Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You are welcome! :p

I haven't decided if I'll transfer my key to Steam myself yet. It depends on what's needed for testing by Uber.
  2. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

As for me? Full steam ahead!

Get it!?
  3. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

So the down side to switching the game key to a Steam key is that I will require Steam?

Since the final version will be playable offline, and Steam is playable offline, is there a downside to this? Or is this only an issue now during the alpha & beta?
  4. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

I think the only downside is, once you've installed it on steam, you can't use the standalone version without buying another key.

No doubt, I'll still be converting my copy to steam.
  5. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

What if I wanted to install a copy on a server, and another copy (same key) on my PC?
    Would it be best to leave it with the Ubernet launcher?
    Because if I need steam, it can only be logged in from one PC at a time right?
  6. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

I think server software is free
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The server doesn't need a key. Running the game doesn't either actually. The "key" is just something attached to your Ubernet account. Connecting to Ubernet in the client launcher allows you to connect to our servers for downloading updates or playing hosted matches. Steam just replaces you needing to enter in your Ubernet credentials to login. The server does not need to connect to Ubernet as it exists so you can play games with out connecting to Ubernet.

We'll likely have some stand alone updater that downloads only the public server that works regardless of if you've linked your Ubernet PA key to Steam or not.
  8. Causeless

Causeless Member

That's already been answered by neutrino, I'm instead asking, that if in theory someone with USB keys was given a customer commander from the $1000 backer people (they get 5 gift keys to hand out), would it propagate over to their USB and digital keys or only one?
  9. UberPeewee

UberPeewee New Member

Gonna use Steam as i keep all my games in one place ;)
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Think of the 5 gifted keys as 'Account DLC', if I were to give you one my 1KCC Keys and you used it, what you're doing is telling the UberNet servers "Listen up yo, I get access to KNight's Commander ya hear me?"

I think.

Mike
  11. poulpator

poulpator New Member

I hope it will be always possible to play LAN without steam.

I do not play solo, and sometimes with friends we play in places where internet is absent.
    I hope this game, made by fans too, will keep this liberty.
    Moreover steam sucks...u can find it normal when u can't play because steam (or other useless prog)is offline, upgrading, locking your computer because you connect in different areas (we have laptops....)giving you plenty of adds (but games are at the same price)or something else... I don't find it normal...Surely because i'm a gamer of the 2000's. I hope the dev know what i'm talking about^^
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There is no requirement whatsoever to use steam to play the game. If you don't want to use steam then don't use it, pretty simple.
  13. antillie

antillie Member

As an avid Steam user and gamer from the 90's I am not familiar with the Steam issues you are describing.

However to address your concern Steam will always be optional as long as you buy PA from Uber instead of buying it through Steam. No internet connection will ever be needed to play solo or on a LAN with your friends if you all buy the game directly from Uber.

So, buy the game from Uber, and you will never ever have to install Steam. It will be like you bought it on GoG.
  14. poulpator

poulpator New Member

Thanks for that!
    (with steam, if you play on your computer...and the day after, on your laptop or a friends computer...steam will block your accont, waiting for a code sent in your email. And, even if the program tell me so, it never record the diferent computers...boring...)
  15. antillie

antillie Member

I have an awful lot of computers and I have never had this issue with Steam.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Probably you disable Steam Guard? Eh?
  17. antillie

antillie Member

Nope. Why would bother to do that?
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have no idea, but when Steam released on Linux I got lot of testing and bug reporting.
    And each time I load steam on new hardware/system it's asked me to get code from email.
  19. bigpony

bigpony New Member

That is Steam Guard doing its job. It is to make sure it is really you. That is not an problem to me. I switch between my desktop, laptop and mobile steam pretty much on a daily basis and I get the queries from time to time. How hard is it to check your email and enter the validation code?
  20. antillie

antillie Member

I have only ever had to do the validation code thing once on each machine I own. I find this to be a perfectly acceptable compromise between usability and security and I appreciate the additional protection that it provides for my Steam account.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.