Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerzanista

zerzanista New Member

But did you really want them to base the price around your DONATION?
  2. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

You will already know the answer, yes. Hence them setting it at that price, it's the same as the Kickstarter and their own Store.
  3. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Be that as it may. The fact that we are all here discussing this shows that whatever goals you were aiming to achieve through a Steam Early Access release have been supplanted by deserved or undeserved angst over its pricing.
  4. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

Kickstarter is a fundraiser, steam is not. Buying off this site nets you a collector's edition of sorts, the steam version is early access ONLY for $90. Nothing justifies that.
  5. zerzanista

zerzanista New Member

This is the same fault I have that I've mentioned before. Kickstarter is a place that you willingly donated for the growth of this game; where Steam's Early Access is a place where consumers can purchase the game (usually less than retail price having seen other early access games) and contribute to its development. Early Access is not a Donation platform it is a platform used to draw consumers in earlier to increase publicity, sales, and development progression all at the same time. This pricing has backfired on Uber in my opinion, and it will most likely leave a bad taste in the mouths of Steam users all the way up until final release.
  6. lordmd

lordmd Member

Seems threads at the Steam forum are being deleted - and already people are complaining there. I already can see them whining about "censorship" and stuff like that...

Make sure to tell them it's because of the spam(making 1000 threads) and that complaining about the prices in 1 thread is totally okay.
  7. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Steam isn't a fund raiser? So where do all the funds go when people pay for games on it, down the drain?

Early Acces is that exactly, pay to get early access and support the developers, it's Steam's own spin on it all.
  8. dd111

dd111 New Member

the core issue here is not whether there is or is not legitimate reason to make available alpha access on steam at such a high price.
    It really comes down to the public relations impact and the image this creates.

The first impression many people will see, is essentially that the game is available to buy on steam (in whatever form), and that the price is unfairly high, this implies a high level of greed. There is just no way of avoiding that, the backlash shows this to be the case.

The bottom line is it was a terrible mistake to make this available on steam at this stage.
    The perception is that steam is a shop, when people go to that shop and see a product at a this price point they react to it.

i think the only wise thing to do is simply to take this down from steam, it is pretty clear to myself and many others who have not played PA, that is is looking like an immensely high quality product.

There is just no reason to create such bad vibes about the game in this way. Just take it down and release it when its ready at the appropriate price point.
  9. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

"Fundraising or fund raising (also development) is the process of soliciting and gathering voluntary contributions as money or other resources, by requesting donations from individuals, businesses, charitable foundations, or governmental agencies (see also crowd funding)." Early Access is the game being sold early so bugs are to be expected, as is feedback from the people buying it. It is not a donation drive.
  10. veta

veta Active Member

this suggestion seems the most diplomatic but it makes a lot of problems for Uber: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/di ... 231055230/

Summary: CostCo approach to bad PR, give the kickstarter backers more stuff and sell early access on steam at an appropriate price - anyone that wants a refund from the uber store or steam would get one if they wanted.

The other approach is really to just weather the storm.
  11. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

*sigh* i wasn't saying it was an actual fundraiser. I was comparing it to one.

Steam Early Access is that, it doesn't matter if you don't want to beleive it but it's why it exists to get funds to developers as they build their games.
  12. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

You are incredibly wrong on so many levels about this, and the way you are looking at the topic is inherently skewed because you feel you should be entitled based off early support of a fundraiser. The point of early access on steam is bug testing, not furthering donations.
  13. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

You are right but that's not the only point. My views are not skewed by any measure.
  14. kiviar

kiviar New Member

If i were to be a cynic for a moment, I would say that the point of early access is to allow developers to sell unfinished and neigh unplayable games without Steam being any way liable for distributing a broken and unfinished product and nothing more.

This fiasco is why I really dislike the concept of paid betas.
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

From the Steam website:
    Anyway I don't feel a need to respond much to complaints about price at this point. The price will come down over time as we've planned.
  16. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

All the metacritic zeros make me want to take a baseball bat to some peoples house.

There is no excuse for ignorance in the information age.
  17. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

While a little extreme I do share your annoyance at the people doing it.

Think I will stop posting about it all now and hope things go back to normal in a few days :)
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47801&p=742936#p742936

Post some 10s to counterbalance the steam folk, until they clear the reviews and lock the page at 0 reviews until december. Lets join together to fix this.
  19. lordmd

lordmd Member

Nice. Mention this Steam Website quote at the Steam forums + add it in first post in the sticked thread there(if not already).
  20. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

you guys really should try to shut down the metacritic until the game is finished! All those negative idiots are going to bog down the user scores!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.