Super Units in PA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, February 10, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That's a good thing. PA is about map control. You shouldn't be able to just send a unit and invade an area without really working at it if the enemy is actively defending there. In order to gain ground, you need to fight a war. Scout out their weak spots, send a decoy attack somewhere else, then send in a large army of mixed units. Back it up with air if you need to, and just play the game. You are asking for a way to attack an area without doing any of the work.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well what nano bluntly means is that a unit needs a little more then it's ability to dodge a attack to be included.
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

A fatboy provides map control. That is it's forte. I like to play like a bulldozer and aggressively roll over the front door. A fatboy provides exactly that service. Which is why I am sad to see it mostly just used as a big tank. And I think there's an opportunity to balance it as something other than that. I don't think it's entirely out of place here. It obviously would not stand alone by any reasonable measure either. It becomes part of the work, not a replacement for it.
    iron420 likes this.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Then why are you suggesting exactly that?
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

No. Everything with a weapon ever provides map control.
    MrTBSC, nanolathe and igncom1 like this.
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

It really doesn't. After it's dead you have no control. A fatboy reinforces and provides a beachhead for building defensive positions. That is map control that matters.
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

So does a normal Factory and a turret.

Essentially what you're asking for is a 'riskless' Frankenstein's monster Fac-turret that can run away when threatened or move up and punish your enemy mercilessly if it's not under threat. Apparently you want it to be fast enough to escape most threats too.
  8. cptconundrum

A fatboy can provide map control without adding any of the strategic depth you see in the game now. Even the good megabot suggestions don't try to create long range artillery with extreme armor. Instead, megabot supporters often want a unit that does one thing very well while making sacrifices in other stats. At least that kind of megabot still encourages you to combine units and strategies in more interesting ways than "send fatboy over there and destroy everything."
  9. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Which you can't build in contested space.
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Building bases in Supcom was much more difficult than PA. The engineers were slow, pathetically fragile and construction was expensive. New bases could not exist without shielding, which became a major obstacle that increased construction costs.

PA has cheaper factories, okay-ish engineers and lots of mobility. The need for a forward base is much lower. The cost of building a forward base is much lower. There's no shields to muck things up. The fatboy is obsolete.
  11. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear.

I don't want a fatboy that just shoots things. It should defend itself but no more than that.

Maybe the past 30 mentions of how much I hate it just being a big tank didn't clue you in?
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah.....no. There are plenty of people who disapprove of the current state of Nucks.

bmb, good to see you haven't changed in your absence.

Mike
    Pendaelose likes this.
  13. cptconundrum

And maybe you missed the part where I said that if a megabot were to work in this game, it would need to do one and only one thing. A mobile factory could be balanced. A large mobile weapon could be balanced. An argument can be made as to whether or not those actually improve gameplay, but they could work on paper. A large unit that tries to take on multiple roles just takes away the whole point of having units work together. Why can't a mobile factory be defended by a group of units surrounding it?

To be honest, it sounds like you might just be having some trouble figuring out how to combine units and tactics in ways that makes the sum of each part greater than any individual unit.
    MrTBSC and Pendaelose like this.
  14. nanolathe

Indeed, I missed arguing with a brick wall about as much as a hole in the head.
    :p
    cptconundrum and igncom1 like this.
  15. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I really don't appreciate being blamed for having an opinion. People just respond poorly to my opinions somehow. And I feel compelled to defend them even though I shouldn't have to.

But don't blame me here.
  16. nanolathe

You haven't expressed much of an opinion... more like a demand. You want a Fatboy-like unit in PA and damn the consequences, despite the fact that it really adds nothing to the game that isn't already there.
  17. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I didn't make any demands. Whatever demands I made was purely in the eye of the beholder. I like the thing and I'd like to see it but I'm fine with it not being there. I might certainly attempt to mod it in even if it isn't just because I like it so much.
  18. nanolathe

Again, that's not much of an opinion. Suggesting that you want something because you like it doesn't add up to anything more than a demand for your desire to be satisfied, especially when you're not able to defend the concept of it from a gameplay perspective adequately enough to sway every onlooker to your side.

I think the Fatboy, though interesting conceptually from a specific perspective, adds very little to gameplay since its existence is almost utterly superfluous given the options already available and those options we know are in development.

Combined-arms style units just don't appear to be what PA is going for, thus the "mobile factory that is able to defend itself, create beachheads and avoid nukes" just flies in the face of the design direction.
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I have defended it more than adequately. You have just been contrarian this whole time and not able to accept my defense, instead falling back on your initial suppositions the whole time.

Again you are putting words in my mouth, creating straw men to the moon and back. I did not demand it, a suggestion is not a demand. You must be able to separate these simple concepts. In fact it's barely a suggestion, more of an observation of how it is interesting.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

To me Kroghoth = cheap commbomb replacement
    You know what else is intimidating? Nukes, blobs of powerfull t2 units ranging from artilery to bombers ... and last but least asteroids ...

And i could not care less about a bit less micro if i have to use hundrets of units anyway ..