[SUGGESTION] Hear commander explosion from any point

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, August 23, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I'm kinda surprised that this isn't already in the game. But since the commander death has a neat new sound effect, it'd be pretty cool if you heard it no matter what planet your camera is focused on.
    Now.
    I know.

Sound doesn't exactly have the best time by travelling through the vacuum of space, but not shooting for realism, shooting for awesome, etc, etc, etc.

Overall it'd just be cool, it'd give you a better idea of when one of the enemies are downed in a larger game.
    That, and I like the Hunger Games.
    Last edited: August 23, 2014
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

These two sentences are all that matters. Do it Uber. Do it for the tributes!
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It... Used to be in the game?
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. tehtrekd

1362442599432.jpg
    WHY WOULD THEY REMOVE IT?!
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm going to take a swing at an opposing stance.

We shouldn't be able to hear the explosion, we shouldn't get a notification, and we shouldn't see their name crossed off the list.

At least, we shouldn't see their name crossed off the list until we scout out their commander wreckage or something.

Why give us free intel?

When an enemy dies, a bunch of map control just became available. So why tell us that for free?
    Taxman66, zweistein000 and ef32 like this.
  6. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

That's what I would only activate in competitive, not when playing "casual" though.
  7. allister

allister Active Member

The planet needs to shake somewhat violently too. Like in TA, you knew a commander blew up when the map shook a bit.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

You can hear and feel a nuclear blast for hundreds of miles, and they can still break windows up to ~500 miles according to some tests. (Google is too vague for me to be willing to source, but look this up and you'll find a few pages of information) With the size of PA planets, we sure should be able to know somebody blew up, it should then be our job to scout out who died.
  9. brianpurkiss

Ooh. I like that.

Tell us that a nuke went off, leave it up to us to figure out who died.
  10. tehtrekd

Oh yes, because that territory that was just won by someone is totally just up for grabs, isn't it?
    "A commander somewhere died, better send some fabricators to what is no doubt a HIGHLY MILITARIZED AREA DROWNING IN UNITS to take some of those metal spots!"

Yeah, no.
    While I agree the explosion shouldn't be seen, knowing and hearing when someone died isn't a problem.
  11. brianpurkiss

Did I say that you should send unguarded fabricators into the heart of the enemy army?

No.

I did say that territory is up for grabs. This means territory that isn't the heart of the base. Even if it is in the heart of the base, a lot of those units, possibly all of those units, were just destroyed by the comm explosion.

It is territory up for grabs. Is it free? No. Never said it was free.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It should be an option.

But... it does make sense, that explosion is VERY large, I am pretty sure you would be able to notice such a thing realistically from anywhere. Maybe make it a perk of orbital radar.
  13. brianpurkiss

Just because there's an explosion doesn't mean I know who died.
  14. thetrophysystem

It does if you use TeamExplosionColor.
  15. tehtrekd

Meh.
    It's still not a good idea to go for it, you'll probably be attacked from people with radar coverage or by the guy that just killed the previous owner's commander before you can really establish a foothold.
    (speaking of which, people with radar coverage will notice units/structures disappearing one by one when someone dies, should that be taken out too so that nothing is known? After all, you didn't KNOW they died)

The whole "grayed out/red strike on downed players" thing is just in all multiplayer games, so it'd be weird if it was randomly abandoned. Is it a good mechanic? That's subjective, but it is good (if less realistic) to know when someone's out of the game.

Also, your proposed solution has some awkward situations.
    Let's say you blindly nuke someone and by chance take out a commander, should it tell you that you just killed a commander? If so, should it tell you WHO you killed? For all you know it could've been a commander that wasn't on the same team as the intel would suggest.

Should it deceive you until you confirm otherwise by saying the intel was right? Should there be a yellow line that basically says "status unconfirmed"?
    Actually... that sounds really cool.
  16. brianpurkiss

If an adjacent enemy player is taken out, you should always put forth an effort to take their map control. Especially if you're the one who just took out the enemy. At least take some map control. Map control and a large economy is key to a win. Don't give up map control without a fight.

Time and time again I watch videos where the enemy commander dies and no one takes their map control. A ton of free metal spots just opened up and no one bothers to claim them.

Huge mistake.
  17. thetrophysystem

It does sound cool. That's why I would love it be an option.

Where you have a grey dot in the corner of the commander icon to show you have no contact with that commander (no vision of any of his units whatsoever), a white dot if you have a visual of any of his units, a yellow dot if you have a visual of any of his units on the same planet as your units (dangerous proximity), an orange dot if his commander is in vision and otherwise located, and a red X if you have confirmed his defeat (it was within your vision range when it occured).

Currently, that would technically mean anyone you didn't witness killed would be an "unknown" until you scout everywhere and notice you don't see anyone but a certain color. They would remain grey, and you would just assume them to be dead if you scouted most everywhere without seeing them.
  18. tehtrekd

Hm.. a PA version of the BIKINI state system?
    I like this idea...
  19. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

PUT IT BACK I NEED TO SAW IF A ARM VEIN WAS ANNIHILATED
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I would love to hear it when somebody dies. Would also be cool that everybody can see the explosion.

I love explosions <3