Start Saying "GL HF"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Omegacomet, June 26, 2013.

1. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

The practice didn't originate with Starcraft. It originated in Quakeworld, or at least that was the first I saw of it.

And as for its impact on one's game performance, I shouldn't think it would matter all that much in a strategic game. (At least, not in PA's intended incarnation, once the game is balanced for proper play.) I'll go so far as to refrain from giving a single order until I have manually typed out "GL, HF" in any subsequent games I play, because by the time the game is in a fit state for competitive play, those few seconds lost won't be all that critical.
  2. neapolitanfrenchfrie

neapolitanfrenchfrie Well-Known Member

Like kval said, good luck have bacon in the uber tradition
  3. atatassault

atatassault New Member

I like to make a joke about pre/start match messages. I'll say "GL DIAF".
  4. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

The reason I don't tend to say "GL HF" is because, to me, the sincerity and thought behind an expression is partially correlated with how much effort a person has put into saying it. It's why I'd rather slog through reading a 3000 word post entitled "A short treatise on the negative implications of multi-planet warfare with limited opportunities for spaced based conflict and an economical proposal of how to rectify this." than read a single sentence post along the lines of "devs, can we habe space battles leik star wars cus it would be AWESOME plz".

I know it's meant well, and I'm probably being an old fogey, but 4 initials just don't seem to mean that much to me. If someone uses the 4.5 seconds it takes to type out in full "Good luck. Have fun." I know I'm talking to an actual gentlemen, as opposed to someone whose going to act like a **** regardless, and just typing the four letters because it's expected.
  5. asgo

asgo Member

one could always write a mod that does that for you. ;)

if you put enough work into it you could have an intriguing chat bot which occupies your opponents with deep discussions, while you take the time to demolish their bases.

ok they will probably get suspicious if the bot is the only one who uses complete words.
  6. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Exactly what you said.
  7. Damo116

Damo116 New Member

I usually say glhb (good luck have batman) and they are supposed to reply with "BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN" but nobody ever does :?
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i either go with gorath: "prepare for your doom, earthscum..."
    or coop cooplowski:" ROOOOOOOOOOCK OOOOOOOOON !!!!! "

or just gl hf (but seriously since when is this a starcraft only thing? some people realy need to put out that stick out of their butts..)
  9. mikespa78

mikespa78 New Member

Saying "GL HF" is rather worthless if people do not mean it.

Just saying... too often that is what happens. Even cheaters and exploiters may as well say it once it's expected of everyone to just "say it".

I'd rather have people who have something to say to say what they actually mean, or nothing at all ;)

I would be all for encouraging "fair play", but I don t see how promoting to say a formulaic "GL HF" would help in that regard.

(... I can just imagine having people nerd rage at someone because he did not say the "expected formulaic abbreviation" before they themselves behave like an idiot in game :p LOL)

/shrugs.

I mean seriously, as said above by someone else: ... if you actually want to wish someone "good luck and to have fun".... you might at least have the courtesy to spell it out - at the very least - or even better, you might even *gasp* type a full sentence... or even promote fair play in game by example.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I say we should start by "Here have a Cookie *passes the cookie bowl*" it's a bit long but quite to my liking
  11. dacite

dacite Member

Trying to force a culture always fails. These sorts of things develop naturally.
  12. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

For victory
    TPIM! -> This Planet Is Mine!
  13. Vijar

Vijar New Member

"DEL or die!"

;)
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

time wasting..people do write abreviations for that reason ..
    and it´s still better than absolutly nothing ..
    funny enough you yourself just show HOW MUCH you read into it ..
    i have no problems with just a formulaic greeting in game ..
    DEMANDING people to wright full sentence greetings or to shut up imo is as much
    of a dickmove then your opponent wrighting nothing ..
    who or what are you or i to demand such things from other people in a competitiv match?
    just wright your or the standart stuff .. if your opponent does aswell cool .. if nothing .. just go crush him .. done

+1
  15. Devak

Devak Post Master General

When someone says GLHF to me, i usually am like "im so gonna die".

GLHF to me means "im pro ya noob!"

or maybe i just played against the wrong people ha ha
  16. asgo

asgo Member

hmm that seems to be a good example why some people prefer abreviations. ;p
    <ducks for cover>

otherwise I agree, forcing somebody to obey to some way of communicating seldom works.

Also, one can always learn something about the type of player your opponent is by reading/listening to his chat, so forcing something onto him would be counterproductive. :)
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

XD ahahahaha

I still stand by my phrase. I shall use it and I won't care if I'm the only one to.
  18. Omegacomet

Omegacomet New Member

I will sometimes catch myself saying it as kind of a good luck charm also.
  19. little

little New Member

Most likely ;)
    "gl hf" is a standard of good manners in most rts, so it's not unlikely that you are just playing against experienced rts players.
  20. turroflux

turroflux Member

If people want to say glhf they will, and if they don't they won't. Tbh its some bullshit residual ritual from sc:bw and sc2 imported from Korea due to how polite they are (or be banned from the internet due to having games linked to your ss:no./pss equivalent).

Same with gg. Most people do it because most other people do it. I don't remember either being prevalent before sc:bw got "popular". Its an easy trend to follow from sc:bw -> first moba -> wc3 -> dota -> wow -> sc2 -> lol. These scenes have dominated all online culture for the past 15 years. You'd be amazed at how these games had a catalyst like nature on gaming culture.

/Rant.