Super Units in PA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, February 10, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Okay so now we've all been told that PA will NOT have experimentals. Yet has no one else noticed in the original concept models they had a humongous super unit? It's roughly 5 or 6 times larger than the commander in a whole. Now I don't know if this thing will still be used but the way I see it it'd be slow, extremely slow, a lot of health, damgage, etc... It seems to be sort of like what was in TA, the Krogath.

Ex Images:

https://forums.uberent.com/attachments/pa_megabot_01_backers-jpg.9650/

https://forums.uberent.com/attachments/pa_megabot_02_backers-jpg.9651/

Megabot <3
    iron420 and Nightovizard like this.
  2. Nightovizard

Nightovizard Member

It seems that there are going to be units of higher tier, however that doesnt mean they need to be considered experimental units, just way stronger ones.

So excited about this!
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Experimental, Mega____, Super Units, they're all the same thing with different names.

Mike
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

*cough*

NO.

It has been denied multiple times. Honestly, just spam more. No, seriously. You need more. You have 40 dox factories?? Double it. That too boring? build a NUKE! Or some HALLEYS......
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  5. verybad

verybad Active Member

Once fully moddible, I'm sure this sort of thing will be available in many forms.
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I believe Neutrino mentioned something about the mega bot being available for modders or something... I personally would welcome the super units, but i understand this isn't supcom heh
    tristanlorius likes this.
  7. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind commander-or-larger units, but I don't think anyone really wants "kill everything" megabots. Something like a walking Umbrella would be a good example.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well yes I agree.
    They are the same things with just different names, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. All I mean't was that this thing seemed to contradict their previous statements about having now Super Units, Experimentals, etc... Though I don't KNOW If they plan on using it: it would be interesting.. Now something I found very interesting about this Megabot was that it seems to have a nanolathe- izer? Not sure the name, anyway it looks like it may actually be able to create things is what I'm pointing out. Obviously a super unit it could possibly be done like the Krogath in TA as I had mentioned in my previous post.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

That model is actually in the game files as a .papa, but it won't be used as is since it was just an experiment by neutrino to see if the community as a whole was interested in them--which we are not. It is possible that they will use something similar, but it isn't finished anyway, it was just a basic placeholder for the real unit.
  10. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I think that's an unfair statement. The fact we have a new thread on the topic every 48 hours is proof a significant portion of the active community wants them. I want some really heavy units but I don't want anything that would invalidate the units that we already have. A heavy unit is not "super" or "experimental" if it fills a specific role and is not a "base breaker".
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Perhaps it is a bit biased, but as far as I have been told and know, they are not planned to be in the final release of the game. Mods are welcome, but Uber won't add these units themselves. Also, I don't count a heavy unit as experimental if it reasonably exploitable weaknesses, just like every other unit in the game.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Given that this was from way way back, has it's own massive thread and has already been discussed in depth/to death.

As for it's capabilities, given that it's a white-box model, there is no way to guess what it was supposed to do, assuming it was even "designed" with something specific in mind.

Mike
    Last edited: February 10, 2014
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We should take bets on how many times this will be brought up before the game launches.
  14. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

The last comment I saw on the subject of super units from Uber was on Reddit the other week.

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryannihilation/comments/1x368d/interesting_unit_idea/

To quote Uber_Neutrino
    *So I'm not actually against super units at all. I've commented on this before but things like the metal planet are going to make super units look un-super pretty quick. The future of PA is crazy scale.

However, we aren't concentrating on super units at the moment as we are still constructing the game. It will continue to evolve, and yes mods will have their place as well.*
    tristanlorius, EdWood and iron420 like this.
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Im pretty sure we will get after release main big mod with new tiers of units and more units in t1-2 tiers, just like in FAF.
  16. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I still maintain that a mega-unit is the most obvious, reasonable and balanceable solution to the invasion problem.

We will continue to get these partial-fixes with huge holes in them (like the teleporter and the unit cannon and the interplanetary nuke) until someone eventually admits that a highly specialized invasion unit is the only thing that makes sense, won't be OP in other uses and will actually work in all scenarios.

'Til then, just try to learn to enjoy stalemates because they will continue to be inevitable.
  17. leighzer

leighzer Member

Check out this thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/suborbital-aircraft.53849/#post-823485
    EDIT: I see you already have been there now.
    Besides the point anyone else should check out that thread that has the same thoughts as Slamz. This proposal is quite interesting.
  18. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

Why not have a massive planetary invasion spider-bot that could be fired onto an enemy planet that is armed with anti-nukes, umbrellas, light anti-air, and a built in teleporter that has a spin-up time but no ground weapons making it weak to bots, tanks and ships.
  19. allister

allister Active Member

Super units is quite a controversial subject. I'm a fan of it right now because it's getting pretty lame spamming the same units over and over again. It feels like something is missing. This may or may not change when more unit types are put in game.

There should atleast be a first-pass pure gameplay test of one, either official or in a mod, before people start deciding it's a terrible idea. I want a huge unit that you fear, that makes you yell "GATHER EVERYTHING, AN LN-43 [ex. name] IS COMING!":D
    wheeledgoat and iron420 like this.
  20. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Can you please refrain from posting stuff from the backers forum into general discussion. There's a good reason why it was posted just there and if people start bringing stuff from the backers forum into general forums then we will see a decline of stuff revealed to the backers. This was an experiment form uber to see what the interest in megabots is and it turned out most people don't like it. That's why there's most likely not gonna be a megabot, at least not for the release.

As for my own view on the super units: I'm against the what we know from sup-com to be experimental units. Those were made intentionally overpowered and thus made sure that any non-experimental unit was made redundant, additionally PA is about huge armies rather than single units. I'd love a megabot though, but only in a sense as something with the strength of a commander (without the uber cannon of course, but still with great devastating power, and probably the worst resource efficiency in the game). And we all know how quickly those fall in late game. That way we get "super units" but they are basically T3 rather than experimental tech.
    Last edited: February 10, 2014