Suggestion: Chronocam Commanderdeath blips

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Remy561, April 28, 2014.

1. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

When I finish a game I mostly look back on how all the commanders died.

So I thought it would be neat if the chronocam timeaxis would have tiny tags / timestamps which would show when a commander died. For example a yellow blob on the white axis which sends you to the yellow commander 10 seconds before he/she died when you click that blob. So now you can see on the timeaxis where in time each commander died and you can easily select the timepoint to see what happened.

It's a small addition to the chronocam which would make looking through the game much easier in chronocam and replays ;)
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  2. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

There are lots of things I'd like to see added to the ChronoCam interface. Commander blips is a great idea. I believe that such a feature could be added right now by a motivated and intrepid modder. All the data is already at your fingertips. :)
    Murcanic, cwarner7264 and Remy561 like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think @raevn was building on something like this a while ago. Dunno what became of it.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I couldn't reliably get the current game time (it was only updated while the chronocam window was open). I released it on the forum, but didn't push it to PAMM because of the problems this caused. I should re-visit to see if that has changed.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-chronocam-markers.55449/
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Cant you just use real time? Like store the real time at the start of the game and at every event?
    Would break once we _finally_ get a pause function though.
  6. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I fixed that behavior yesterday. Game time will be sent to the ui every frame. This won't make the next patch, but it will be in 'soon'.
  7. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Excellent. Is that driven by the client or the sim? - I was looking for a way to detect disconnects and notify the player sooner, but since most messages are only sent when something changes, it's easy to get long idle periods (false positive)
  8. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

The sim writes history, the history server sends it (along with a value 'end of time'), which will ( soon) be sent to the UI. So if the sim or servers stalls, the time value should stop increasing.
    wondible likes this.