Spiritual Successor to Supreme Commander Forged Alliance?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by fafan, April 30, 2013.

1. fafan

fafan New Member

Hi All,

Im an avid player of Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and been playing Forged Alliance Forever(FAF) even till now. Basically the title says it all. Is PA something a FAF fan is looking for or should i look somewhere else?

I see a lot of similarities to FAF in PA but at the same time a lot of stuff removed and a chunk load of entirely different stuff that will totally change the gameplay compared to FAF, in other words, a totally different game which will not play like FAF.

In addition, PA seems like more of a Supreme Commander 2 sequel, to be honest, i consider SupCom 2 a blasphemy, super dumb down and a disgrace to Sup Com series.

To be clear i am not bashing PA, it looks awesome. Opinions much appreciated.
  2. veta

veta Active Member

Re: Spiritual Successor to Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

its a ta-clone with a solar system gimmick, much how supcom is a ta-clone with a complexity gimmick

i think the PA will be more approachable than supcom was initially and still capture that feeling of scale and simRTS gameplay.
    Last edited: April 30, 2013
  3. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

How in Hades' name did you get the impression this was supposed to be a SupCom 2 inspirated game?

Its a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation (FAF was also a spiritual successor to TA btw.).

The only big things that get removed, from the top of my head is:

- unit veterancy because of: annoying micro and balance issues for big units while little gameplay impact otherwise
    - building adjacency: again, pointless micro and restrictions for little gameplay impact
    - shields: great issue with game balance when no shields exist
    - slightly simplified economy: helps prevent the catastrophic stalling which happened in supcom, but works pretty much the same otherwise
    upgrades: again lots of micro for something that can be done with new units anyway

Again, how does this makes it a SupCom2 sequel? Most people in here absolutely hate SupCom2 or at least think it doesn't deserve this name, so explain yourself citizen! :twisted:
  4. veta

veta Active Member

veterancy was good outside of the ridiculous super T3 units. Getting veterancy on a T1 tank or LAB was always satisfying.

it should be noted though that stuff like adjacency and veterancy are being removed because they added very little depth.
    Last edited: April 30, 2013
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Hi, I am just as much an avid FA-Fan as you are :)
    The developers say that it is more a successor to TA than to FA. So it will definitely be a kinda different spin on the concepts than in FA.
    It's gotta have something new, otherwise there would not be a reason to play PA over FA ;) Since the community will be heavily involved into development from alpha onwards I am pretty sure that the danger of bad design choices -they happend in SupCom2- is very low.

Er, wait, how do you come to that concolusion? It is wrong. The leaddeveloper of PA wrote this about SupCom2:
    => viewtopic.php?p=711409#p711409

PA will not dump down the economy like SupCom2, neither will it dump down the size of maps, nor does it introduce researchpoints with a techtree.

That's the aim, but the current concept definitely still has hole in it.
  6. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I am wondering.

What basis do you use to say this :
    Very few gameplay was shown for now. So saying a lot of stuff was removed is probably a little early.
    Obviously, the map system has changed a lot. A spherical map is not a flat playground that RTS are used to, but the rest (unit feeling, movement, construction) ? Very similar.
    In other words, far from very different of FA & TA.

Beside, on the PA main site, there is no mention of SupCom2 anywhere.
    TA : check
    FA : check
    SupCom 2 : Hunhunnnn.

And last, what is the point of your post ? I do not understand.
    You have an idea on this game, and posted it.
    You want people to change your mind ?
  7. infowars

infowars Member

THAT explains why supcom 2 was such a disappointment. Reminds me of an interview with the leader of Tripwire interactive when he was getting people to playtest Red Orchestra 2
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call- ... interview/