Steam Early Access; No Alpha/Progenitor.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, April 24, 2014.

?

Is the lack of bonuses fair for Steam Early Access players fair?

1. Yes.

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soliderfighter

soliderfighter Member

I agree, does a commander really matter so much? I know you can show off that you've supported the game, right? And I didn't even know this... So now I really should have done more research although. But really as I said, does it matter? It doesn't change anything and MOST people don't care about the commanders anyway so if you have "more cool" commanders than others I don't think they'll notice them ;)
    ps: I paid 54 euro for the game which is about 60$ (back then at least).
  2. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Well it does feel slightly like a cheap move. I also bought the game when I first seen it on Steam, think it was almost £70 (Bought it the second day it came to steam) but I fully understood what I was buying at the time, I knew it was the most expensive game I ever bought, and it was still a risk. I have been fairly happy with my purchase, however, if there's a chance I can nab an extra commander or two, it would be welcome!

I also didn't realise at the time that the two different stores had different pre-order bonuses/rewards.. Probably wouldn't have made a difference for me as I had to split the cost between multiple payment cards and Steam is great for that.
    Last edited: April 24, 2014
  3. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Oh please, it would make no difference to you if others will get one Commander's skins more. Specially if they paid for it.

Again, it's just cosmetics. It doesn't minimally impacts on the game play. Nonetheless when you disappoint a portion of your customers base, you're doing no good to your business. Uber could have managed this aspect of PA way better.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

completely fair the kickstarter was advertised as well as it could be, they must have their advantages and not have them taken away, else they'll just be disgusted of kickstarting forever.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

But people not a part of the kickstand that paid for the game on the uber store were accidentally given these two commanders, they were on their receipts and so uber can not take them away. The only problem I have with this is that the people who paid the same amount of money the same time but different place didn't get the same treatment as compensation.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Think this *may* be the only argument here.
  7. squishypon3

It does to me and obviously some others; I know it's just a commander but I really liked the look of the Alpha, he was my favorite and he gave me the reputation, I owned alpha. Now I have nothing to show for it, I also don't get what someone who paid the same amount of money at the same time paid on the website. I didn't know there was any difference and was told I'd get the commanders (at least alpha commander.) I have been playing this game since the summer it came out, an early and had always expected to continue to have Alpha, especially since galactic edition buyers told me I would because they were both supposed to have the same goodies or so says Uber themselves, since they get those commanders, we should too.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Backer only content is just DLC..arguably even more evil. The sooner we get rid of it, the better, in my opinion.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  9. tatsujb

you're talking about an accident you can't give them out to everyone and anger all the kickstarters because a couple people got them.
  10. squishypon3

But the backers weren't angry that all the galactic edition players got them?
    I bought the same thing the Galactic edition buyers bought, I should and the other steam early access people who bought alpha should be given the commanders because I was told I'd get exactly what galactic edition gets, Uber has said this themselves, steam was supposed to be the same; we should be the same.
  11. enderdude

enderdude Member

i was kind of upset when i found out that i wasnt able to get the alpha commander for paying 90$, the price for getting him was over 90$. I still dont know why alpha participants cant get the alpha commander... I did get the progenitor though so i guess im kindof happy with that, but for the people that payed the price for it need these commanders, its probably the main reason they upped the dough
  12. tatsujb

actually yes, but they are humble folk, but best not to test them too much.
  13. squishypon3

Are you sure? 90$ teir as well as the 90$ galactic edition on the uber store got the progenitor and the alpha commander. The only ones without it, that should because of the galactic edition, is the Steam early access buyers who bought alpha for 90$ as well.
  14. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Backer rewards should never be in-game content, even if it is just cosmetic stuff. It will only sour (some of) the people who have no chance to acquire it, leaving them feeling like they don't have the full game. It is DLC 2.0..just paid beforehand with no way to get it afterwards. It is Evil (tm) and probably not even worth the inevitable hassle. (And the customers left with a bad impression due to their disappointment.)

Backer rewards should either be physical goodies, documentaries, soundtracks, or maybe something like the player's name having a different color in the multiplayer lobby and in-game to stand out.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

just my 2 cents
    it may have been said already but alpha and progenitor
    were part of the kickstarter, not early access or preorder for that you get the theta ...
    the reason early access was priced high has been said a multitude of times ... to not scam the kickstarter backers
    that made the game possible in the first place
    the information what you got with what version of your purchase was on the uberstorepage for when you missed the kickstarter ... so the information was there
    if you missed that or didnt bother to look it up
    i am sorry to say but that would be your own fault
    and i would be rather careful with steam in general
    especialy with their recent take on how to QA stuff ...

now is it fair that early access people dont get the progenitor and alpha?
    i dare say yes since those were limited to the kickstarter .... they ammong some badges are simply a sign of you having been part from the very beginning ... people who preordered or purchased early access still got the theta ... as far as i am concerned uber provided enough information
    as far as steam goes it is valves territory ...
    it was simply unfortunate that they didnt show the other perks that were available on the uberstore
    which i guess is the mainreason that outcry happened about the initial high early access price .... aside from people not caring reading the information provided to them ...

if you werent sure what you buyed into your best bet would have been coming to the forums and ask others for information before your purchase ..
  16. squishypon3

I understand that but what you have to realize is all the people who paid for Galactic Edition on steam (which uber themselves was supposed to contain the same things as the steam version) but a problem happened and all galactic edition people get alpha and progenitor even though they weren't supposed to originally; they have to have it because it was on their receipt, now.. my problem is people on steam were not given the commanders even though we had been told they were going to be the same.
  17. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Well I understand this. Because the reasoning for the high price on steam was: "Our kickstarter backers also paid that much." I think this was fair for everyone. Now wouldn't the same logic mean that the people who bought it through steam for the kickstarter price also get the rewards?

I know people are saying kickstarter backers had more risks but I think that Uber made money from the early steam release and this also helped developing the game so aren't these people also backers? I really can't understand why kickstarter backers would be angry at the people who bought into Alpha on steam for the same price as they did (if the steam people got the same rewards)... Maybe someone can explain?
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

again ... alpha and progenitor were kickstarter only
    people who bought the galactic edition shouldnt have access to the those either but to the theta and delta
    why people might have been angry? because they were the first to come help the game being possible to make in the first place .. what do you think would many people felt like when they knew that they may have got the same content afterwards anyway?
    it is a risk reward thing and those backers had to wait until they got hands on alpha by which in that period they were at the bigger risk of not getting the game at all ... by the time early access was possible to purchase it was clear that the game was in the making ...
    in other words the backers had actualy even a bigger risk then the early access purchasers who came later
    so imho this makes sense to have it that way ...
    it could have been better but honestly i dont see anything being wrong with how uber handeled the kickstarter and early access perks on their store ...
  19. enderdude

enderdude Member

yea, i participated in the kickstarter before the game was out, got it in june and played a bit, couldnt play much because of the lag
  20. squishypon3

But you don't get it... people who bought galactic edition DO have the two commanders, they do, they have the receipts and they can play them because it's what they paid for, it was a mistake but happened. All players who paid the same price should now get it or its unfair to all the people who bought alpha on steam as apposed to the site.
    bradaz85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.