Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerzanista

zerzanista New Member

They should have discounted the Early Access Bohemia did with ARMA 3. Steam is the larger demographic to appeal to rather than their community.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I think we are on record that the price will come down over time. We really don't want 100k players right now anyway.
  3. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

You phrased that poorly. If you had put something like "our servers/dev team/whatever can't handle 100k people at this time" it would sound more customer friendly than saying you don't want us.
  4. neutrino

My point is that the price gating helps us manage load over time. We want people that are passionate about the game and can give us great feedback going forward. If you care enough to be posting here then we do want you!

And yes a 100k people right away would be bad on servers etc. We need to stage the rollout and pricing is a great way to do this. I also don't want to piss off the people that paid for early access already.
  5. deltex

deltex New Member

Please can we have a timeframe for the key converter? thanks.
  6. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Bingo there will be a couple thousand people who would extremely annoyed right now if Uber made it cheaper suddenly.

It WILL get cheaper over time, they already said that, so if people can't pay it right now be patient. It's not a joke, no secret motives or anything, it's a staggered roll out.
  7. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

Oh I totally get that it is an effective method, but from a consumer standpoint it is an underhanded one. You guys should have just let the kickstarter backers in and if you needed more just do extremely limited alpha screening from people who apply for it like pretty much every other alpha. This method just makes Uber look super greedy, especially since you raised so much over your goal on the Kickstarter, and with all the stuff going on with EA and Microsoft people are a lot more sensitive to it. IMO it would be wise to remove it from Steam until beta and refund anyone who did buy it from Steam to avoid further backlash. I'm not an expert in the subject of game releases by any means, but this seems like the only smart thing to do from what I'm seeing.
  8. lordmd

lordmd Member

Ha ha. Fun to see all the threads pop up in that Steam forum. I think the devs should make a sticky thread there to explain the pricing and reasons why they can't go lower at the moment(Kickstarter people would be pissed if others got into Alpha cheaper).

Edit: I saw there is already a thread there.
  9. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You should really make this a sticky on the steam discussion page. It's a viable strategy and you will let people know that the price WILL come down. Keep in mind these people are hearing about PA TODAY, they've likely never even heard of Uber or PA before.
  10. I rephrase that: We want as much money as possible from people therefore we use the price gating mechanic as that is what it is actually for. (testing out how much a customer is willingly paying for a product)
  11. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

Kickstarter was a fund raiser with the people who paid for it by donating; totally different than selling a game on steam for $90.
    Last edited: June 13, 2013
  12. crseth

crseth Member

When do I get to convert my key to steam? :mrgreen:
  13. neutrino

I'm not concerned about us looking greedy just because people don't understand what it costs to build videogames. If we made decisions based on fear of internet backlash we would never do anything.

We asked Valve to do pre-orders for the other versions and they refused due to policy. So it would have been my preference to have the different price points on the page.
  14. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Agreed Steam very much needs a sticky to explain it. Also threads need locking that keep on about it (may be a little extreme though).
  15. neutrino

Just checked on this, should be up within the next 24hrs.
  16. hunterx

hunterx New Member

Yes, lower the price, because the people who have only decided to purchase now should obviously get it at a far lower price than the Kickstarter backers who took a chance on the project long before anything playable was ready!

If you don't want to pay $90 then wait until the beta or final release, simple as that.
  17. realwar

realwar Member

Charging $90 for Alpha access on Steam is just wrong. If prices of alpha access are going to go down after a while, you should have just waited.
  18. gobhoblin

gobhoblin New Member

Apparently you guys don't understand what it costs to make one either if you made more than twice as much as the project goal on Kickstarter and still can't finish the game without charging $90 for it on Steam for Alpha access. Sucks about the Valve policies.
    Last edited: June 13, 2013
  19. crseth

crseth Member

Don't listen to people saying otherwise. Keep the price model where it is at. Better for everyone in long run I think

Edit:

Thanks!
  20. Telling your potential customers "you don't know **** about the cost of making games" is a really great idea to create a good image for yourselves. There are always several different ways to say the same thing. Maybe the company spokesperson on the forums should have more people skills, but idk.

I also think the game should stay really, really expensive because I cannot feel like a first grade customer in comparison if someone else (god forbid) could get a cheaper price.
    Last edited by a moderator: June 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.