Spectator/Caster GUI

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zihuatanejo, February 18, 2015.

1. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Chat discussion.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

abusing the forums as pastebin, eh? xD
  3. mikeyh

Sign back into chat ;-)
  4. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

...also these buttons upload_2015-3-21_11-14-34.png would be so handy for a spectator to quickly assess the composition of a clump of units on the fly. Obviously with some mechanism to filter which team's/player's units are being displayed - perhaps similar to the way vision is handled.
    upload_2015-3-21_11-16-45.png
    Remy561 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

They certainly would! Or get rid of them altogether and introduce a new 'casting panel' with various features.
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

should also ad idle commander to idletap ... and commander healthbar for both player and caster
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  7. zihuatanejo

Casted my first game today:

It has made me want the features talked about in this thread even more! Very frustrating to not be able to easily obtain key information whilst casting. Casters need DIFFERENT notifications from the players. Get rid of the current notifications, that's one thing, but if they could be replaced with things like:

"Player x has started an advanced vehicle factory"
    "Player y has started an orbital factory"
    "Player z has started a nuke"

etc, that would be sooooo good.

Also, the abilities to zoom to a player's commander, and more detailed breakdown of a player's army and eco. E.g. numbers for units by type (e.g. 300 mobiles units: 200 vehicle, 50 bot, 50 air). I'll try and compile an actual list of requests based on my own experiences and what anyone else suggests in this thread.
  8. zihuatanejo

Bump!

Ok so this is the big one for me. I've just got back into casting, recording, and streaming again, and I was disappointed to find that after a fair few months, the spectator GUI is still the same. I always intended to try and create a mod for this, as it involved web skills that I already have, HTML, CSS, JS, although I'm not so strong on JS (but I can learn!).

Now the best way I can think of to get this done is to collaborate with another modder. I'm happy to do most of the work but I'll need help learning how to mod the game in the first place. @cola_colin kindly gave me some advice in IRC back in the day, but I feel like I could do with a mentor to just guide me through it a bit. What I want is for someone to help me get to the stage where I can comfortably do the rest myself.

So, any offers? heh :D
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

use mikeyh's spectator mod
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  10. mikeyh

Still need to update it.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  11. zihuatanejo

Thanks, I'll check that out too. What's in the next update @mikeyh?
  12. mikeyh

Work in progress.... have some more chat stuff to do first.
  13. zihuatanejo

Let me know if you would like any assistance, if I can help, I would like to do so!