Star Wars BattleANTICLIMAX

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, April 17, 2015.

1. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

I'm really temped to get this, the beta was really fun for me, and it looked like the release game has more really nicely made maps and game modes. It appeals to my causal gaming requirements.
    Still the full price is a little steep and the DLC price is troublesome.
  2. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Can't tell if serious or joke, but if serious, honestly just wait. That way you'll at least know what the DLC even is. Plus the variety of gameplay, even for a casual audience is not worth the asking price right now.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Please don't project your own personal dislike of a game over someone elses' like of it.

They don't have to be joking to have a different opinion.
  4. mwreynolds

I'm serious i had lots of fun playing the Beta.
    I really liked the no stop action, and asymmetrical maps and rebel, empire dynamic.
    I'm not saying i like the pricing model for the DLC.

But that alone doesn't stop a game from being fun to play.
    And if a game is fun to play even a high price can be worth it for some people.

If i hadn't played the beta i wouldn't even think about getting it.

The high price along with the DLC plans have stop me from getting it so far.
  5. wpmarshall

I'm not projecting my opinion, it's not my business whether someone else likes the game or not, however I offered advice as to 'how' to go about buying it to get the best value for money.
  6. Gorbles

You made it your business when you asked if the poster was joking. Though that's a bit meta, so I'll leave that tangent there.

My input is: any game is worth it if you can see yourself getting enough value out of what is being offered. Ignore people telling you it's good. Ignore people telling you it's bad.

Only you know how many hours entertainment you can get out of a product. Nobody else can say what is or isn't worth the asking price. Read up on the product itself and decide if it's good for you. That's the best thing to do in this day and age.
  7. wpmarshall

This is kinda why the gaming industry is going the way it is at the moment - self-serving consumerism. It feeds practices which appear 'acceptable' while furthering BS anti-consumer nonsense. Think 'bigger picture' and that'll lead to better value for you in the long run.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I too had a lot of fun in the beta.

Webby here was quite surprised when I told him I'd not be buying it after it came out.
    But, in the end, the thing that finally convinced me SWB was just another EA ripoff was the price point. I can list reason after reason why you should most certainly wait to experience this game, but that is the biggest one in my mind. It'll also save you over $120 or half a textbook, depending on who you ask. :)
    But that's why he's asking us (or I would assume so). He's gone a bit beyond playing the beta (woohoo) or watching videos or reading review articles. Now he's wondering about feedback from others. Certainly the route I went.

Marshii was over the top, but it shows how much of a joke he thinks this game is. That's just his opinion.
    websterx01 likes this.
  9. Gorbles

Blaming individuals such as myself for the actions of a capitalistic industry might make you feel better, but it isn't accurate and won't actually help matters. The issue of the tone being incredibly unprofessional for a moderator aside.

The market is driven by simple supply and demand. Games that people don't want to play, will end up not being bought. Information about games is good and well, but what you're doing is fabricating an illusion based on emotional input. You're not even reviewing the game, or analysing the game as an art form. You're just saying "this is bad end of story".

The games industry isn't one monolithic entity. There are AAA games, AA games, indie games and everything inbetween. They all act in different ways and practise different business practises. If you want to talk about the "bigger picture" I'm very happy to, but at the moment it seems like you can't handle a forum member having a different opinion to you on a video game. Give it half an hour, come back to the thread, whatever works. I honestly (and I can't stress that enough) didn't mean to upset you in whatever manner I have.

I buy games that work for me. I don't care who decides to call them bad games. My spare time is my own, and I won't be bullied into not buying games because someone thinks they aren't worth the money. I get to decide what is worth my money, thanks.
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I brought Battlehype :( i play it on the PS4
    I was hoping it would have some minor resemblance to the original battlefront games...
    I sit here sorely disappointed, it feels like a step backward from what i played nearly 10 years ago.

Here's my rating of the game..
    Graphics 9/10
    Gameplay 3/10
    Overall 4/10

Pro's
    - It's Starwars?
    Con's
    - No galactic conquest
    - Can't host custom games
    - No more Droids for "Healing" and "Ammo", now health regenerates halo style, and ammo is infinite.
    - Gameplay and Game-modes feel like a massive step backward from original battlefront games
    - Air combat needs work.. The controls are great but all the maps are literally just open sky with a nice lanscape, no cover or obstacles, no trench runs or canyon runs.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just be careful with that train of thought. That line of thinking almost killed uber and PA. The detractors totally adamant they are 'saving' would be customers from the evil that is uber. I think most of us here would agree, a few mistakes were made but uber isn't evil and was motivated by necessity as much as anything, and delivered in the long run.

I'm not a battlefront fan, haven't played the older games for example. That said I tried the beta and thought it looked good and played well. The game price looks ok to me, though the dlc is steep. I mean PA attracted a lot of critics for not following TA or Sup Com closely enough, yet I think what they did makes sense for PA. How much of the issues players have with battlefront stem from actual problems compared to the 'feeling' they got from earlier titles? I mean nostalgia is great but also dangerous. It's very hard to capture that 'awe' factor of playing something new for the very first time, maybe even impossible?
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'd be a bit wary. My step dad had bought it on console, and while it was rather fun for a while- It really loses steam rather quickly. Because there aren't that many maps tbh.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  13. mwreynolds

I never played the other games.
    The beta was hella fun for me, even with only one map.

I would only get it as a causal game, bit like playing some CSGO.
    Not looking for anything deep.
    But ganna hold fire for now, wait until i see it at a good price.

I know some people won't like it for xyz, but that gose with all things, I've seen films i've loved that have awful reviews.
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

if you could see what the older ones were like, I think you'd agree. Those maps were 10x larger and included space fights. SWBF2 had proper vehicle spawns as well.

This new one is just not SWBF, it's an arcade game.
    maxpowerz and tunsel11 like this.
  15. mwreynolds

So your judging by the standards of other games, and I'm judging it by itself.
    Fair enough.

But 10x bigger maps sounds awful to me, but space fight sim like xwing game would be epic.
    And the arcade natural of this game is what appease to me, for quick casual gaming, i'd hate for it to be like planetside 2, or battlefield huge unwieldy maps.
    It's the non stop action in this game I liked.
    Apples and pear and all that..
    Last edited: December 9, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. wpmarshall

BF2 maps weren't 10x as big, but they were just more interesting and varied in terms of environment and terrain. There were choke points, other points of significance where you always got fire fights, you had classes so you had varied combat, good spawns, vehicles and yes the space battles.
    Trust me, given you are waiting for BF to decrease in price, you'd enjoy BF2 while you wait, that's cheap as chips now.
    Personally I saw BF2 as an arcade game because it was just 'fun'. But that's up to you.
  17. mwreynolds

Sounds like what I've seen in Battlefront not sure whats missing apart the classes (you have decks instead) and the space battles are over a planet now :(.

Besides
    Are there even any online servers for battlefront 2 now?
    From steam page.
    "Multiplayer: GameSpy account require"
    I thought gamespy was gone.
    Last edited: December 9, 2015
  18. wpmarshall

Nah, you can use Gameranger for online servers.
  19. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

20. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

LOL, fixed that for ya.. hahahaha
    stuart98 likes this.