Super Units as Exo-suit

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by RCIX, March 15, 2013.

?

Do you like the idea?

1. Yes, absolutely!

51 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Yes, with reservations

67 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Meh

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. No, unless if it was done right...

27 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. No

56 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

I skipped most of the 16 pages of this thread, but has anyone motioned the simple gesture of just making a Mod Exo-suit? :D
  2. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I think i read that somewhere...

I just thinked about looking about the result of the poll.
    The community seems torn about the idea, but mainly interested.
    Delicate topic !
  3. cptkilljack

cptkilljack Member

I would be fine with having the suit. But I also want the Super units. I would build super units to protect my base more than sending them to attack the enemy. There are different uses for Super units you just have to think of strategies. Why protect your base when many units when you can have a super unit protect it while the cheaper units go and attack your enemy.
  4. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

5. Vieral

Vieral New Member

went through the first three pages of the same three people whining to eachother over how they want the game to play. please tell me there's something useful in there for the dev team besides those guys trying to be 'Always-Right-man'?
  6. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Very interesting discussion. I'd like to add some thoughts to it.

(and please excuse my very poor english)

I like the idea of a vulnerable commander that is like a avatar. But I've ever played a mode where the destruction of the commander is NOT the end of the game. And most of the time, if the commander were destroyed, it was a bad feeling, but it was not that bad for the match. Because I've had all the engineers that could build the same stuff as the commander or even more.

Sometimes it is very funny to grab your commander with a transport aircraft, unload him at the enemy base and press strg+D. That is a greater benefit than using him as a construction unit.

I also like the idea of a commander that should not be present upon of the battlefield. Because he is the LEADER of the battlefield. He is the commander. So he should lead the battlefield from distance.
    This would mean, he uses weapons only for defense.

On the other hand a commander has to be strong. He has to be untouchable in a physical way, because his role is so important. So he needs a big armor or a shield that protects him. Or a tool that helps him to escape, when he is in danger. The commander is a unit that has to be high resistable, because the is so relevant.

But why is he such relevant? What makes the commander that special?

This leads to the problem that the commander is not a combat maschine, but also not an engineer. He is very important on a philosophical level, but not in reality.

I think it would be good to make some changes to the commander. But what kind of changes?

He has to be more unique in a gameplay perspective and not only on a philosophical level.

For example: He could be the only one, who can build factories. Then he is a special engineer unit and no other unit can build what he can.
  7. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

I kinda like the idea but then again no. useing ur commander( the king ) as a warmachin iiii dont know.
    Sure woulde be cool tho to be abel to upg him inorder to deal with the higer tech`s and more dps unit`s.
    that way he woulde not die instant to a vanguard drop :) or something like that

Im late:(
  8. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I imagine the topic has long since passed the Chess argument, but I have to say that comparing a turn based strategy game with pre-determined armies to a REAL-time strategy game where the armies are generated based on the concept of an economy seems like a pretty flawed analogy to me. I'd much rather compare it to jitjitsu, except the flaw there is that jiujitsu doesn't really have an early or end game situation, just a lot of advantage situations where the end could come more easily.
  9. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I still like the idea about building a suit a shell whatever around your commander.

its expensive, you commander becomes more powerful. it cant be repaired, not to make it unkillable. now commander cant be taken off world.

So its a risk reward, to i make my commander a huge monster, but risk staying here fighting, because it would take time to de-assemble the suit again. maybe as much time as to build it perhaps.

or even more i like the idea of a building you can build around your commander, again, risk reward, i picture it kinda like skynet or matrix, The commander is THE AI, that controls it all. So when you build a special building around your commander, which could then boost something, again it would take about as much time to tear down as to build.

Could have an option when building to boost metal by x %. power by x %, speed of units by x % , dmg of units by x% health of units by x %.

I just feel like commander should have more risk reward, than just being, oh right i better be careful he doesnt die and get sniped late game.

or maybe the game simply lacks some lategame tech that the commander can only build, him being the most advanced unit. To actually having to make some choice, instead im just gonna place him where he is hardest to kill. Some risk reward moving him to the front line.