My stance is;
    "I'm completely willing to give them the CHANCE to be awesome, gameplay and all!"

The main stance against them is;
    "I durnt know 'bout them there Swerls. What's iffn they's break... or worse; make m'learn stuff?"
    (You may, or may not decide to read that aloud in a hillbilly accent. That's up to you.)