Submerge: Really interesting-looking RTS on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cwarner7264, August 3, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icebirdstudios/submerge-underwater-rts

I probably can't say much more on here that isn't already on their Kickstarter page. Looks like the game is largely complete to a certain level and they're looking for some extra funds to bolt on some more features.

I've been invited by the developers to play a few games with them - hopefully I can record it and pop the video up on here!
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

So there's a bunch of people doing a playtest with the devs tonight, going to be streamed and recorded in lots of different places. I'll pop some links in here when I get home!
  3. cwarner7264

4. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

That reminds me of Submarine Titans
  5. xankar

xankar Post Master General

A game with all the micro of sc2 without any basebuilding. plus the claustrophobic zoom that plagues every recent rts. Add on the meta game known as a game of chicken and you get Submerge.

10/10
    xerkt, stuart98 and tehtrekd like this.
  6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Eh...
    I'm with Xankar on the camera. It's so zoomed in it almost looks like a MOBA instead of an RTS.

My biggest red flag is that they don't seem to be doing anything with the underwater setting.
    The combat looks interchangeable with Starcraft. Only in Starcraft there was at least some micromanagement to be had, but in this there seems to be... well, nothing. Five or six units meet five or six other units, they shoot at each other a little bit and one side runs away.

Come on, you're making an underwater submarine-based RTS, go all out.
    Why not, instead of the usual RTS fog of war you have some kind of sonar system that pings every couple seconds and gives you a brief look at what is outside your view?
    Why not have engagements be more about long range torpedo battles instead of the usual close range gun battles every other RTS offers?
    But no, instead it just looks more like Diet Starcraft. :/
    stuart98, tunsel11 and xankar like this.
  7. cwarner7264

Here's a cast I did of one of last night's games: